Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC Bora Bora Le Moana Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2009, 6:10 pm

I know you just joined Flyertalk a few months ago, but there is actually a search function that (sometimes) works. Instead of starting a new thread, maybe you should read all about the hotel and then post in the current thread for IC Bora Bora that has over 125 posts:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...bora-bora.html
Old Apr 2, 2009, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by gregorygrady
I know you just joined Flyertalk a few months ago, but there is actually a search function that (sometimes) works. Instead of starting a new thread, maybe you should read all about the hotel and then post in the current thread for IC Bora Bora that has over 125 posts:

In fact maybe one of our new Moderators coud merge this thread with the proper one........^
Old Apr 2, 2009, 6:36 pm

Last edited by tmcneill; May 12, 2012 at 8:40 am
Old Apr 2, 2009, 6:41 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E
Old Apr 2, 2009, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by gregorygrady

Hi, I actually have been searching and read quite a bit, however most of the information it is a few years old now, and I wanted some recent feedback.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by cs19
Some really great info on here folks. Thanks to everyone adding their own experiences.

Does anyone have or know of the ferry schedule between Thalasso and Moana. If staying at Thalasso, I'm curious as to how early one could schedule an activity on the mainland while still being able to catch the ferry to Moana and get to the activity? Conversely, how late a dinner could one have on the mainland and still catch the last ferry back to Thalasso?
It takes about 15 minutes for the free ferry ride. Here is the ferry schedule (current as of last week March 22, 2009):

Departs Thalasso:
8:15 AM
9:15 AM
12:15 PM
1:15 PM
2:15 PM
5:00 PM
6:00 PM
7:00 PM
9:30 PM
10:30 PM

Departs Le Moana:
7:45 AM
8:45 AM
11:45 AM
12:45 PM
1:45 PM
4:30 PM
5:30 PM
6:30 PM
8:30 PM
10:00 PM
Old Apr 2, 2009, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by hsolo
Hi GregoryGrady,

I am wondering if you would return? Is it worth the money? Or am I better off going to Maldives, or even something closer, Hawaii, St. Lucia, Turks & Cacios for example?

It sounds from your report that there isn't much to do, and the beach isn't even suitable for walking or laying down?

We are looking to just relax, on the beach, snokel, scuba dive if available. Good food & drinks, some shopping for the wife, we don't really care so much about night clubs or any of that, do you think Thalasso is best property for us?

HSOLO
I would say Bora Bora is a place that every traveler should go at least once in their life. It was incredible to see those amazing colors and something that I will never forget and will always cherish. That said, I will probably not be going back anytime soon unless I win the lottery. It is far too pricey IMHO. The airfare there is overpriced, the hotels are overpriced, and the food & activities are overpriced.

Take for example the 50 minute flight from PPT-BOB. It will cost you $400 roundtrip, and its virtually impossible to get it any cheaper than that. For under $400, I can buy a roundtrip from West Coast to Hawaii. Hawaii has similar fantastic water, views, sights, activities, etc. But it is just closer and more affordable, so I think I will stick to Hawaii on my tropcial vacations.

That said, I certainly wouldn't be against going back if I can find a smoking $300 mistake fare there or something. But I wouldn't shell out $1500 per person RT LAX-PPT and then another $400 PPT-BOB and then truckloads for an OWB. I did it on the cheap this time all the while in luxurious hotels and I'm very happy with my trip though. If I could get the deal I got this time ($868 per person RT airfare LAX-PPT), 4 free nights in an OWB at Le Meridien Bora Bora as an SPG Plat sandwiched in between 2 BOGO weekends at IC Thalasso and IC Moana as an RA, then yes I'd probably do it again sooner rather than later. But if I were shelling out at cost for it all, I probably wouldn't go back for another 20 years or more............unless I won the lottery.

If you are looking to relax, lay on the beach, enjoy the scenery, snorkel, then I think the IC BBs are PERFECT for you. We honestly had no problem with boredom and never got bored just sitting there staring at the fabulous views off our OWB deck. And there are lots of activities to do, just a lot of them are fairly pricey (ie, $700 private island tour with stop at private motu for lunch). And $300 for jetskiing or parasailing. On the flipside, there are also lots of free activities which my wife and I ended up doing a lot of (ie, snorkeling, kayaking, canoeing/outriggering, windsurfing (ok, we attempted that one), hobie sailing, etc. A lot of those activities we are used to paying for when we go to Hawaii, so it was nice that they also had some free activities such as those.

