Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crowne Plaza Barcelona Fira Center Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2019, 4:53 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, IHG Rewards Diamond Ambassador
you've done well - better than me it seems!
Old Oct 13, 2019, 1:28 pm

Just got back from a 3 night stay here (Thursday to Sunday). All 3 nights were on points. I've got Spite Elite status. I was upgraded to a suite with club lounge access.

Modern, well appointed rooms - 2 TVs, large bathroom with separate bath & shower. The room looked like it had been fairly recently redecorated.

The club lounge was very good, with Moet & Tapas available in the evening. There was a very acceptable breakfast in the room adjoining the club lounge.

The rooftop bar / restaurant has good views, although I made the mistake of not booking a table up there for Dinner & had to make do with a couple of drinks at the bar.

The only downside is that it's a bit out of the city centre - the nearest metro station is around 7 minutes walk & it's around 10 minutes journey on the metro to the centre.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat Amb
Did anyone else notice this is now an Intercontinental? I had reservations for October of this year, logged on to check on them, saw it said Intercontinental. Went to their website and it definitely says Intercontinental.
davidw70 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 10:55 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Lenflyer64
Did anyone else notice this is now an Intercontinental? I had reservations for October of this year, logged on to check on them, saw it said Intercontinental. Went to their website and it definitely says Intercontinental.
I Interesting, seems like they will do some soft room refurbishment if the one picture of a suite I spotted is anything to go by.

Was checking prices in Nov 2021 and seems to be starting at 299€ then. A stark difference to rates as a CP. For that money I'd rather stay at the Kimpton which is ~250€ up for the same period though rooms are quirkier at Kimpton over IC.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by demue
I Interesting, seems like they will do some soft room refurbishment if the one picture of a suite I spotted is anything to go by.

Was checking prices in Nov 2021 and seems to be starting at 299€ then. A stark difference to rates as a CP. For that money I'd rather stay at the Kimpton which is ~250€ up for the same period though rooms are quirkier at Kimpton over IC.
Hopefully they did more than just a little refurbishment if they think that just changing the brand is enough to get more Euros out of the trade fair crowd. (if those ever return)
Old Apr 3, 2021, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Conversion into InterContinental Barcelona by Brime Robbins design agency.

DonPedro likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 11:33 am

Programs: QF Plat, IHG RA, Marriott Plat
Now accepting reservations.

https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental...cp/hoteldetail

Looks good. Has Club Lounge (although decor seems a bit generic for a city such as Barcelona).

Good to have a new IC at such a big/popular European city.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 12:51 pm

Is this really better? As a Spire Club Lounge is not included anymore and prices go up. Not sure
Old Apr 20, 2021, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by estrela
Is this really better? As a Spire Club Lounge is not included anymore and prices go up. Not sure
Ambassadors can "game" the guaranteed upgrade to get a club room or suite. They could also use their 2-for-1 weekend certificate.

It's also a recognition that the CP brand isn't worth much any more. Although the usual strategy is to squeeze a good deal out of a different chain -i.e. reflag to a Grand Hyatt or Conrad - rather than stick with IHG.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 8:55 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
If the hotel sticks to the IHG AMB T&Cs then there isn't that much gaming with regards to Club possible. Sure as AMB you could book the room category below Club and get a Club room assigned, but it will exclude club access & benefits unless the hotel feels generous.

For RA Club access will be included of course. YMMV.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 3:08 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Spire RA
Originally Posted by demue
If the hotel sticks to the IHG AMB T&Cs then there isn't that much gaming with regards to Club possible. Sure as AMB you could book the room category below Club and get a Club room assigned, but it will exclude club access & benefits unless the hotel feels generous.

For RA Club access will be included of course. YMMV.
I remember staying there in October 19 as RA. Despite booking the cheapest room under full occupancy they've upgraded me to a full suite incl Club access. Same experience as in previous stays. I felt the hotel always generous in those aspects. And in terms of quality this CP similar to the CP in Gurgaon India stood IMO always above the general CP standards (looking e.g. at Hamburg, Germany or Novi Michigan just to name a few which come into my mind)
Old Apr 21, 2021, 5:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Ambassadors can "game" the guaranteed upgrade to get a club room or suite.
The chance of getting complimentary club access as a Spire Amb (non-RA) at a European IC is close to nil. You gotta either pay for it through a rate that includes club access or you may be able to buy up at check-in.

I think this reflag is a negative overall unless you don't care about pricing. I think this is largely targeting high-value customers such as Americans which are willing to pay a considerable premium for an IC over a CP. BCN is a popular tourist destination and, again, I really think the poor brand perception of CP in parts of the world (especially North America) may be a factor in this.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 6:35 am

Generally European ICs are well located. This one is not well placed for the city. More for conventions.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 12:50 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
I stayed here pre-cruise in the past, i remember the club breakfast having a good selection of items.

The suite we had came with the White Company amenities, hopefully they don't change it to Agaria.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 8:18 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

The hotel is now open as IC Barcelona. You can find this thead here. I therefore close this thread.

FLYGVA
co-moderator IHG Forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.