Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crowne Plaza (LAX)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2016, 4:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I've got my third stay coming up in early November. Tend to use points as I'm a bit cheap
Nice enough hotel.

First time I stayed, arrived after 10pm and along with a few others, had to wait for a room and sure I got a slightly better one. Also got 3 breakfast vouchers and some drink chits plus points for having to wait half an hour in the bar.
Second time, normal room with a stewardesses uniform and bag still in my wardrobe / closet - not sure what the situation was here. Room used / sub-let by me whilst she was off on a flight or she'd forgotten her things?

Shuttle is fine. Few minute wait usually in amongst the lovely LAX traffic and it picks up from the hotel empty. I generally catch it from T4 and there might be one or two people onboard plus some Mexican or South American flight crew.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 12:45 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I stayed here on Monday night passing through LAX. I normally stay at the Hilton but had points to burn so figured I'd try the CP.

I received an upgrade to the Club floor but as I asked for a runway view the only room I could get at the time was a twin rather than king. Noise in-room was very loud. If you don't like planes you'll really notice this.

The Club lounge was fine for evening reception and breakfast and free booze is a bonus. Tony seemed to be a local legend and everybody knew him.

Internet was absolutely abysmal and basically unusable. I simply don't know what it is about the US and poor internet - I've been to 3rd world countries that have better performance. (My day job involves deploying WiFi/Internet accerss in hotels).

Overall I enjoy my stays at the Hilton better and have booked there for my visit back through there in February.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 12:40 am

Worst shuttle service ever!

I've never been impressed with this property. The club lounge breakfast is abysmal and rooms are dated. The check-in is slow. The parking situation is horrible if you ever return at night. But I experienced the worst aspect of this hotel on a recent stay.

I arrived curbside at LAX just past 9.30pm and waited literally over 45 minutes for the shuttle. While I waited, I saw Hyatt Regency shuttles come around ~q5min. Saw Marriott come around probably q7-8min. Even shuttles from smaller places like Hampton Inn and Four Points came around ~3 times each while I waited. Called the hotel, but they were no help. By the time the shuttle finally arrived, I had to admit I was not in the best of mood. As I got off the shuttle at the hotel, I just got off without thanking or tipping the driver... just wasn't in the mood. Then, to my surprise, the driver snapped at me. Unbelievable. It may be customary for me as the guest to thank the guy, but it's certainly not a rule or an obligation and I'm the paying customer. It's not like I did anything wrong to him. It's not like he said something in the first place and I ignored him.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by evergrn
...waited literally over 45 minutes for the shuttle. ...
I arrived at 18:30 yesterday, walked out of he terminal and onto the shuttle.

Yes, I know I was exceptionally fortunate, but it's the luck of the draw. By the time it gets to T7 (United) the shuttle can be full and not even stop.

Breakfast seems to be on the lines of airline lounges with an additional hot option - today some sort of wrap. I do fruit + toast or cereal, so I'm fine.

My gripes are:
  • one or two receptionists serving long, long lines of arrivals + check-outs + sundry enquiries from guests.
  • efficient black-out curtains, but NO overlap: allows the California sun into my room through a central slit.
  • can you believe a four-star hotel with five-star pretensions, yet NO ROOM SAFE, even in club-floor rooms ?
  • awful sound insulation in the rooms
  • silly prices for rooms, and even sillier prices in the bar/café*

Highlight of this stay: being given a room with someone already in it "please accept a drinks chitty for your inconvenience"

* there's a liquor store a block west on the road behind the hotel. Does a roaring trade with guests from the surrounding hotels.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 1:22 pm

You were lucky with the shuttle then. Their website says the shuttle runs q20-30min. Even if that were true, that is still inadequate for a 600+ room hotel a mere mile away from the airport, esp when Hyatt/Marriott shuttles are coming around q5-10min.

Their lounge breakfast was subpar compared to Hilton LAX's. I did not see their evening spread. But I popped in there a couple of times during the day after breakfast, and they have literally nothing by way of food/snacks/beverage. No tea/coffee/water, nothing. They clear out the counter tops and lock up the fridge.

You are right about the noise. Although the plane noise personally does not bother me, I can see it being a major issue. I've stayed at airport hotels lot closer to the runway that this CP, and you would hardly hear the planes. So this hotel obviously has not invested in soundproofing. Instead of passing out cheap earplugs and perfume for sleep, the hotel needs a major renovation.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
"Efficient black-out curtains, but NO overlap: allows the California sun into my room through a central slit."

I found a package of three large clips intended for use with larger crisp (snack) bags at the Dollar Store; I'm sure Poundland should have a similar item.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Does anybody know if the protests are still going on at 7 o'clock sharp? I'd rather stay somewhere where I can sleep past 06:59.

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
* there's a liquor store a block west on the road behind the hotel. Does a roaring trade with guests from the surrounding hotels.
Thanks for this gem.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
[*]efficient black-out curtains, but NO overlap: allows the California sun into my room through a central slit.
That's where the trouser/skirt hangers come in handy. Clip the curtains together
Old Mar 29, 2017, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
"Efficient black-out curtains, but NO overlap: allows the California sun into my room through a central slit."

I found a package of three large clips intended for use with larger crisp (snack) bags at the Dollar Store; I'm sure Poundland should have a similar item.
Originally Posted by chistery
That's where the trouser/skirt hangers come in handy. Clip the curtains together

Thanks! love the inventiveness (We could have a thread on hotel room workarounds).

Now we need to deal with anchoring the curtains by the walls at the other two extremes of their run.

It's frustrating they don't think these things through when planning/designing the rooms: after all, curtain rails that overlap are pretty much standard.

Stop Presss : The hotel tell me I am not the first to comment on the lack of room safes (imagine!): and they ARE CONSIDERING INSTALLATION OF SAFES IN THE ROOMS. It wouldn't be before time, but somehow I think they were just trying to get rid of me...

...after going through the palaver of using their behind-reception safe boxes, I might have mentioned my unhappiness a couple of times.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I'm here now and didn't have any problems with the sun.

Protesters with their bull horn have started chanting in the last few minutes. Same 2-3 things repeatedly although can't quite understand them.

Soundproofing seems to be getting worse or it might be the direction of my room. I'm fairly high up but can hear a lot of things.

First plane was at 4am. Was awake then so not woken by it.

Took $100 security deposit on my credit card - hate them doing that.

Food still expensive. $20 for a burger plus taxes and 17% gratuity. I'll walk to In & Out before paying that!
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by xenole
Protesters with their bull horn have started chanting in the last few minutes. Same 2-3 things repeatedly although can't quite understand them.
This is STILL going on?? It's been at least a year. They start at 07:00 on the dot and go for a full hour.

It's like having an alarm clock with no "snooze" button.

Last edited by brewdog11; Apr 20, 2017 at 9:12 am Reason: fixed self-made formatting error with quote box
Old Apr 20, 2017, 2:03 pm

Maybe if Tony from the exec lounge shared all his tips around the rest of the staff they wouldn't need to protest.
Old May 14, 2017, 11:58 am

Location: in your favourite lounge, clearing the whole buffet
Programs: LH Maximizer of the year, BA Blue Label killer
Any experience if they accept letters/packages sent in? I want to order a SIM card so I can collect it when I'm staying here.
Old May 15, 2017, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by fqtv_kraven
Any experience if they accept letters/packages sent in? I want to order a SIM card so I can collect it when I'm staying here.
Yes, but they do charge for it (which seems to be the case in a number of the airport hotels I've regularly stayed in near LAX).
Old Aug 19, 2017, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
My review of this property is included in my trip report here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...t-lounges.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.