Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crowne Plaza Barcelona Fira Center Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2015, 12:50 pm

Thanks. I did actually see your link to this post earlier--your rave review of the club lounge is actually what made me reconsider my reservation at the Indigo Plaza Catalunya. I'm really just trying to get a feel for the neighborhood around the hotel, so any insights that you or others have to share with regards to that are very welcome.

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Where did you read that a 20 Euro payment would give 2 access to the Club Lounge on an award stay?
I didn't read that specifically, that is just the difference in rate between the room type you can book with points and a Club room for my dates. I'm assuming (based on past experience at another CP) that the hotel will allow me to upgrade to a Club room for the difference in rate. I may be wrong, of course.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 2:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kdoughboy
Thanks. I did actually see your link to this post earlier--your rave review of the club lounge is actually what made me reconsider my reservation at the Indigo Plaza Catalunya. I'm really just trying to get a feel for the neighborhood around the hotel, so any insights that you or others have to share with regards to that are very welcome.

I didn't read that specifically, that is just the difference in rate between the room type you can book with points and a Club room for my dates. I'm assuming (based on past experience at another CP) that the hotel will allow me to upgrade to a Club room for the difference in rate. I may be wrong, of course.
Well, I think that you should carefully re-read the prior comments for one individual noted that they had wanted 30 Euros per person to obtain Lounge Access -- and it was unclear if the person was actually paying instead of using rewards points for the stay!
Old Feb 17, 2015, 2:27 pm

Well, I think that you should carefully re-read the prior comments for one individual noted that they had wanted 30 Euros per person to obtain Lounge Access -- and it was unclear if the person was actually paying instead of using rewards points for the stay!
I did see that comment and take mental note of it. That would be a complete rip-off compared to the €20 room rate difference, and I wouldn't consider paying €60 just for club lounge access. In any case, I would contact the hotel and see if what I'm planning is even possible before canceling my reservation at the Indigo.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 6:16 pm
Suspended

I did see that comment and take mental note of it. That would be a complete rip-off compared to the €20 room rate difference, and I wouldn't consider paying €60 just for club lounge access. In any case, I would contact the hotel and see if what I'm planning is even possible before canceling my reservation at the Indigo.
While doing so, keep us posted on that as well as if you were to ask them the question whether they routinely upgrade Platinum members for C/L access now? Perhaps they have had a change in policy or do so when times are slow and not during the busy summer and trade shows?
Old Feb 20, 2015, 9:02 pm

I've exchanged a few emails with the hotel regarding the aforementioned Club Room upgrade question and have a good idea of what they offer with regards to this. Keep in mind this is for specific dates in September, so there might be some variation based on date/demand/etc.

For a straight points booking to Club Room upgrade, it's €50 per room per night. This is not based on the €20 rate difference between the King Sofa Bed room and Club Room, but rather the King Room and Club Room. The King Room is the lower level of two available room levels bookable with points, so they base the cash upgrade cost on the rate difference between that and the Club room.

I did ask if they regularly upgrade Platinum members to Club Lounge access, and they said they were happy to provide a Club Room upgrade, but that it would not include lounge access. After seeking further clarification, obtaining Club Lounge access in this particular scenario would also cost €50 per room per night.

So, for those who are interested, it seems like securing the Club Room upgrade beforehand is the way to go, since the cost for Club Lounge access is the same even if you're upgraded to a Club Room--which, as stated, is based on availability. If you're out €50 per night either way, I see no reason not to secure the upgrade ahead of time.

As for me, I will most likely not be booking here because the Club Lounge is the main appeal. I have 5 nights booked at the Indigo, which is in a more central location, and it's hard to justify spending €250 just for Club Lounge access (since we do not really value the room upgrade itself). The C/L is very appealing, though, so I'll have to give it more thought before making up my mind.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 1:31 am

deleted

Last edited by Koby; Feb 21, 2015 at 11:47 pm Reason: deleted
Old Feb 21, 2015, 7:00 am
Suspended

I've exchanged a few emails with the hotel regarding the aforementioned Club Room upgrade question and have a good idea of what they offer with regards to this. Keep in mind this is for specific dates in September, so there might be some variation based on date/demand/etc.

For a straight points booking to Club Room upgrade, it's €50 per room per night. This is not based on the €20 rate difference between the King Sofa Bed room and Club Room, but rather the King Room and Club Room. The King Room is the lower level of two available room levels bookable with points, so they base the cash upgrade cost on the rate difference between that and the Club room.

I did ask if they regularly upgrade Platinum members to Club Lounge access, and they said they were happy to provide a Club Room upgrade, but that it would not include lounge access. After seeking further clarification, obtaining Club Lounge access in this particular scenario would also cost €50 per room per night.

So, for those who are interested, it seems like securing the Club Room upgrade beforehand is the way to go, since the cost for Club Lounge access is the same even if you're upgraded to a Club Room--which, as stated, is based on availability. If you're out €50 per night either way, I see no reason not to secure the upgrade ahead of time.

As for me, I will most likely not be booking here because the Club Lounge is the main appeal. I have 5 nights booked at the Indigo, which is in a more central location, and it's hard to justify spending €250 just for Club Lounge access (since we do not really value the room upgrade itself). The C/L is very appealing, though, so I'll have to give it more thought before making up my mind.
I'm glad that you checked that out beforehand.

I initially had done what you have decided to do as I think the higher point cost for the Indigo is justified based upon its location, especially since it seems walkable from the Aerobus from the Placa Cataluyuna and of its location.

