Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crowne Plaza Barcelona Fira Center Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2015, 1:33 pm

Bad areas around CP?

We are booked here for 2 nights before our cruise. I am very excited. Someone on cruise critic mentioned that the Poble Sec area is still rough. The poster said it is much better now but that there can be sketchy areas late at night...
"While the hotels in the zone are very nice, you need to be aware that many of these hotels are just one block off a main avenue. Certain criminal elements sometimes take advantage of the opportunity that these type of hotels present. You just need to be very aware the last block toward the hotel or take a taxi if returning to the hotel late at night. "
Any thoughts on any areas to stay out of?
Old Dec 8, 2015, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kuhnto
We are booked here for 2 nights before our cruise. I am very excited. Someone on cruise critic mentioned that the Poble Sec area is still rough. The poster said it is much better now but that there can be sketchy areas late at night...
"While the hotels in the zone are very nice, you need to be aware that many of these hotels are just one block off a main avenue. Certain criminal elements sometimes take advantage of the opportunity that these type of hotels present. You just need to be very aware the last block toward the hotel or take a taxi if returning to the hotel late at night. "
Any thoughts on any areas to stay out of?
The area around the CP is as safe an area as any in Barcelona.

Some people might feel a bit more intimidated by the parts of Poble Sec much closer to the waterfront, around the Bagdad sex club / Paral-lel metro station. This is a good 20-minute walk from the hotel.

Barcelona is a big city. Simple common sense rules apply. If you don't like the looks of anywhere, don't walk through there. Watch your belongings. Take a taxi to the hotel front door. In fact, given that the location of this hotel is not really walking distance to many areas, most people probably will be taking the metro to Plaza Espanya / Poble Sec or a taxi to the hotel anyhow.

In Barcelona you need to be aware - the pick-pocketing capital of Europe - but otherwise it's a very safe and well-policed city - no reason to be concerned.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 1:25 am

Programs: IHG/Spire Amb., Hilton/Diamond, SPG/Gold, Marriott/Gold, AA/Plat, Southwest/CP
Recent data point on club access

Staying in CP Barcelona FC through NYE and received a pretty nice upgrade to a junior suite. Access costs for Club Lounge are still 20 Euro per person as Spire Elite, same as has been reported for Platinum. I asked about the cost for non-members and she said 25. Considering adding it later, maybe for the back half of our stay once we have explored a bit.

Last edited by LaphroaigAndRibeye; Dec 29, 2015 at 2:21 am
Old Dec 29, 2015, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Steven6702
Staying in CP Barcelona FC through NYE and received a pretty nice upgrade to a junior suite. Access costs for Club Lounge are still 20 Euro per person as Spire Elite, same as has been reported for Platinum. I asked about the cost for non-members and she said 25. Considering adding it later, maybe for the back half of our stay once we have explored a bit.
That's strange because I had it for free for all my stays.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 9:19 am

Programs: IHG/Spire Amb., Hilton/Diamond, SPG/Gold, Marriott/Gold, AA/Plat, Southwest/CP
Originally Posted by nicolas75
That's strange because I had it for free for all my stays.
Weird... Just as Spire, or SA? They were adamant about the fee despite recognizing the status and providing the sick upgrade. When were your stays? Maybe it has to do with us being here over the new year...though it does sound like the norm for many people.

EDIT: Looking from non-mobile now, looks like you're Spire RA... maybe they look at that differently for club purposes. But I do wonder with the crowd in there tonight how many actually are paying for it.

Last edited by LaphroaigAndRibeye; Dec 29, 2015 at 1:14 pm
Old Nov 8, 2016, 5:05 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Korean Air Morning Calm Premium Club
I am planning a last minute holiday in BCN during xmas.
Anybody stayed here recently? Did anybody without RA status received lounge access here? Plan to book King room with sofa bed.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 7:19 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Spire RA
Originally Posted by Expat2001
I am planning a last minute holiday in BCN during xmas.
Anybody stayed here recently? Did anybody without RA status received lounge access here? Plan to book King room with sofa bed.
even with RA status I've never received lounge access. However in Barcelona they are plenty of good restaurants, which provide definitely a better local experience
Old Apr 3, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
As a lowly Platinum, what can one expect in terms of lounge, breakfast, upgrade?
Old Apr 4, 2018, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by asnovici
As a lowly Platinum, what can one expect in terms of lounge, breakfast, upgrade?
Expect none of those three. You will get a few bonus points or a welcome drink.

That said, my OH does claim that she received a suite upgrade (no lounge or BF though) as a Gold a couple of years ago, so YMMV.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: UA Platinum; IHG Diamond Ambassador
As a Platinum, I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect an upgrade at a Crowne Plaza. It may not be a suite, but an upgrade nevertheless. Have a great time & report back.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by ARR72
As a Platinum, I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect an upgrade at a Crowne Plaza. It may not be a suite, but an upgrade nevertheless. Have a great time & report back.
Thanks. Good to know not to expect breakfast or lounge.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ARR72
Definitely NOT my experience at this hotel and some other CPs I've been to... But I'm sure somebody will claim that a higher floor or similarly pointless difference constitutes an "upgrade".
Old Apr 5, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: UA Platinum; IHG Diamond Ambassador
That's fair to speak of your own experience at this specific hotel. I have not stayed at this particular Crowne Plaza, but I'm going by my experience at various European CP's (Milan, Lyon, Paris Republique, Brussels). I've never not received an upgrade, some better than others (a suite @ Republique) and once did receive free club access @ Lyon. I actually do have a stay booked at this hotel in early August, my first stay here (I've only stayed at the Indigo in Barcelona before, and yes, I also received a room upgrade), so I'll experience for myself.
Old May 30, 2018, 10:15 am

-----

Last edited by mster; Apr 25, 2019 at 8:41 am
Old Jun 15, 2018, 11:55 am

Stayed in September on points, Wisked up to the lounge for check in. very large room not sure if it was a club room but given lounge access, breakfast, canapes and drinks available all day long

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.