Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Stay 4 times to earn up to 4x bonus points (Fall 2019 promo, expired)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stay 4 times to earn up to 4x bonus points (Fall 2019 promo, expired)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by chongcao
Sometimes it is better not to believe in the words of customer service. The Terms and Conditions is very clear that booking after registration is not required. The only part concerning the booking and staying is
For sure. I have been told incorrect info by CSRs and when I challenged the info, a different CSR confirmed I was right. Not just with IHG either. It would be a complete change of procedure for IHG NOT to count stays that were reserved, but not completed, before the promo.

I also noticed that the fine print did not define which points are eligible for 2x 3x 4x. From prior experience, I'm sure only the hotel points, not the additional points I get for Spire, will get 2x 3x 4x, but the promo does not say that. That's a pretty big oversight. IHG really needs to hire new people to write the promos.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: IC Amb, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jn in ca
For sure. I have been told incorrect info by CSRs and when I challenged the info, a different CSR confirmed I was right. Not just with IHG either. It would be a complete change of procedure for IHG NOT to count stays that were reserved, but not completed, before the promo.

I also noticed that the fine print did not define which points are eligible for 2x 3x 4x. From prior experience, I'm sure only the hotel points, not the additional points I get for Spire, will get 2x 3x 4x, but the promo does not say that. That's a pretty big oversight. IHG really needs to hire new people to write the promos.
yea, they keep telling different things..

i was told this statement previously on early October, before i booked all of my stays for Nov

---
If there's an upcoming promotion in November, you may absolutely register to that offer and your stay may be counted depending on the type of promotion offered.
---

and now they said it doesnt count. Really annoying.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 6:11 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Thumbs-up ^ to IHG for adding this promo to sweeten an Accelerate promo that was close to a flop for many of us. This one has me thinking about how/where I can shift stays from other chains over to IHG-- which I'm sure is their goal. And one of my goals is figuring out how to align a cheap ($100) stay with the 1k bonus stage so I can be at the 2x points stage, minimum, for my $600 stay 3 weeks from now!
Old Oct 25, 2019, 8:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
I also asked about stays booked before registration and received this reply:

"I'm glad to inform you as well that reservations made prior to registering on the said offer will still be counted as long as the stay dates is beyond the promotions time-frame."

I'm taking 'beyond' to mean 'within'.

Interestingly, my other question to them was about an overlapping offer I had registered for: 'Earn double points with Accelerate'. According to this rep, each stay I have will receive the bonus points for both offers. Seems like I could get a load of points if that's true, so I'm a bit skeptical.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 1:56 am

Completed a 1 night stay booked on 22, stay on 23, registered to the promo on 24 after checking out, and guess what? I received the 1k points posted with the stay points. Had another stay on 24, will monitor to see if I will get the double points.
FlyerTalker688786 and minz56 like this.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 5:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by VG3RMJC2
Completed a 1 night stay booked on 22, stay on 23, registered to the promo on 24 after checking out, and guess what? I received the 1k points posted with the stay points. Had another stay on 24, will monitor to see if I will get the double points.
Good data point. Although that seems surprising, it isn't, because the IHG computer does not award points instantly upon check out. Your bonus registration hit the IHG computer before the computer calculated the points to give you for your stay.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 1:45 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
I received the promo email on Wednesday evening whilst at a Holiday Inn on a 1-night stay booked a week earlier. Registered as soon as I received email and the 1000 points posted yesterday with the stay points as part of the hotels posting. I checkout from a Crowne Plaza today which will be my second stay after registration (stay booked last month) and will update but it looks to me like once you register all stays count regardless of when booked.
FlyerTalker688786 likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: IHG, M&M, FB, Avios, ALL, etc.
According to the T&C:

Stays must booked by December 15, 2019 and completed by January 31, 2020

If I a book a hotel room for 4 nights on, say, December 10, and modify it to just 2 nights on January 10 (check-in is on January 20), do you know if the original date of the booking remains, or does IHG consider it a booking made in January and thus ineligible for the promo?

Thanks
Old Oct 27, 2019, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by jn in ca

So if it's a "bonus", then 4x should mean 5x points per stay, leaving aside the Spire bonus. I value the points at 5-7 $/k, so my usual "discount" via points is around 20%, counting my credit card bonus. If this one gives an additional 4x, that turns into a total "discount" for me of 7x, over 40%. Are they sure they can handle this?

