Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 23, 2015, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jigri2003
Some info:

Prepaid meal plan rates as of Feb 2015 per post 1305: (breakfast price updated as of Jan 2020)

Breakfast: 4860 xpf (tax incl) per person per day
Half board (breakfast and a 3-courses dinner): 13 053 xpf (tax incl) per person per day
Full board (breakfast, a 2-courses lunch and a 3-courses dinner): 17 632 xpf (tax incl) per person per day.

Breakfast 50% discount: available only at check in time if it is taken for the entire stay. It does not apply for half board and full board. Post 1376

Guaranteed Upgrade Costs as of January 2015 per post 1293

Emerald to Sapphire: 15,000 XPF + 14% taxes per night
Emerald to Diamond: 25,000 XPF + 14% taxes per night
Emerald to Diamond Otemanu: 35,000 XPF + 14% taxes per night
Emerald to Diamond End of Pontoon: 45,000 XPF + 14% taxes per night

Full prepayment prior to arrival required

Direct Boat Transfers to/from Airport One-way: 7334 XPF (updated Dec 2019) (about 15 minutes). Resort will email you to arrange this ahead of time if desired.

Boat transfer from the Airport is not mandatory despite what any hotel emails might imply to the contrary. It's possible to take the free Air Tahiti shuttle to Vaitape (15 minutes), followed by a taxi to the IC Le Moana for 2000XPF (15 minutes), then the IC's shuttle between Le Moana and Thalasso for 3390 XPF per person one way (updated Dec 2019) (15 minutes). If all transfers go smoothly, the journey could be as short as an hour, or longer than two hours if you're unlucky.

Boat Times (as of Oct 2016, and current as of Jan 2020)

Leaving Le Moana:
7:45am
8:45am
11:45am*
12:45pm
1:45pm
4:30pm
5:30pm*
6:30pm
8:30pm
10:00pm

Leaving Thalasso:
8:15am
9:15am*
12:15pm
1:15pm
2:15pm*
5:00pm
6:00pm
7:00pm
9:30pm
10:30pm

* Boat times with a * can connect with the bus shuttle between IC Le Moana and Vaitape town, as shown below:

Bus Shuttles between IC Le Moana and Vaitape town:

Depart IC Le Moana:
9:45am
2:45pm

Depart Vaitape:
11:15am
5:00pm

The bus shuttle costs 1150 XPF RT/person.

Note: There is no ATM at the Thalasso. The closest ATMs are in Vaitape, the main town where the airport ferry stops. However, both IC Le Moana and Thalasso will give you a "cash advance" on your credit card for a fee of 5%. The transaction will post as a purchase.

XPF is also available at the airport in Pappeete from several ATMs.
POST 1795

Resort Email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

IC Thalasso Bora Bora Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2012, 9:26 am

Our Experience Enjoying 2 nights at IC Thalasso

We reserved 2 nights at IC Thalasso in November as Ambassador Platinum and debated about whether to pay for the upgrade. Six weeks prior to our visit we received a polite email from them stating, in part, as follows:

"As you are staying on a Reward Night basis, you must be aware that Priority Club terms & conditions states that “Upgrade benefit will not apply to rooms booked as a Reward Night reservation” as you can refer to the Priority Club website...In most cases, we try to upgrade our Reward Nights booking from Motu garden villa to an Emerald Overwater villa. You must be acknowledging that November is our peak High Season. A free upgrade would only be upon availability upon check in and at no time guaranteed. If you wish to guaranty an upgrade, it will be a paying upgrade. Please see below the different rates for the paying upgrade:

Pay 15 000 xpf per night to be upgraded from MOTU villa to an Overwater bungalow Emerald.
25 000 xpf per night to be upgraded from MOTU to Sapphire Villa
35 000 xpf per night to be upgraded from MOTU to Diamond Villa
45 000 xpf per night to be upgraded from MOTU to Diamond End of Pontoon or Otemanu Villa

We decided to pay in advance via email for the first upgrade based upon 2 thoughts: we did not want to risk being placed in a Motu Villa (otherwise referred to as Family Suite Coral) and we also felt it only fair to help pay *something* directly to the property (in addition to any meal or room charges we would make). When we arrived the property looked busy but definitely not sold out. We were placed far from the area that had loud daytime construction noise due to some OWB roof replacements. Overall we had a fantastic experience being placed on the "basic" Emerald OWB (beach view, not mountain unfortunately) and did not regret paying for the basic upgrade.

