Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pointbreaks Discussion Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2011, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mnredfox
I did, and they did that. ^
Perfect.. so did they refund the points onto your account? or did they honor the points quoted?

^
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Perfect.. so did they refund the points onto your account? or did they honor the points quoted?

^
Honor the pts quoted. Since it was 75K pts taken out for 3 nights, they gave me 60K pts. Now I should cancel and stay somewhere else.

Wouldn't do that of course...
Old Aug 21, 2011, 11:05 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Omni Plat, Southwest A+ Pref
Not sure if this the correct place for this post, but since it concerns a PB reservation, it seems to be the best choice.

Made a PB reservation for next month at the IC in Cleveland for one night (5000 points). Did this on July 19. Award Wallet today showed a 5000 point increase to my Priority Club account which I thought was high since the only points going in there currently are from dining awards.

Checked my account and I had a reversal of 5000 from the upcoming reservation at the IC. Looked closer at the reservation and found that it was changed to a cash stay as of yesterday. No communication or notice that this was done.

Called Priority and they said this was done by the hotel, I would have to call them. Fine, I just did and after talking to four people there, I was told a manager would call me tomorrow.

Has anyone heard of this happening? How can a hotel arbitrarily change the reservation from award nights to cash? Any input or insight into this?
Old Aug 21, 2011, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Old Key West

Called Priority and they said this was done by the hotel, I would have to call them. Fine, I just did and after talking to four people there, I was told a manager would call me tomorrow.

Has anyone heard of this happening? How can a hotel arbitrarily change the reservation from award nights to cash? Any input or insight into this?
This happens occasionally, almost always inadvertently. If hotels make changes to an award reservation prior to checkin, then the system gets messed up and the award gets detached from the reservation.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I've had this happen before. I just take the original reservation printout. Never been charged yet.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I've had this happen before. I just take the original reservation printout. Never been charged yet.
The biggest issue is really for the hotel, as if they don't fix it, they won't get any reimbursement from PCR.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by soitgoes
The biggest issue is really for the hotel, as if they don't fix it, they won't get any reimbursement from PCR.
no the biggest issue is if the hotel change it back to a award night reservation and
the hotel is no longer on PB, then 30/40k will be deducted from the members account.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
no the biggest issue is if the hotel change it back to a award night reservation and
the hotel is no longer on PB, then 30/40k will be deducted from the members account.
This was actually my fear. I don't want it "fixed" at the standard point amount since I don't think this IC is PB anymore.

Thanks everyone for the input. If the hotel tells me tomorrow something different than experienced above, I will advise.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, but that can be fixed manually.

Hotels are admonished against doing things to cause this issue, but it happens now and then:
Changes to Reward Night reservations:
Hotels should not make changes to Reward Night
reservations. Changing any information on a
Reward Night reservation from your hotel’s front desk
system may cause:
- Cancelled Reward Night reservations
- Re-depositing points back into the member’s
account
- Non payment of Reward Night reimbursements
Old Aug 22, 2011, 12:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Or you end up having to pay the going rate in cash $$$ money.. Without authorization, I can't see how they can reverse the reservation, and go back to dip into the regular amount of points..

This was actually my fear. I don't want it "fixed" at the standard point amount since I don't think this IC is PB anymore.

Thanks everyone for the input. If the hotel tells me tomorrow something different than experienced above, I will advise.
Could explain why the reservations got dropped in IT.. to a regular reservation..
Old Aug 22, 2011, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
So are these "phantom PB's"? Is there any other way but dumb sheer luck in finding these?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 1:06 am
Suspended

Honor the pts quoted. Since it was 75K pts taken out for 3 nights, they gave me 60K pts. Now I should cancel and stay somewhere else.

Wouldn't do that of course...
Once scoring on an exception.. it would not be smart to cancel and book on regular points.. 100% totally agree..

So are these "phantom PB's"? Is there any other way but dumb sheer luck in finding these?
If you know what to look for.. you can certainly generate and print these out if genuinely interested in staying at properties for the quoted dates, room and amount of points..
Old Aug 24, 2011, 6:44 pm

Update: I finally got a hold of a manager at the Cleveland IC and she told me the hotel didn't change my 5,000 PB reservation to cash. It had to be PC. Well, PC told me the hotel did it (which is what I'm sure happened). So no change of my reservation back to points.

This exact same scenario happened to someone else. After half an hour on the phone, he got it fixed, but lost the Ambassador floor the orginial reservation was made under (same as I).

I'm leaning towards leaving it alone and just taking a copy of my original reservation and insisting I get what I booked. The only reason I even knew there was a problem was I saw points go back into my account. No notice from PC or IC that my reservation was changed (and everyone denies they did it).
Old Aug 25, 2011, 12:16 am
Suspended

I'm leaning towards leaving it alone and just taking a copy of my original reservation and insisting I get what I booked. The only reason I even knew there was a problem was I saw points go back into my account. No notice from PC or IC that my reservation was changed (and everyone denies they did it).
Yeah.. sounds fishy to me..

These reservations have a history of changes built in to them.. I would trust PC, and not the hotel..

Perhaps PC can override the reservation and switch it back to points ahead of your reservation.. I hate to see you go to your reservation and be dissapointed.. but maybe the only option you have.. worst case scenario having to pay the reservation its been changed to..
Old Aug 25, 2011, 5:11 am

Programs: BMI/SQ/AFKL/PC RAmbo/Oyster/B&Q
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro

Perhaps PC can override the reservation and switch it back to points ahead of your reservation....
For sure they can .I once got them to amend a PB stay at an IC with the hotel off the PB list.They did it all within the hour.Where there's a will there's a way

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.