Address
Intercontinental Maldives Maamunagu Resort
Maamunagu Resort
Raa Atoll
Maldives
Tel + 960 6580500
Mail: [email protected]

Link to hotel:
https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental/hotels/us/en/maamunagau-island/mlemm/hoteldetail

Flight to airport (MLE)
Seaplane Round Trip
USD 580++ now 700++ per adult
USD 290++ now 350++ per child (3 -12 years of age)
children up to the age of 2 are free (but no seat)
(Post)

Rewards points:
120.000 Points

(According to this post, the hotel opens up reward inventory 3 month prior to stay date)

List of Digestifs at pool (daily between 20:00 - 22:00)
List in Post #48

Reports
Ambassador
Report of an Ambassador (on reward stay) in December 2019

Other
Pre Opening thread

Resort Menus in Post #140 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32883853-post140.html
Print Wikipost

InterContinental Maldives Maamunagau Resort Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2021, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by eltoddo22
I notice Six Senses Laamu is also available to book for points now... 100k versus 120k for Intercontinental. I've been to Intercontinental Maldives (loved it) before and am considering whether to return or try Six Senses.
Anyone with experience at both? Six Senses is more expensive by cash for most dates but is older and doesn't have all-club benefit. I'm guessing Intercon will be hard to beat but reviews of Six Senses also are good.
My problem with using points at Laamu is that the base room the points book into does not have a private pool on the deck while the Intercon does.
I think Intercon's private pool + all club benefits are worth the 20K point difference.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 9:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, Alaska MVP 75k, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by agjil
My problem with using points at Laamu is that the base room the points book into does not have a private pool on the deck while the Intercon does.
I think Intercon's private pool + all club benefits are worth the 20K point difference.
Good point on lack of private pool. I think that we might just go back to Intercontinental. Agreed those benefits are worth the extra 20k points. I'm not sure how Six Senses can justify the higher cash price when it sounds like there are better alternatives.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Hyperwave88
Here is my review:

Disclaimer: This was my first time in the Maldives so my review will be based on previous resorts and IHG hotels outside the Maldives with some information I gathered about the Maldives before going.

The great stuff:
  • Custom Sandalwood fragrance throughout the Hotel. It starts in the Seaplane terminal and stays throughout the hotel on the island. Villas, hotel bathrooms, spa all smell the same. I found it very consistent and nice. The staff were so generous, they gave us half a bottle of that oil on our way home )
  • The RETREAT! Probably my favorite place on the island. The library inside can be easily mistaken for a Rtiz Carlton/Four Seasons property. Very well designed
  • The front desk/reception area is amazing/ Shame its not utilized because of Covid and guests check-in/out in villas
  • Food was genuinely great and very very very very generous at the property. There is so much food and everyone is really really really generous. For example, they would refill afternoon tea canapes until you can't even get up anymore. If you are planning to save on food in the Maldives this is the property to be in
  • In-room products are very high-end and sustainable. https://www.moooi.com/us/product/moo...metics-giftset
  • The space between the water villas in incredible. You can really fit a villa in between 2 villas and still have gap
  • I didn't mind the design of the villas contrary to other reviews online
  • The hotel staff was so generous that they offered any type of upgrade if I wanted. I asked for the Lagoon and it was absolutely fantastic. If you don't mind having access to jumping into the water, the lagoon villa is AMAZING
  • THE STAFF. The best thing about this hotel is the STAFF. Service is above anything I have seen in any other hotel. Service is really on par with properties that are 2-3x the price of this property
  • Occupancy: There were a total of 6 people on the property at the beginning of September. Really felt like a private island
The weird stuff:
  • The arrival gift was a $7 sparkling wine?? I complained and Mr Jun the director of guest relations sent us MOET in the Lagoon villa
  • While the pool is not important since there are pools and jacuzzis in the villas, the main pool is really weird. The design doesn't even fit the furniture or buildings around it. Feels like the pool was already there and they built the whole hotel around it. It looks like A 3 star Florida property pool at most
  • The property is small so the lagoon might seem very artificial to some, especially if you look from the retreat deck but I didn't mind it. I was happy with the million shades of blue
  • The bikes were fantastic but they felt very light and cheap and were hard to stir in the sand. Again I didn't mind that. We are on an island not tour de France
Overall my impressions are that there are many details that were thought of in this property but there are others that just don't match the overall high-end Maldives theme if that's what you are looking for. However, If you take into consideration the staff, cost of the stay, generous free food and drinks, cost of F&B on the property, I really believe this is a stellar choice in the Maldives.I also booked this stay on points so I have really nothing to complain about. I hope the above points are fairly represented.

SUNRISE vs SUNSET:

Initially, I thought sunset is a better option since we will never wake up to catch a sunrise. However, sunrise turned out to be a better idea. Sunset villas face the lagoon, Lighthouse and seaplane landing while Sunsrise villas face open water. You have 10x more chances of seeing dolphins every morning in Sunrise villas. I have seen them once passing by in the morning. Check the review below:https://theluxurytraveller.com/2021/...ntal-maldives/

Let me know if you have questions

I just booked Waldorf Astoria next year for fewer points than IC Maldives. I am really starting to question the benefits of the IHG rewards program and I have been an ambassador since 09
Great review, thanks for posting.
Among the on-site restaurant choices, was there any particular one you liked/didn't like?
Old Oct 1, 2021, 1:21 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor Plat, IHG Diamond
Did you end up staying at the one bedroom lagoon pool villa?
It looks like this villa doesn't have direct ocean access from the pool deck - do you know if this is correct?
I had to cancel unfortunately, but I would most probably have split my stay between the rooms to try out both
Old Oct 2, 2021, 5:50 am