The view of Mt. Otemanu from Thalasso is far more dramatic than from the Four Seasons or St. Regis. The free boat shuttle between Thalasso & the IC LeMoana on the main island is a nice way to visit Thalasso even if not staying here. Ambassador Club membership gave us a 4 pm late checkout and one day of fresh fruit (8 pcs) and a daily bottle of water, so not sure if I'd pay the $200 membership in this was my only IHC stay. The Bose Ipod player had no volume control & the front desk said they do not have them (not sure if it was just our room). We brought a converter for U.S. electric devices (e.g. camera battery charger) and glad we did. Nespresso pods were US$3.75 each in the minibar so one affordable alternative is to bring your own Starbuck's instant. The A/C in our room was superb, supplied from a very innovative deep-sea water process. You can refill your drinking water bottle in the free health club where there were also fresh apples. Mini frig has a little extra room if you want to shop in town at Chin Le's grocery (good cheap wine selection, great fabrics next door) but shuttle van from IC LeMoana needs to be pre-arranged & prepaid at LeMoana front desk. IC charges 4,115 XPF per person each way for the airport to Thalasso boat shuttle, so RT for 2 can add another $180 to your hotel bill unless you want to save $$$ by the circuitous free boat from the airport to Vaitape and then a cab to LeMoana and then the boat shuttle to Thalasso (not advised if are travel-weary!). BTW Inter-island airlines seemed to allow liquids (e.g. big bottles) as carry-on but they do they weigh the carry-on bag if it "looks heavy." so if you have heavy but small items, carry them on, don't check them (44 lbs limit if linked to an intern'l flight itinerary). Also suggest you sit on left side of plane facing pilot arriving into BOB for best views! Snorkeling here not as good as Hilton Moorea due to Thalasso's warm water location tho the gen'l mgr told us they are trying to channel some colder ocean to attract more fish over time. Glad we did 2 very luxurious days here and 4 more active days on Moorea. Thalasso is on a remote motu and you can't walk very far off the property so we just laid back and enjoyed the pool and beach, free boards for paddling, and free ray feeding every afternoon on the beach.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:23 pm

5 Nights at IC Thalasso in Feb 2012

Very late report here, but a shout out to wonderdude who helped out with the IC RA stuff and the recommendation of Keishi tours.

Full video documentation of the trip on youtube, struykinbora is the channel name.

On October 9, 2009, Couples Retreat hit the big screen and that night I began plotting how to make it there for my 10 year anniversary in Feb of 2012 without breaking the bank.

After nuking 300k Delta miles to go business class (worth it) on Air France from LAX to PPT, I worked with Candice at Tahiti Legends (now Tahiti.com) to get the entry level package together while leveraging the IC RA status.

We arrived in Bora Bora by 9am local time on February 11, 2012 and we got our upgrade to the end of the pontoon Diamond room 231, someone already had 212, but that is alright, we were in our room by 10am. It rained for 30 minutes, then the sun came out and we jumped in the water. The staff took care of inflating the innertubes we brought with us and it was a party.

Full minibar fully utilized... free internet fully utilized. The email threads with the IC Thalasso staff from months before made quick work with the front desk staff upon their charge attempts at checkout time.

Sands was closed for renovations, so the Reef was the venue for all dining. They did a good job, decent food, slow service, and we did see the two kittens each evening, which we thought was funny.

Must comment on the air conditioning system and the high frequency squeal it puts out when it is on. It was annoying at times, and the condensation level from certain vents in the bungalow provided streaks of water on the walls and small pools of water on the floor in some cases.

Valentines Day arrived, and Taai from Keishi tours picked us up for the whole day island tour, lunch, stingrays, sharks, fish. We didn't see the mantas, I think Taai did since he can swim like a fish. Highlight of the trip, most of the videos (wet and dry) are from that day trip.

Weather score was 8.0 out of 10, an incredible microclimate on the island.

We left Bora Bora after 5 nights, got the 1 night in at IC Tahiti, a good experience, and departed for LAX the next morning, and made it back home by the following evening.

We hope to return in Feb of 2017.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 1:54 pm

Programs: PC Plat RA, SPG Gold, AS MVPG
Athropod - do you know when the renovations on Sands will be completed?

- what email exchange did you have re: mini bar charges etc?
Thanks!
Old Jan 24, 2013, 3:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by SANdyFlyer
Sorry for the delay, but as promised, I have put up some information about my recent Motu Villa experience and it is featured at resortdisasters.com.

Regarding the questions about confirmation of my upsell, it should be noted that throughout the process, my credit card was never charged for the upsell which is the final confirmation.
Thanks for the detailed report. I thought the Motu Villa was a myth until this report. I guess one needs to avoid the peak season redemption in order to be not put into this situation. Good to know they were willing to move you to Moana.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 3:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by vmsea
Athropod - do you know when the renovations on Sands will be completed?