And finally, the beach at Thalasso is perfectly fine for sitting/laying down at and walking up and down. It is a nice white-sand beach with an insanely gorgeous view. On it there are hammocks, nice padded beach loungers, a fantastic infinity pool with a beautiful view. There is also a lagoon on-site with lots of fish with good snorkeling. The only thing you won't get at that beach that you might get in Hawaii or Florida is:
1. Crowds
2. Waves

Everything else is has IMHO. If you want a better classic white-sand beach with more people and (small) waves, then the IC Le Moana is for you as Matira Beach is RIGHT next to IC (about 15 steps away from the main entrance to IC Moana). However I found that we spent very little time on the beach cuz honestly if you are paying $800 for an OWB with a great deck and all, why not just spend the day lounging on your OWB deck??? We did spend a lot of time exploring and checking everything out (the pool, beaches, lagoons, etc), but we spent the majority of the time enjoying it all from our deck as it allowed us to go inside and grab a drink (thanks RA free minibar )when we got to hot or what not. If you've never been to Bora Bora, I'd say you CANNOT go wrong by going there. You will be glad you did IMHO. ^
Old Apr 2, 2009, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by EdV
This was exactly my thought after going there. There is a great image bank out there on the web I can't find but here's a good place to start:

http://www.wildlifeland.com/BoraBora/
Yes, the link you provided has some fantastic pictures, I have seen those before and agree 100%!!!!

The other image bank (www.ic-pix.com) you mentioned was fantastic while it was still around. Unfortunately the funding (or license) for it ran out on Feb 1st, 2009 and it was taken down. There was a note to this effect as of about a month ago, now it just takes you to some random page. Many of the pics there can be seen on the photographers flickr page though at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tahitip...n/photostream/

BTW, I was in the OWB right in the middle of that Le Moana picture last week. The view from it was fantastic. That curvy line where the water depth and color changed was just stunning!!!!

Originally Posted by EdV
And no need for another thread, there are plenty of threads on all 4 ICs in FP including this one for the IC Tahiti which is very useful

As I said there are loads of threads including THIS one that covers all properties in
Agree, all these comments could go in threads that are already open IMHO. Or they should/could be merged in at least.....
Old Apr 2, 2009, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by hsolo
Hi, I actually have been searching and read quite a bit, however most of the information it is a few years old now, and I wanted some recent feedback.
@:-) Then post your questions to the old thread and people will respond with new feedback. @:-)
Old Apr 2, 2009, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by EdV
This was exactly my thought after going there. There is a great image bank out there on the web I can't find but here's a good place to start:

http://www.wildlifeland.com/BoraBora/

Thanks for the link to my website
I have more galleries on my website now, I went two more times since...
More pictures from Thalasso here:

http://www.wildlifeland.com/BoraBora2/

and from the Four Seasons:

http://www.wildlifeland.com/BoraBora3/

My take - Le Moana has some "charm", but it's really dated comparing
to Thalasso. I'd stay at the Thalasso, you can always visit Le Moana
whenever you want, but the quality of your bungalow will be much better.
And if you really want the best - Four Seasons, no doubt
Old Apr 4, 2009, 11:08 pm

Just wonderng what time of year you recommend going to Bora Bora?

HSOLO
Old Apr 5, 2009, 9:58 am

Last edited by tmcneill; May 12, 2012 at 8:39 am
Old Apr 5, 2009, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by tmcneill
High Season (May-October): Milder temperatures, less rain and humidity. The downside is that the island is much more crowded with tourists.

Low Season (November-April): Hotter and wetter on average. But it can be hit or miss with the rain. Our January/February 2009 stay had 6 days straight of no rain. The last 2 days were somewhat rainy but the rains passed within a few hours. In general the weather is nice year round. The low season is nice because there are fewer tourists.

I am thinking late October or early November or possibly in late April.

I don't like to go somewhere hot when its very cold here in Toronto, too drastic a climate change.

HSolo
Old Apr 10, 2009, 12:42 pm

Programs: AAEXP, CXGold, AFPlat, PCPlat/RA, HyattDiamond, SPGGold, MarriottGold, HertzPlat, NationalExec
Just wondering if people here booked their excursions (snorkeling, 4x4, lagoonrium, etc...) through the hotel or through a separate tour group. If a tour group, are they readily available throughout the island, and take day-of bookings or how did that work?

Thanks
Old Apr 10, 2009, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carl Gold, IHG Plat
I saved substantial $$$$ by booking the tours directly myself. Get a good guide book (try Jan Prince's books) and email tour companies yourself and save 25% to 75% from hotel prices. You can also call tour companies direct upon your arrival.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.