Great review, thanks for posting.
Among the on-site restaurant choices, was there any particular one you liked/didn't like?
Fish market was the best IMO. Lighthouse was good but flavours were not as strong as Fish market but then again its an Island
Old Oct 2, 2021, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by wsc

Sounds great!
Few questions, where you in touch with the hotel much before you got there, if so Via what method?
How much did you spend on food?
Do you know if there is any benefit in being Ambassador at the resort?
do you have pictures of the complimentary snacks?

thanks!
We spent a total of 600 on food and drinks. You can always order room service which is cheaper. Same menu as cafe umi. This was afternoon tea.

These were items from breakfast

Btw The retreat bar has a 30Y Macallan btw if anyone is interested and surprisingly its was similarly priced as a fancy bar in North America.

These were from the dinner at the Lighthouse

You may also want to skip the floating breakfast. Absolute waste of $180. Other than posting on Instagram, there is no real benefit of doing this since you can't really enjoy eating in a pool when there is any wind and the basket floats left and right. Whoever said this is a great idea, lied

francophile and wsc like this.

Last edited by Hyperwave88; Oct 2, 2021 at 8:08 am
Old Oct 17, 2021, 5:18 am
wsc

We spent a total of 600 on food and drinks. You can always order room service which is cheaper. Same menu as cafe umi. This was afternoon tea.

These were items from breakfast

Btw The retreat bar has a 30Y Macallan btw if anyone is interested and surprisingly its was similarly priced as a fancy bar in North America.

M

These were from the dinner at the Lighthouse

You may also want to skip the floating breakfast. Absolute waste of $180. Other than posting on Instagram, there is no real benefit of doing this since you can't really enjoy eating in a pool when there is any wind and the basket floats left and right. Whoever said this is a great idea, lied

thanks, that was 600 across how many days?
Old Nov 18, 2021, 6:03 pm
wsc

“All Day Refreshments
Guests will be pampered with all-day refreshments at The Retreat & The Pool Bar daily. Cool off with fresh water or soft drinks as you bask in the panoramic views of the sea or lagoon; perfect for staying hydrated under the Maldivian sun.”

How are these soft drinks? Do they do mocktails? When they say all day, what times?
Old Nov 22, 2021, 4:46 am
wsc

Originally Posted by blackzarg
Hi - any chance you could upload these again, or if anyone else has them saved down? Thanks
Old Nov 22, 2021, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by wsc
thanks, that was 600 across how many days?
6 days

Originally Posted by wsc
“All Day Refreshments
Guests will be pampered with all-day refreshments at The Retreat & The Pool Bar daily. Cool off with fresh water or soft drinks as you bask in the panoramic views of the sea or lagoon; perfect for staying hydrated under the Maldivian sun.”

How are these soft drinks? Do they do mocktails? When they say all day, what times?

Afternoon tea and aperitif times. 3-5pm and 5pm-7pm

Cocktails are very basic btw but if you tip the bartenders they will be generous like everywhere else on this property.

I am looking at other high end properties at the Maldives for future visits. The f&b prices on this property are A STEALLLL. Just go
Old Nov 23, 2021, 4:46 am
wsc

6 days

Afternoon tea and aperitif times. 3-5pm and 5pm-7pm

Cocktails are very basic btw but if you tip the bartenders they will be generous like everywhere else on this property.

I am looking at other high end properties at the Maldives for future visits. The f&b prices on this property are A STEALLLL. Just go
Thanks, I am going! Just debating whether to add HB/FB are just pay as I eat! Thanks
Old Nov 23, 2021, 7:27 am

Programs: IHG Spire AMB
Originally Posted by wsc
Thanks, I am going! Just debating whether to add HB/FB are just pay as I eat! Thanks
I know this is fairly individual but I would go with pay as you eat unless you need three full meals and really eat a lot. I was originally debating whether to go with all inclusive (we drink a lot..) but looking back I'm glad we didn't. Got stuffed during breakfast, skipping lunch almost every day and moving on to the afternoon tea (if hungry), followed by canapes served with the evening aperitif.. Then straight to dinner.
We felt real packed one night and decided to split a main - received two massive portions and the waiter mentioned they're trying to show the hospitality by serving almost full size portions when you ask to split it..

Our final bill for 6 nights was around USD 900 and in general this would cover bottle of wine during the day, then two mains, split appetizer and a dessert + a bottle of wine for dinner with occasional shared snack/light lunch on the hungrier days.
Ldnn1 and wsc like this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 8:05 pm

Can anyone with a recent stay comment on the wifi availability/speed? The Luxury Traveler review commented that the speeds are quite slow.

There is a chance I may need to join a video Zoom call during my stay and want to make alternative arrangements if there may be any issues with this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by dibbzlive
Can anyone with a recent stay comment on the wifi availability/speed? The Luxury Traveler review commented that the speeds are quite slow.

There is a chance I may need to join a video Zoom call during my stay and want to make alternative arrangements if there may be any issues with this.
It wasn't slow in September but it was not stable. the phone was constantly connecting and disconnecting so I left it in the safe to enjoy the trip
Old Nov 26, 2021, 11:10 am
wsc

At the resort soon, any questions let me know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.