- what email exchange did you have re: mini bar charges etc?
Thanks!
It's already done. When I was there last April (April 2012), Sands is open and food is really good there.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Originally Posted by SANdyFlyer
Sorry for the delay, but as promised, I have put up some information about my recent Motu Villa experience and it is featured at resortdisasters.com.

Regarding the questions about confirmation of my upsell, it should be noted that throughout the process, my credit card was never charged for the upsell which is the final confirmation.
What a nightmare, and you did try to get the upsell beforehand, so it wasn't your fault. FWIW, we also stayed at both resorts in Bora Bora in 2010 and I much prefered the Moana for it's location and more tropical feel. I though the decor of Thalasso rooms was too modern for my taste, didn't fit the surroundings.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 4:22 pm

I'm still debating between IC Bora Bora Thalasso and Conrad Maldives for my honeymoon in late June this year. Cost obviously plays a role, and if I have a very good chance of upgrade to Emerald OWB for IC Thalasso, that'll be HUGE in helping me choose. June isn't peak season, but I'm sure there are lots of honeymooners around that time. I would be using points redemption for this stay and have the Chase PC (therefore Platinum status). Realistically, how likely would I be upgraded?

Originally Posted by lewende
I've been fascinated by this post, and am debating following options of my 4-night stay at Thalasso:

(1) Book all 4 nights with points, pay $200 upgrade to Emerald OWB for each night - >$800 cost but guaranteed an OWB

(2) Book all 4 nights with points, show up at front desk to try my luck; if not, pay $200 for an ambassador status, and get an upgrade - $200 cost but have uncertainties

(3) Purchase ambassador status first, use BOGO for two nights at Emerald OWB and book 2 nights with points with a hope of free upgrade - $900 for a paid night + $200 ambassador = $1100. Althought this is more expensive, but I may stay at Sapphire OWB all 4 nights.

Any suggestions?

Also, I will be transitting from Hilton BBN to IC Thalasso. Must I travel to the airport awaiting ICT to pick me up?

Thanks!
I read this old post and I'm now in this situation. From what I've read, there are 3 MOTU rooms for awards travelers, and it's apparently uncommon to be stuck with one of these. My understanding is that short of high season, I'm likely to be upgraded based on platinum status even though I'm not an Ambassador. Is June even remotely considered high season?

Last edited by DaveInLA; Jan 26, 2013 at 5:03 pm
Old Jan 26, 2013, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I'm still debating between IC Bora Bora Thalasso and Conrad Maldives for my honeymoon in late June this year. Cost obviously plays a role, and if I have a very good chance of upgrade to Emerald OWB for IC Thalasso, that'll be HUGE in helping me choose. June isn't peak season, but I'm sure there are lots of honeymooners around that time. I would be using points redemption for this stay and have the Chase PC (therefore Platinum status). Realistically, how likely would I be upgraded?

I read this old post and I'm now in this situation. From what I've read, there are 3 MOTU rooms for awards travelers, and it's apparently uncommon to be stuck with one of these. My understanding is that short of high season, I'm likely to be upgraded based on platinum status even though I'm not an Ambassador. Is June even remotely considered high season?
First of all, platinum status won't help you at all at IC Thalasso. If you are really looking for an upgrade (a nice one), you'd better be an ambassador.

Second, I wold favor IC Thalasso over Conrad Maldives because June is the raining season of Maldives but dry season (or high season) for Bora Bora. So weather-wise, June is perfect for a Tahitian trip.

Recap: if you choose IC Thalasso, you may purchase an ambassador status, and you may even book a BOGO stay with the certificate enclosed in your ambassador package to maximize your chance of upgrade.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 6:35 pm

First of all, platinum status won't help you at all at IC Thalasso. If you are really looking for an upgrade (a nice one), you'd better be an ambassador.

Second, I wold favor IC Thalasso over Conrad Maldives because June is the raining season of Maldives but dry season (or high season) for Bora Bora. So weather-wise, June is perfect for a Tahitian trip.

Recap: if you choose IC Thalasso, you may purchase an ambassador status, and you may even book a BOGO stay with the certificate enclosed in your ambassador package to maximize your chance of upgrade.

1. If I sign up for Ambassador status now, can I redeem it for the free weekend night right away, or do I have to wait until the paper certificate comes in the mail in 2-3 wks? Time is an issue here.

