Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pointbreaks Discussion Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2011, 9:45 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
IC Manila was on the PBs list in May, and I knew I was coming here. Reviews are decent--it's an older hotel and just can't really keep up with the new ones in Makati--but they charge US$130/night or more for rooms. So the PBs seemed like a good deal. Here's what I posted in another thread about this--but just wanted to update this thread, that Platinum Ambassadors CAN Get UGs and perks--but truly can't depend on them either:
Just checked in to the IC Manila in Makati. While I didn't really want to stay far from Malate, I'm now VERY happy:
For my 5-night stay on Point Breaks (5K pts/night) I am sitting in my several-categories-higher Upgraded room--a Club Floor Junior Suite with Club Access! Breakfast, evening snacks, etc.
Yikes, this is becoming one of the best deals of the year for me!
Who says PBs suck this year? Also got Istanbul Harbiye for a few days next month. Excellent!
Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Macspreader
That was me.

Actually, I had originally booked for 40nights, I think, but had to make a few changes and ended up staying a total of 34 nights on pointsbreaks, for a saving of just over 2000 of my own money, for 170,000 points spent (with ~47,000 points credited, net 123,000). As someone who stays a lot in Holiday Inns (200+ nights each of last 3 years), and had a contract assignment in the area, these sort of promo's are fantastic.

fwiw, the money saved is being spent on a trip to do some pro-bono work in East Africa.
That is a score..

Almost worth it to think about transferring one to one from my airlines program if there is a way.. to PC.. if there is such a promo
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by camsean
1 night at IC Jakarta and 1 night at HIX Beijing Temple of Heaven. Score ^
Same ones I booked although multiple nights. PM me if you have any dentist contacts in either city! Or if you will be around CGK coming weekend onwards.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 3:21 pm

CP Washington DC - Rockville is gone from the list. I booked 2 nights there yesterday.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 6:43 pm

Just booked a night at CP Chitose for me and my dad for our trip to Hokkaido next month. ^
Old Jul 26, 2011, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Adios, CGK. Glad I got a bunch of nights, already.
As is sometimes typical,
it is off the list but still bookable a bit longer at 5000.

I just grabbed 2 nights Sep 30-Oct 01
in King Premiere at 5K each to round out
my exisitng res for the week before.

The parking still remains at $35,000 USD per night
so I guess I will take the Blue Birds..

Last edited by MrHalliday; Jul 26, 2011 at 7:36 pm
Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MrHalliday
As is sometimes typical,

Good tip..

Even technically off the list.. if you have the original list to make a phantom quote to see if PBs are still available.^
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by MrHalliday
As is sometimes typical,

I have a few days in August, and most of September booked. Might stay all of them, as I'll be apartment hunting, and want a backup plan.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I have a few days in August, and most of September booked. Might stay all of them, as I'll be apartment hunting, and want a backup plan.
Yes, even in Jakarta
it may be more than $30 p/n to match the IC...
Old Jul 29, 2011, 1:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
Intercontinental Jarkata Airport transfer

Anyone had any idea how much does the intercon charges for airport transfer arranged by them?

Is it recommended to let them take care of airport transfer or should I take a cab from the airport instead?

Thanks
Old Jul 29, 2011, 1:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tycosiao
Anyone had any idea how much does the intercon charges for airport transfer arranged by them?

Is it recommended to let them take care of airport transfer or should I take a cab from the airport instead?

Thanks
I was just at the Fairmont Mayakoba where I received a quote from the hotel transfer company they used.. and was $185 for round trip..

I ended up getting another company for $120 round trip that was highly recommended by travel boards..

So depends.. you should get a quote and decide..
Old Jul 29, 2011, 1:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
I was just at the Fairmont Mayakoba where I received a quote from the hotel transfer company they used.. and was $185 for round trip..

I ended up getting another company for $120 round trip that was highly recommended by travel boards..

So depends.. you should get a quote and decide..
I suppose the prices you mentioned are in USD. Anyway, thanks. Will email the hotel directly and see what they can offer. If not, I am sure there is a desk at the airport where I can arrange airport transfer.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by martyYYZ
I would not stay at this hotel even if it was free. This is in Union City, South of Oakland.

Here's a very old post
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...p-oakland.html

and another on tripadvisor
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...ECK_RATES_CONT

If it's just a place to sleep, it might work out, otherwise, I'd look elsewhere.

I have not stayed at this hotel but I've been to/through Union City before and I will not return.
Here now. Comments about it being old are spot on, but everything in the room works well, seems safe to me, so I think it's worth 5K/night.

Nothing fancy, but a good stay.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by lelee
CP Istanbul Harbiye has dropped from PB list.

Guessing that HI Berlin Mitte would be next ...

Yup, together with HI Heathrow
Old Jul 29, 2011, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by tycosiao

Thanks
Unless you're REALLY needing the hand holding, you can grab a taxi there. The hotel tacks on 30-40% additional. Don't let the taxi touts get you though. As you exit the intl terminal secure area, on the right, there is an Express taxi counter. They are good, and 20% cheaper than Bluebird. Probably $12-15 USD to the IC

Bluebird will run more, and Silverbird (Mercedes) cars will run almost double the Bluebird. Many of the other airport taxis will try to scam you. Always have them use the meter. Go out to the left for Bluebird/Silverbird.

The only extras you might pay are some tolls (1-2 USD).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.