Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2015)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2015, 12:43 am

IC Changsha

IC Changsha

What is your Priority Club status?
Platinum Royal Ambassador

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
in general yes

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked cheapest, got corner room (not sure of the type, but more like a junior suite than a room) on high floor facing the river incl. club access

How are the rooms?
New (hotel is open for 6 month), stylish and modern. Large balcony (had to sign that you don't throw things from the balcony). Layout is a bit weird, since a large column in the middle divides the room into the bed and the working area.

How is the exec. lounge?
Huge (one complete floor), nice, food/drink offering on the low end
PC (actually an Apple) has Chinese menus only, not usable for English speaker

What was your welcome gift?
Had some fruits in the room (not refilled). No extra water, no gift

What was good?
- Nice new hotel, nice room
- Great view from room
- Everybody was friendly and helpful (just need more English training)
- great concierge and business center

What was bad?
- Location: The hotel is in the middle of a huge construction zone and there is not much in walking distance. Also on the opposite site of town from high speed train station (40-50 min by taxi)
- No Taxis waiting. Concierge had to call and occasionally it took pretty long
- Breakfast was mediocre at best. Huge buffet area with very limited selections. 45 min before the end there were lots of empty plates (not refilled), some other food looked like sitting there for a long time (dried out, discolored). Lots of things missing. No cloth napkins, only little paper coctail napkins etc.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?
Good

Would you return?
Assuming that they fix breakfast and food/drink in the club: yes
Old Apr 19, 2015, 1:15 pm

Intercontinental Seoul Coex

InterContinental Seoul Coex

Yes, very happy!

Booked standard room, received Executive Suite with Club!

How are the rooms?

Some pictures:
http://youhavebeenupgraded.boardinga...al-seoul-coex/

How is the exec. lounge?
Great! Really good evening spread and breakfast.

Chocolate and wine!

Did you receive fruit in the room?
Yes

What was good and what was bad?
Good
  • Upgrade
  • Fitnesscenter, pool
  • Club (evening spread, breakfast, staff)
  • Royal Ambassador recognition
  • Suite
  • View of the temple
  • Location next to: World Trade Center, Expo, huge Shopping center, Hyundai Department store, City Air Terminal
  • Design

Bad
  • Nothing

Yes

Would you return?
Yes, definitely
Old Apr 22, 2015, 2:12 pm

Intercontinental Cannes Carlton

InterContinental Carlton Cannes

Yes

Booked standard room, received an Executive Suite.

How are the rooms?

Some pictures:
http://youhavebeenupgraded.boardinga...rlton-hotel-2/

How is the exec. lounge?
No lounge

Sweets

Yes

Good
  • Upgrade
  • Renovation
  • Suite
  • Hotel with history
  • View
Bad
  • Small fitnesscenter, no pool, no spa

Yes

Would you return?
Yes
Old Apr 27, 2015, 6:43 am
Suspended

InterContinental Singapore

What is your IHG Rewards status?

Absolutely

Booked Deluxe, upgraded to Presidential Suite

How are the rooms?

282sqm. Takes up half of the top floor of the hotel. Dining room with seating for 12, kitchen, huge lounge plus study, bedroom with four-poster, huge bathroom with sauna, second toilet, two minibars.

How is the exec. lounge?
As described in many reports, very pleasant.

Lion plus drinks voucher

Yes plus small cakes

Good

Lovely Upgrade

Bad

Nothing

Of course, paid corp rate

Would you return?
Yes
Old Apr 30, 2015, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2Millon Mile Flyer, IC Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle, Bonvoy Gold
Ic palazzo las vegas

Generally yes, but only after some initial issues at checkin.

I booked two rooms - one with points and the other on best available. Booked the basic suite and was initially given the same (with a view... ). One of the rooms wasn't even ready at the 3pm checkin time. After some polite but firm discussions with staff, I was upgraded to a Fortuna Suite (which is supposed to be standard for RA's) and an adjoining room on the 48th floor.

How are the rooms?

The Fortuna Suite is a very large suite, which could easily double as an apartment. It was comfortable with all the nice amenities and a step in bathtub and large shower. The bed was very comfy.

How is the exec. lounge?

RA's can use the VIP (marked Royal Ambassador) check in lounge to the right of the front desk. It is not a real lounge by IC standards, but does serve coffee, tea, fruit, cheese, and various breads 24 hours a day. Alcholic drinks are available from the butler, BUT YOU HAVE TO SPECIFICALLY ASK FOR THEM. No hot food items available.