The "up to 200,000" has not been defined as per stay, or the whole promotion, or has it? If I stayed the next three months at $100 a night, say 90 nights, $9000 and that would equal 630,000 points to me, 450,000 to the non-elite client. I probably won't go much more than the 200k, more likely burning points alongside this, but would it be in their interest to cap it at 200,000?

As for the "booked before/after registration", I've gone back and found one price drop, one increase, and one unchanged. I won't pay the increase, and hope it counts for the 1000. The others I'll re-book, and I'm even shortening them to a single night, just to get the 4x triggering going sooner. I have to move between the hotels anyway, might as well guarantee the promo hit.

It may be a bit obsessive (aren't we all? ) to hit it all in one week, but the upcoming $300 stay might get 3000 additional. I suppose after that, it's all the same result.

But, yeah, I (retired) can manage to spend a few thousand of my money in warm places and get a couple hundred thousand more points to burn at more expensive times. At a 40% "discount", they've got my business, while on alert for the usual glitches.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 10:56 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by josmon10
According to the T&C:

Stays must booked by December 15, 2019 and completed by January 31, 2020

If I a book a hotel room for 4 nights on, say, December 10, and modify it to just 2 nights on January 10 (check-in is on January 20), do you know if the original date of the booking remains, or does IHG consider it a booking made in January and thus ineligible for the promo?

Thanks
To be safe, why not book the 2 nights first, and then book the other 2 nights in best flexible rate in case you need to cancel? Supposedly the original book date matters but IHG IT is known to be buggy. Thus my suggestion above.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by SEAfarer
So if it's a "bonus", then 4x should mean 5x points per stay, leaving aside the Spire bonus.
FWIW, I've now had two stays from a recent holiday in Japan post under the offer - and I only registered the day I checked out from the last hotel.

The first one posted with:

Up To 4X 1,000

And the second one posted with:

Base Points 25,221
Elite Bonus Points 25,221
Up To 4X - 2x for 2nd Stay 25,221

Just from that one stay, I've now beaten the past couple of years' worth of Accelerate offers - indeed, the last two offers have been complete zeroes for me.

I've more stays coming up, but they're only one-night stays in a Holiday Inn, rather than an InterContinental. Nonetheless, this is the best promotion in years for me!
Modo and jn in ca like this.

Last edited by Retron; Oct 27, 2019 at 9:25 pm
Old Oct 29, 2019, 2:06 am

Programs: IC Amb, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Retron
FWIW, I've now had two stays from a recent holiday in Japan post under the offer - and I only registered the day I checked out from the last hotel.

The first one posted with:

Up To 4X 1,000

And the second one posted with:

Base Points 25,221
Elite Bonus Points 25,221
Up To 4X - 2x for 2nd Stay 25,221

Just from that one stay, I've now beaten the past couple of years' worth of Accelerate offers - indeed, the last two offers have been complete zeroes for me.

I've more stays coming up, but they're only one-night stays in a Holiday Inn, rather than an InterContinental. Nonetheless, this is the best promotion in years for me!
Thanks for the info, sounds good.
I hope my stays (booked before i registered for this 4k promo) will be counted also.

Btw, that hotel with 25,221 base point must be super great
Hope you enjoy our holiday.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: IHG, M&M, FB, Avios, ALL, etc.
Originally Posted by chongcao
To be safe, why not book the 2 nights first, and then book the other 2 nights in best flexible rate in case you need to cancel? Supposedly the original book date matters but IHG IT is known to be buggy. Thus my suggestion above.
Thanks for the tip, I guess I'll do something like this.

I'll be visiting several customers in different countries in the second half of January, but I won't be able to have a definitive schedule by December 15. I'll book the hotels according to my ideal itinerary and keep my fingers crossed!
Old Oct 31, 2019, 9:05 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Just to report my stay is posted with 1K bonus. Now looking forward to my second stay. I am actually considering give up my Hilton Diamond re-qualification and get maximum IHG points this winter.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 11:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
I just realised the cost of one of my stays is $28 before tax. The terms state that total spend must be over $30. Can someone confirm that buying something at the hotel will count towards that total spend?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.