Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crowne Plaza (LAX)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2013, 7:51 pm

Stayed there recently and enjoyed the upgrade to Club level with access to the lounge. Great view, really decent food, good selection of drinks. Certainly looking forward to our next stay.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by jvick125
Do they charge for parking? How much? Have any platinums or golds had this waived for them?
I have received free breakfast, club upgrade and Internet during my stays but not free parking. The parking is not bad its 11 or 12 bucks a night and they cut you a break if you have a AAA card. The hotel also has Valet parking, I think it was 20 bucks if memory serves.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Stayed there recently and enjoyed the upgrade to Club level with access to the lounge. Great view, really decent food, good selection of drinks. Certainly looking forward to our next stay.
Similar experience the hotel has a pretty good Sushi Bar, read some good reviews on yelp and decided to give it a try and it was pretty good. The breakfast is really good although a little pricey I like the Huevos Rancheros nice menu
Old May 7, 2013, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I've stayed there my last two trips to LA. The rate is generally solid even during the week. One thing I found is that the parking garage has both an in-and-out and a regular rate, and if you're going to just use the lot to park for less than 12 hours overnight it's better to just pay the regular rate.

If you're using a GPS, put in "5985 West 98th Street" instead of 5985 West Century, and it'll get you to the back entrance.

There's nothing fancy about the place, but the rooms are comfortable if a little on the small side. I wouldn't want to be there for a week, but for 1 or 2 nights it's fine. The only thing I dislike is the club area, it was extremely sad the morning I stopped in.
Old May 10, 2013, 5:37 am

Programs: A3*G, AC, IHG Plat AMB
Quick question, as I'm planning on booking a layover here: Older (pre-reno) reviews suggest that it can get noisy and I just wonder if that's still the case, or has the noise situation been improved (considering, as well, that I've read to try and get something on the Century side as it's quieter)?

Hopefully it's less of an issue lately, as it's got that balance of near the airport and walking distance to the Big Blue Bus as it's been a while since I've been out to Santa Monica, so I'd prefer to not go back to the drawing board on this one.
Old May 11, 2013, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Originally Posted by DJ Bitterbarn
Quick question, as I'm planning on booking a layover here: Older (pre-reno) reviews suggest that it can get noisy and I just wonder if that's still the case, or has the noise situation been improved (considering, as well, that I've read to try and get something on the Century side as it's quieter)?

Hopefully it's less of an issue lately, as it's got that balance of near the airport and walking distance to the Big Blue Bus as it's been a while since I've been out to Santa Monica, so I'd prefer to not go back to the drawing board on this one.
Stayed there Wednesday night. Renovations have now moved to the lobby and registration desk.

Room seemed a little quieter than I remembered it, 16th floor facing car rentals. YMMV.
Old May 13, 2013, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Thumper
Stayed there Wednesday night. Renovations have now moved to the lobby and registration desk.

Room seemed a little quieter than I remembered it, 16th floor facing car rentals. YMMV.
Hey - me too!

What I did notice was the rather strong springs on the doors that caused room doors to slam very loudly all night long
Old May 14, 2013, 5:37 am

Thanks for the replies, they.... help but don't completely get rid of my concerns. But we'll stick it out because it works well for our layover. Great to hear it's at least renovating, if they didn't over-engineer some parts!
Old May 14, 2013, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by OskiBear
What I did notice was the rather strong springs on the doors that caused room doors to slam very loudly all night long
All hotels in the US do this now. It's a regulatory fire prevention thing.

That said, I stayed here a month or so ago and had zero noise issues. I was upgraded to Club and I think I was actually on the Club floor.

As for parking, I just dropped my car off at Avis before checking in, then Avis dropped me off at the hotel. I could have even walked it if I had to. In the morning I took the shuttle to LAX.
Old May 14, 2013, 2:01 pm

Thanks for the replies, they.... help but don't completely get rid of my concerns. But we'll stick it out because it works well for our layover. Great to hear it's at least renovating, if they didn't over-engineer some parts!
I stayed on a Park and Fly kind of deal. What's cool about this place is the hotel has a shuttle as does the parking structure (I think it's Aiport Center?).

You get double the options for going to/from the airport, potentially cutting down on the time.

On the way to the airport, I kept an on both and the hotel shuttle arrived first. However, on the return, I took the Airport Center shuttle.
Old May 15, 2013, 1:04 am

I stayed on a Park and Fly kind of deal. What's cool about this place is the hotel has a shuttle as does the parking structure (I think it's Aiport Center?).

You get double the options for going to/from the airport, potentially cutting down on the time.

On the way to the airport, I kept an on both and the hotel shuttle arrived first. However, on the return, I took the Airport Center shuttle.
Okay, so that's really interesting. This would, I assume, be the Ace Parking at Airport Center? Is there a single pick-up point for both shuttles, or do you just watch both spots and see what comes? I mean at the hotel, I assume they both stop at the same place at T7 (where we're arriving), but it would be a big advantage if we can just grab whatever is first.

I was looking again and I guess we could possibly get on the Sheraton shuttle as well (like the last time I rented a car from Midway), too. So, good to know about the other options! Looks like the list of pros is growing...
Old May 15, 2013, 2:09 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by stimpy
All hotels in the US do this now. It's a regulatory fire prevention thing.
You mean that the automated loud slamming of the doors is supposed to keep the guests awake so they'll notice fires early and are able to put them out? Or how else should loud slamming of doors be able to prevent fires?

HTB.
Old May 15, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by htb
You mean that the automated loud slamming of the doors is supposed to keep the guests awake so they'll notice fires early and are able to put them out? Or how else should loud slamming of doors be able to prevent fires?
The doors must slam hard and with force to withstand rushing air in a fire. Google around if you want to find the regulations that require this in US hotels. The level of noise is a factor of how well the doors are made and consequently how expensive they are.
Old May 15, 2013, 6:14 pm

Okay, so that's really interesting. This would, I assume, be the Ace Parking at Airport Center? Is there a single pick-up point for both shuttles, or do you just watch both spots and see what comes? I mean at the hotel, I assume they both stop at the same place at T7 (where we're arriving), but it would be a big advantage if we can just grab whatever is first.
When you're leaving LAX, the hotel shuttles and the parking shuttles all use the island under the red sign "Hotel & Courtesy Shuttle," IIRC. So, you can just grab whichever one comes first.

When you're at the hotel, the shuttle ares are pretty close to each other so it's not hard to monitor both.
Old May 16, 2013, 5:28 am

When you're leaving LAX, the hotel shuttles and the parking shuttles all use the island under the red sign "Hotel & Courtesy Shuttle," IIRC. So, you can just grab whichever one comes first.

When you're at the hotel, the shuttle ares are pretty close to each other so it's not hard to monitor both.
Excellent. Thanks. It's been a while since I've got a hotel shuttle from LAX, and a much longer time since I actually read what the sign said rather than just wander out to curb, notice some hotel shuttle, go wait there. Oh assumptions.

I can probably live with the doors, though. If it gets bad I can go speak with the door. I could also stand on the roof and yell at aircraft, but I suspect that would be slightly less effective.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.