Good:
-Large Comfortable Room
-Private Check In Area
-Fruit basket and bottled water available (no gift)
-Very nice mini-bar selection but a 100 dollar/stay maximum limit
-Well equipped gym facilities at either the Palazzo or the Venetian next door

Bad:
- $29 dollar "resort fee" for all the amenities normally accorded RA's. This includes rooms booked on points.
-Lack of RA recognition at check in. The man at the lounge started to rationalize the lack of upgrades because they are an "Intercontinental Alliance" property. He could barely disguise his displeasure that I even expected anything more than what they wanted to give me. I had to firmly explain the T and C. That got the stay off to a poor start.
-Weak offerings in the lounge. The "real VIP lounge" is on the 50th floor for the high rollers.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?

This was an early Mother's Day celebration for Mom. The rate of $159/nt (which they took great pains to remind me was the cheapest ever) was decent for a LAS hotel. With the resort fee, it took it up to nearly 200/nt. As mentioned by earlier posters, RA's are an afterthought at this property and seem to be treated almost as a necessary evil to be part of IC. I was not impressed. Other than that, the room was great and I'd give it another try.
Old May 1, 2015, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by PremExecSNA
[-Lack of RA recognition at check in. The man at the lounge started to rationalize the lack of upgrades because they are an "Intercontinental Alliance" property. He could barely disguise his displeasure that I even expected anything more than what they wanted to give me. I had to firmly explain the T and C. That got the stay off to a poor start.
Let me give you a tip on Vegas. You have to tip everywhere if you want good service. Front desk staff expect a tip at most hotels when people ask for upgrades. It's just the way it is. Even though you were entitled to the upgrade, he was put out that you didn't slip him some money. I guarantee that had you placed a $20 on the counter his attitude would have been completely different and you might have even gotten a higher upgrade.

If you don't want to play the tip game, then you sometimes have to go through unpleasant exchanges to get what you are entitled to.
Old May 1, 2015, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by stimpy
Let me give you a tip on Vegas. You have to tip everywhere if you want good service. Front desk staff expect a tip at most hotels when people ask for upgrades. It's just the way it is. Even though you were entitled to the upgrade, he was put out that you didn't slip him some money. I guarantee that had you placed a $20 on the counter his attitude would have been completely different and you might have even gotten a higher upgrade.

If you don't want to play the tip game, then you sometimes have to go through unpleasant exchanges to get what you are entitled to.
I was lucky not to have to tip to have a very nice suite at Las Vegas
Old May 1, 2015, 10:49 am

Palazzo Las Vegas

Palazzo Las Vegas

Yes, but don't expect the same level of service as in a regular IC.

Booked cheapest, got 2 level upgrade to the triangular suite at the bend of the building (not sure if this is the Fortuna). Arrived at 9 am. Room was ready. (no tip necessary, everything was offered right away)

How are the rooms?

Large, a bit dark (only one relativelly small window for the whole suite.

Gift / Fruits / Water

Large fruit plate, 4 small bottles of water, no gift

How is the exec. lounge?

As mentioned no 'real' lounge for RAs, just the tiny lounge next to reception. Enough for a quick coffee / drink / some snacks but not good enough to replace a real meal.

Good:
- Special Check in in the lounge for RAs
- Minibar is nice, but only 100 $ free per stay

Bad:
- $29 dollar "resort fee" for basically nothing
- Compared to Normal IC lounges this lounge is a joke.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?

The hotel is relatively nice for Vegas Standard, also underground parking is close to the room (no long walks or eternal waits for valet like in other places). Prices are often reasonable. If the rate is good: yes. Otherwise there are nicer hotels.
Old May 7, 2015, 4:50 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
IC ANA Ishigaki Resort

Yes, with a footnote.

- Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?

Booked revenue standard room for first night. Received Royal Suite (!). Other three nights on points, downgraded back to standard room.

- How are the rooms?

I think the property is showing its age a little bit. That said, the Royal Suite is excellent - it basically has a private wing. The view from the terrasse is magnificent and spans sunrise to sunset.

- How is the exec. lounge?

N/A

- What was good and what was bad?
Good:
- upgrade to Royal Suite, obviously
- Staff is excellent and friendly
- Welcome gift was nice (fruits and locally made chopstick holders)

Bad:
- the downgrade back to the standard room on day 2+. I know most properties don't honour any benefits for RAs on points, but it's still a bit sad to go down so far that there isn't even a Nespresso machine (floors 9+ have them, we were moved to 8). The hotel is fully sold out (high season right now), so I'm only moderately unhappy, but I really with IHG would do something about points redemptions.

- Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?

Yes but only in a lower season to be sure to get the RS again. Since there is neither a lounge nor breakfast included, have to book a paid package rate that includes one to truly benefit from this property.
Old May 7, 2015, 12:49 pm

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
IC Toronto Yorkville

Note: I was just here 3 weeks ago but a little bit different experience and upgrade.

