Wiki Posts
Search

InterContinental Bangkok Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2014, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Could be of interest to fans of the IC Bangkok

View of the Intercontinental site with (what will one day be) the Holiday Inn already in place.

BOAC (soon to become part of British Airways) marks the present Gaysorn Plaza

Last edited by IAN-UK; Jan 13, 2014 at 6:02 am
Old Feb 15, 2014, 7:45 pm

Is the IC Bangkok and CP Lumpini park about the same quality? On the IHG site the CP has higher ratings and I'm not a Amb, so I don't think I have any status with IC but I do have Platinum Elite with CP. In my situation which would you stay at? Me and my wife will be visiting BKK for three days in mid August on our honeymoon.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 7:53 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by unc0mm0n1
Is the IC Bangkok and CP Lumpini park about the same quality? On the IHG site the CP has higher ratings and I'm not a Amb, so I don't think I have any status with IC but I do have Platinum Elite with CP. In my situation which would you stay at? Me and my wife will be visiting BKK for three days in mid August on our honeymoon.
IC is higher quality than the CP but I always stay at the CP even as an RA because of cost and as a Plat they always give me lounge access and the new lounge is great. So, nothing wrong with the CP in my opinion but if you simply want the nicer property then the IC it is I think.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by mcgahat
IC is higher quality than the CP but I always stay at the CP even as an RA because of cost and as a Plat they always give me lounge access and the new lounge is great. So, nothing wrong with the CP in my opinion but if you simply want the nicer property then the IC it is I think.
I didn't know about the free lounge access. I think that seals CP for me.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 11:50 pm

Programs: QF, LM, AA,VA Silver, Qatar, Accor Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott B Plat
If your wife enjoys shopping then I would suggest IC, there is a sky train station 1 min away or its just a 15 min walk on the sky walkway to MBK or Siam Centre or 2 min walk to Central World.
The service is great at the IC too.

Before you book CP, email them to ask them if you would get lounge access as a platinum member. The subway is closeby the CP.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
I didn't know about the free lounge access. I think that seals CP for me.
I verified that last time as I was there that they give access to Plat's but you will not get a room on the Club Floor which have been renovated so are newer. The new lounge is very nice. I have no problems with the standard superior/deluxe rooms. You can see photos of them in my review in the group stay forum.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Does anyone have an email address for the GM? I have had some issues here today and the staff have refused to give me the GM's contact details.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 8:08 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Signing up for Ambassador for upcoming stay?

I have an extended work trip coming up at this hotel. I have no status with IHG, but have been contemplating joining Ambassador just for the guaranteed upgrade.

My company will pay for at least a room that has club access. What type of room would I be required to book to get upgraded to at least a junior suite with club access?

Thanks for the info.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 9:37 am

Book club room and receive club suite as ambassador or royal ambassador.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by nrgetik
Book club room and receive club suite as ambassador or royal ambassador.
I'd only be the lowest paid ambassador, but if this would work to get me a suite for a couple of weeks - it'd be a good use of $200 for me.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 10:36 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by bigjim
I have an extended work trip coming up at this hotel. I have no status with IHG, but have been contemplating joining Ambassador just for the guaranteed upgrade.

My company will pay for at least a room that has club access. What type of room would I be required to book to get upgraded to at least a junior suite with club access?

Thanks for the info.
Club rooms are 40m or so in size, and the upgrade is to the standard suite, that shows bookable on IHG.COM, often called 'corner suite' and is proper 2 room suite , which are located at end of each floor.

If you booked the 'corner suite' the upgrade would be to one of about 4 'ambassador suites', which are in effect 1 larger room (not two rooms)

The club lounge is top floor (33 from memory) , along with steps to small rooftop pool, the floor just below is the gym. As an ambassador you get a corner suite room on high floors like 28/29/30/31.

Above that they have 5 speciality suites eg Diplomatic .
Old Apr 30, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: IC: Diamond Amb
What kind of an upgrade can be expected on booking a Corner Suite as a Royal Amb or a plain Amb?
Old Apr 30, 2014, 10:53 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by sweets61250
What kind of an upgrade can be expected on booking a Corner Suite as a Royal Amb or a plain Amb?
Both RA and Amb would upgrade 1-level from corner suite to one of the ambassador suites.

IC's do not have to upgrade to speciality suites, like diplomatic, royal presidential.

If hotel is full, on occasion RAs get lucky and can get better than Ambassador Suite. However the IC would rather keep empty in case can be sold, so an RA on a longer stay is less likely to get lucky than an RA/Amb on a short visit.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 10:58 am

Thanks scubaccr.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: IC: Diamond Amb
Seeing a change in the room types.

There is the corner suite which is priced at almost the rate of the club room.

Also the club intercontinental suite which is higher priced.

The 2 suites seem to be the same except club access.

Anyone has an idea regarding the new rooms and upgrades for RA / Amb?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.