2. I'm confused as to whether or not Ambassador status actually increases likelihood of getting upgrade to Emerald OWB for reward stays. I've read mixed things. If so, one possibility is to use points for all 5 nights (I'd have to purchase a lot of points), and the other option is to use points for 3 nights, then pay full price for Emerald OWB for 4th night ($900!!) and use certificate for 5th night. I figure in this final scenario, I'm guaranteed OWB for the final 2 nights, and they'll be more likely to upgrade the awarded nights. In this scenario, I need to purchase 70K pts ($490) + $900 for 4th night + $200 for Ambassador status = $1590 and still no guarantee. Or I could just purchase 170K pts (enough to make 250K) for $1190 and the $900-1000 for guaranteed upgrade, total ~$2100. Is the guarantee worth $500?

Last edited by DaveInLA; Jan 26, 2013 at 8:39 pm Reason: got some answers
Old Jan 26, 2013, 9:50 pm

1. If I sign up for Ambassador status now, can I redeem it for the free weekend night right away, or do I have to wait until the paper certificate comes in the mail in 2-3 wks? Time is an issue here.

2. I'm confused as to whether or not Ambassador status actually increases likelihood of getting upgrade to Emerald OWB for reward stays. I've read mixed things. If so, one possibility is to use points for all 5 nights (I'd have to purchase a lot of points), and the other option is to use points for 3 nights, then pay full price for Emerald OWB for 4th night ($900!!) and use certificate for 5th night. I figure in this final scenario, I'm guaranteed OWB for the final 2 nights, and they'll be more likely to upgrade the awarded nights. In this scenario, I need to purchase 70K pts ($490) + $900 for 4th night + $200 for Ambassador status = $1590 and still no guarantee. Or I could just purchase 170K pts (enough to make 250K) for $1190 and the $900-1000 for guaranteed upgrade, total ~$2100. Is the guarantee worth $500?
(1) You can make BOGO reservation any time, but you will be asked to present BOGO certificate at CI to the hotel.

(2) Although there is always no guarantee, but based on what I read from this thread and my own experience, the guarantee doesn't worth extra $500. If you have at least one paid night (e.g., BOGO), and if you have an ambassador status, I'd say >99.99999% chance you will stay at an OWB throughout your entire stay.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 9:57 pm

(2) Although there is always no guarantee, but based on what I read from this thread and my own experience, the guarantee doesn't worth extra $500. If you have at least one paid night (e.g., BOGO), and if you have an ambassador status, I'd say >99.99999% chance you will stay at an OWB throughout your entire stay.
Thanks. That's reassuring, but I'd still rather forgo the Ambassador status (again, platinum) and just buy the 170K points for $840 to reach 250K. If I redeem those for 5 nights (no BOGO, no Ambassador), would you still say that I'm almost assured a OWB? This would be for late June-early July. Thanks.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:51 pm

Thanks. That's reassuring, but I'd still rather forgo the Ambassador status (again, platinum) and just buy the 170K points for $840 to reach 250K. If I redeem those for 5 nights (no BOGO, no Ambassador), would you still say that I'm almost assured a OWB? This would be for late June-early July. Thanks.
Maybe.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 2:02 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
I would not be so confident about the automatic upgrade. The most recent report we have is from sand flyer, who had 2 nights with weekend voucher, and 5 nights on points. He was offered paid upgrade for the points stay, which he accepted, but somehow the hotel failed to get the info. They then fully booked the hotel for those days, forcing him to be moved to the villa. He was ambassador status.

Since then we have no reports of anyone staying on points, who has not been moved. the only points stayer after that report, paid for an upgrade.

You could say his was a one off, or more likely the evidence is that the hotel policy now is to NOT hold back an OWB for points stayers, but to sell out all OWBs.

Therefore I would say the most recent evidence suggests that points stayers in high season, who do not pay for an upgrade, will be in the villa. My booking strategy would be use bogo + 5 points night + upgrade those points nights.

I am currently blogging a theoretical holiday, using FF/hotel points, which will include the IC bora bora resort. You can find it on my blog link below

Last edited by tangey; Jan 27, 2013 at 2:15 am
Old Jan 27, 2013, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by tangey
I would not be so confident about the automatic upgrade. The most recent report we have is from sand flyer, who had 2 nights with weekend voucher, and 5 nights on points. He was offered paid upgrade for the points stay, which he accepted, but somehow the hotel failed to get the info. They then fully booked the hotel for those days, forcing him to be moved to the villa. He was ambassador status.
So he stayed 2 nights in a OWB, then was forced to move to Motu? Any idea what season he stayed there?
Old Jan 27, 2013, 4:05 am

Also, I'm looking up potential flights on Flightstats, and there's one that flies out of PPT at 6:30 am on TN. From what I've read, that would mean a short seaplane flight from Bora Bora to Papeete, then a boat ride from the drop-off point to the airport. What time would guests have to check out-- 3-4 am?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.