What is your IHG Rewards Club status?
Royal Ambassador

Yes

Booked Studio Suite got upgraded to Royal Suite! (this property is consistent with upgrades, the Royal Suite is 3 levels up but the Penthouse Suite is 2 levels up)

How are the rooms?
Huge! 1600 sq ft (148 sq m) yes you can get lost!
Has a bidet and sauna! Sadly there is a kitchenette but its empty no microwave or anything, just cabinets, just a waste of space.

There is a wet bar and a dining table for six! Fireplace.
The room is separate from the living room/dining area, has separate entrance. Aside from the main hallway entrance, the only way to get in the main living room is from the bedroom if its closed. You can’t go in directly from the main living room, its locked from the main bedroom.

Instead of going out for coffee, dinner (ordered take out) and drinks we end up staying in the suite! utilizing the dining table!

How is the Club Lounge?
N/A

4 chocolate truffles (Its getting boring they need something better other than food) key chain, magnet, bottle opener, etc…?

How was the mini-bar?
Partially stacked

Yes, one apple and one orange

GOOD
- Room upgrade! ROYAL SUITE!
- Concierge was great
- Front staff
- Location, I think this location is much better than IC Toronto Centre. More things to do around. Unless if you want to visit the CN Tower, Air Canada Centre, Rogers Centre, Union Station and Ripley's Aquarium.

BAD
- Connecting to the internet was a challenge, need to be done few times. Then at 12am it got disconnected!

- Not really bad or big deal but just mentioning, the room wasn’t ready when I arrived at 11am, they were fully booked the night before. Not a big deal, we left our luggage and walked around. There was no need to demand a room

Value for $ or Club Points?
It was not bad, there were 3 of us so we split the cost and there was the Hot Docs Film Festival in town. Needed to book a Studio Suite to get a better upgrade. With the Royal Suite upgrade it was an awesome value!

Would you return?
Yes
Old May 7, 2015, 5:46 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
I've had consistent success getting the Royal Suite while booking the Studio Suite, and I'm glad others have, as well. It's a great room. The first time I got it, I couldn't find the bedroom (they forgot to unlock one of the many doors). So I called the concierge, and told them that I can't find ... my bedroom. After a few seconds of stunned silence, they asked me to clarify, then I did, then they brightened up and sent someone to unlock the door. But the initial silence was golden. "I'm sorry, sir?". Haha.
Old May 8, 2015, 11:49 am

Intercontinental Tokyo Bay

InterContinental Tokyo Bay

Yes

Booked standard room with 35000 points, received Executive Room with free minibar (+snacks), fast wifi, club access.

How are the rooms?

Really cool:
http://youhavebeenupgraded.boardinga...tal-tokyo-bay/

How is the exec. lounge?
Nice. Normally you have to buy club access (RA: 40 Euros), but the first time you get club access to try it.

Wine and sweets

Yes

Good
  • Upgrade
  • Club Lounge
  • Very friendly staff
  • Executive Room
  • View
Bad

A bargain! 35000 points, compared to 50000 points at ANA IC and The strings.

Would you return?
Yes
Old May 9, 2015, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA GGL, NH SFC, IHG Diamond, Radisson VIP, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by youhavebeenupgraded
InterContinental Tokyo Bay

How is the exec. lounge?
Nice. Normally you have to buy club access (RA: 40 Euros), but the first time you get club access to try it.
Was this quite recent? I stayed there late April and did not get the access for my paid stay.

I fought with the hotel quite lot after the stay and the Ambassador service also supported me, but did not get any comments from the hotel.

What the hotel said was that they would not give the access to an upgraded Club room. They knew this was against the T&C's in English, but they did have their T&C's in Japanese, which did not have such an access policy. Therefore, they would try to have non-Japanese speakers understand the Japanese rule...
Old May 9, 2015, 3:44 pm

Programs: IHG Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by Dark Blue
Was this quite recent? I stayed there late April and did not get the access for my paid stay.

I fought with the hotel quite lot after the stay and the Ambassador service also supported me, but did not get any comments from the hotel.

What the hotel said was that they would not give the access to an upgraded Club room. They knew this was against the T&C's in English, but they did have their T&C's in Japanese, which did not have such an access policy. Therefore, they would try to have non-Japanese speakers understand the Japanese rule...
Now Japanese Version also has same text.
Old May 10, 2015, 12:25 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
Originally Posted by Raynyan
Now Japanese Version also has same text.
Will this then be applied to all the other IC in Tokyo as well?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.