Moreover, I would rather pay a higher point cost for that, then spend out of pocket for the Club Lounge, no matter how appealing that may be -- 50 Euros seems much too expensive, especially since BCN is a foodie paradise and I would rather spend my $$ at an establishment out of the hotel all things considered.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
I initially had done what you have decided to do as I think the higher point cost for the Indigo is justified based upon its location, especially since it seems walkable from the Aerobus from the Placa Cataluyuna and of its location.
Aerobus also stops at Plaça Espanya/Plaza España, which is not so far from Crowne Plaza (but not that convenient if you have heavy luggage).

Still, location of Indigo is certainly better for visiting (and Crowne Plaza, even if comfortable, is more a business hotel with less charm).
Old Feb 21, 2015, 3:53 pm

I'm glad that you checked that out beforehand.

Moreover, I would rather pay a higher point cost for that, then spend out of pocket for the Club Lounge, no matter how appealing that may be -- 50 Euros seems much too expensive, especially since BCN is a foodie paradise and I would rather spend my $$ at an establishment out of the hotel all things considered.
We're actually arriving on the AVE from Madrid, so the Aerobus won't be very useful for us.

Also, the Indigo is actually the same points cost as the CP (30k/night). When they're asking €50 per night just for Lounge access, that makes the Indigo and its central location even more appealing.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 8:36 am
Suspended

We're actually arriving on the AVE from Madrid, so the Aerobus won't be very useful for us.

Also, the Indigo is actually the same points cost as the CP (30k/night). When they're asking €50 per night just for Lounge access, that makes the Indigo and its central location even more appealing.
Oh, then that is a no-brainer.

This European Indigo also is one of the lower cost Indigos compared to Paris, London, or Rome, as well.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 8:23 pm

Hi Everybody,

Just a couple of follow up questions on this thread. Assuming I can somehow get myself (Plat Amb) upgraded to the club level:
(1) Is it worth paying for Club Access @ 50/room/night x 3 nights = EUR150 or the breakfast buffet at EUR18/person/day x 3 persons x 3 breakfast days = EUR 162? Is their club lounge breakfast comparable to the buffet spread? They are pretty close price-wise so I am not concerned about that. We will be out and about for most of this time so I am looking at the club lounge primarily for breakfast and maybe a couple of snacks here and there.
(2) Aside from the usual drinks and snacks all day, do they evening food (appetizers or even dinner?)?
(3) Are there any other advantages to this club lounge?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 29, 2015, 1:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK*Elite+, EBD, FBG, EKS, IHG Royal Ambassador
I would go with the club lounge. The breakfast buffet is good and you get the added bonus of the club lounge. Go by, have a glass of Champagne in the evening on your way out and just sit and relax for a few minutes. I thought this lounge was better than many IC lounges I have visited.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 3:15 pm

Thanks, johnenrik. Looks like everybody likes this lounge. My stay is in 2 weeks and I am leaning toward the lounge option. The breakfast comparison question was prompted by my wife's comment about other lounges we've been to where there was breakfast but really not a lot of choices.

Any tips on how I can get myself upgraded at this property? I am Platinum Ambassador currently booked in a 2 double bed room.

Originally Posted by johhenrik
I would go with the club lounge. The breakfast buffet is good and you get the added bonus of the club lounge. Go by, have a glass of Champagne in the evening on your way out and just sit and relax for a few minutes. I thought this lounge was better than many IC lounges I have visited.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK*Elite+, EBD, FBG, EKS, IHG Royal Ambassador
I have no advise om the upgrade, but come to think of it, I believe you were allowed to eat breakfast in the regular restaurant if you have club access. I might be mistaken, because I didn't opt for that, since the club lounge was not crowded at all and I prefer peace and quiet. Give them a call and ask. Because if I remember right, then it is a no brainer for you.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 9:26 am

So, I called them yesterday for an upgrade and today for a suite. Both front desk persons confirmed to me that as a platinum member I get a one level free upgrade - so in this case from a standard room to an executive room. Seemed like a standard benefit as far as they are concerned. When I asked for a suite this morning they gave me an upsell for EUR 75/night including club lounge access. I'm cheap so I negotiated a slightly lower rate of EUR 70/night x 3 nights. Overall, I find the comps okay:
* EUR 18/person/night x 3 nights = EUR 162 - for just breakfast
* EUR 20/person/night x 3 nights = EUR 180 - for club lounge access
* EUR 70/night x 3 nights = EUR 210 - for a suite and club lounge

I'd love for this to all just be zero upcharge, which is what I am used to with the Hyatt Diamond benefits. Too bad the the Agbar Tower property is not open yet. Oh well, you can't get everything in this life and I chose to go this route anyway. I did notice that everything seemed to be open to negotiations so I probably could have negotiated better.

By the way, I also confirmed with them your query on being able to choose where to have breakfast. They said YES, you can choose to go to the restaurant or the club lounge for breakfast and it would not be extra. They also did note that it's the same variety of food in both places. I don't know if this is try but if anybody has experience then please confirm. If this is true then having breakfast at the club is a lot better.

On our last day, we are leaving early for an 8:30 flight out. Does anybody know if they offer some sort of accomodation for early departures?

Originally Posted by johhenrik
I have no advise om the upgrade, but come to think of it, I believe you were allowed to eat breakfast in the regular restaurant if you have club access. I might be mistaken, because I didn't opt for that, since the club lounge was not crowded at all and I prefer peace and quiet. Give them a call and ask. Because if I remember right, then it is a no brainer for you.

Last edited by travellingpinoy; Jun 30, 2015 at 1:12 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.