Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Intercontinental in Tokyo?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2016, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by demue
IC ANA offers larger rooms and the airport limousine bus stops at the hotel which is also convenient. Location is in the midst of a livelier area (Roppongi) and access to trains is a bit of a walk, but nothing bad or very far.
IC ANA limousine from NRT airport is indeed very convenient.

You can't be any more centrally located than at the ANA IC (Akasaka with its museums, galleries and clubs, and Roppongi, are areas where Tokyo goes out at night).

The hotel is very conveniently located just next the subway Exit 13 at Tameike-sanno Station.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 9:43 am

IHG Gold here. Stayed at IC String last night with points. It was very full this weekend in Tokyo, and very lucky for me to grab this last minute point room. (All Hyatt fully booked, same case for Hilton, Marriott Shinagawa was available but the rate was, well, extraordinary)

Arrived late at 11pm something. No expectation actually. They put me in probably the smallest room at the end of a very long corridor. They bell boy helped carrying my luggage dropped my bags immediately after getting out of the elevator and slipped away. Very interesting indeed, and not up to Japanese standard. As suggested by others, the view is not inspiring at all.

Clean, cozy and well served the purpose if you want somewhere just for sleep. Nothing else.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 11:53 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Yes, I think they got 11 or so of these very small rooms and I have managed to avoid them so far as a more regular guest.

They like to assign those for points redemptions and if there are 2 people one should request and argue for a Double bed room (as per IHG Rewards T&CS). If alone and you can cope only needing a well located place to sleep and refresh then, this room does the job though.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 3:48 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by demue
Yes, I think they got 11 or so of these very small rooms and I have managed to avoid them so far as a more regular guest.

They like to assign those for points redemptions and if there are 2 people one should request and argue for a Double bed room (as per IHG Rewards T&CS). If alone and you can cope only needing a well located place to sleep and refresh then, this room does the job though.
Interesting thought. I think I'd argue for a 50% point refund based on the fact that only a single room was assigned contrary to the T&Cs even if I had stayed there alone. Having spent many nights in tiny business hotel rooms in Japan over the years I've come to dislike tiny rooms and expect more when staying at an expensive IC.

HTB.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 5:52 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by htb
Interesting thought. I think I'd argue for a 50% point refund based on the fact that only a single room was assigned contrary to the T&Cs even if I had stayed there alone. Having spent many nights in tiny business hotel rooms in Japan over the years I've come to dislike tiny rooms and expect more when staying at an expensive IC.

HTB.
I hear you and agree. I was there a few weeks ago on a rare points stay and given you can only redeem the "Single" room I immediately told them that as per IHG Rewards T&Cs I'll be expecting a Double room at a minimum which is what I got preassigned within hours of emailing them.

Not everyone is that keen to make stand though, so if alone and if a smallish room isn't an issue for someone, they may decide not o fight it.

For what it is worth, even the double room isn't huge, but you know, it's Japan after all.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 3:09 am

Programs: IHG Royal Ambassador
If you are RA, book ANA. If not, book the Strings or Tokyo Bay.
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I had a recent stay at ANA as RA. I booked an entry level room and was upgraded to corner suite with club. ^
Old Dec 30, 2016, 10:08 pm

Programs: Qatar Plat, EK Gold
ANA is a much better option than Tokyo Bay IMO

ANA is in a more international area and TB is much more local in most regards

no stats at Strings yet
Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:51 pm

Stayed at The Strings last week on points as a Plat Amb. The location is very convenient, just a few minutes walk from the JR Shinagawa station. The bullet train stops at Shinagawa, so it was an easy arrival from Nagoya.

In Japan, I think it's more important to be near transportation than being in an "active" area. I'm going to be out exploring more than staying at my home base, so this was a good location that was centrally located within Tokyo. Tokyo station and Shinjuku are only a few minutes away by train. Tokyo Bay is a 12 minute walk to the JR station. ANA is 8-12 minute walk to get to a subway station which usually requires transferring to other lines. The Strings is a 5 minute walk and the JR loop line took us to where we wanted to go without any transfers. At the end of a long day, that extra few minutes of walking back to the hotel make a big difference.

As for places to eat, there's the famous Kura (or Kula) conveyor belt sushi place a few minutes away. Each plate is 100 yen and very tasty. There's also the Shinatatsu ramen street nearby. It's supposed to be similar to the Tokyo station ramen street.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by madix
ANA is 8-12 minute walk to get to a subway station which usually requires transferring to other lines. The Strings is a 5 minute walk and the JR loop line took us to where we wanted to go without any transfers.
I always found location of ANA very convenient.
And ANA has a GREAT club lounge, which definitely makes the difference if you have club access!
Old Jan 3, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: IHG Royal Ambassador
Indeed, If you are not RA, Strings is not too bad.
But if you are RA, ANA is only choice!
Old Jan 9, 2017, 5:10 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, QRPC Gold
IC Spire here and I booked a stay in early March using points + cash at ANA.

We will be a group of 3 adults (did the booking for 3 adults) and I e-mailed the hotel asking about the charge for an extra bed. They responded saying that they can add a bed provided its a twin room type ("Classic" or "Executive Deluxe"). The booking shows the room as "Two single beds classic" so it should be eligible I guess.

Is there any way to ensure that I will get the extra bed on arrival or do I just request it upon check-in?

Ro
Old Jan 9, 2017, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by madix
Stayed at The Strings last week on points as a Plat Amb. The location is very convenient, just a few minutes walk from the JR Shinagawa station. The bullet train stops at Shinagawa, so it was an easy arrival from Nagoya.

In Japan, I think it's more important to be near transportation than being in an "active" area. I'm going to be out exploring more than staying at my home base, so this was a good location that was centrally located within Tokyo. Tokyo station and Shinjuku are only a few minutes away by train. Tokyo Bay is a 12 minute walk to the JR station. ANA is 8-12 minute walk to get to a subway station which usually requires transferring to other lines. The Strings is a 5 minute walk and the JR loop line took us to where we wanted to go without any transfers. At the end of a long day, that extra few minutes of walking back to the hotel make a big difference.

As for places to eat, there's the famous Kura (or Kula) conveyor belt sushi place a few minutes away. Each plate is 100 yen and very tasty. There's also the Shinatatsu ramen street nearby. It's supposed to be similar to the Tokyo station ramen street.
The ramen "alley" is behind Shinagawa station after you pass the Keikyu line entrance and walk a few hundred meters Very good.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:42 pm

Since when String only have "1 person room award"? No award for two guests at all...
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by woresu
Since when String only have "1 person room award"? No award for two guests at all...
this seems like a mistake no?
best mail the hotel or ihg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.