Wiki Posts
Search

Which Intercontinental in Tokyo?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2012, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Which Intercontinental in Tokyo?

Hi everyone,

I'm going to spend Christmas to New Years in Tokyo. I have a vast amount of Priority Club points, plus Ambassador status.

There are three Intercontinentals in Tokyo: Intercontinental ANA, Intercontinental Tokyo Bay, and Intercontinental ANA: The Strings Tokyo.

I have no idea what is what! I'm going there for fun, going out, seeing tourist things, and generally trying to have a good week in Tokyo. I'm a single guy and will probably have some dates there (seriously looking for someone who is a good match for me, not casual dating).

Any recommendations?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 5:42 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving this thread to the FT Intercontinental Forum.
Obscure2k
Luxury Hotels
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:07 pm

Programs: DL GM and so on
If reward nights are critical to you, there's only one option left: the ANA IC Tokyo. But IMHO, 50K points per night is overkill for IC hotels in Tokyo.

Since it's Japan we're talking about, you really shouldn't expect any status recognition for your reward bookings.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 8:46 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, AS Gold 75k, IHG Aspire, Marriott Titanium , National Exec Elite, Amex Plat
Is the ANA IC Tokyo the best bet regardless of reward nights? Looking for 4 nights in October after the GP. I have Tokyo bay booked but it looks like strings / ANA might be a better option?
Old Apr 14, 2013, 10:43 am

Programs: SPG PLT
I like ANA. They always treat me well and location is good.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 7:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards, Star Alliance, PC Plat Amb, Delta
ANA Tokyo is my favorite place to celebrate at. We were there 2 New Year eves ago.
The Club Lounge staff is in my top 3 best service lounges.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 11:12 pm

Programs: IC RA, AA EXP
I've stayed at Strings 5-6 times last year and ANA 2-3 times. They're both fantastic hotels. ANA is a MUCH larger property, but is on a smaller subway line. Strings is a newer property but right on the Yamanote line.

Depending on what you're looking for in Tokyo, they both have pro's and con's.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 5:03 am

Programs: IHG
I am planning ahead for a new year trip to Tokyo.

Does anyone know if the firework display can be viewed from the Strings?

The Bay is sold out so I assume that is the best location to watch the display.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 5:37 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
The location of the Strings is best -- easy access to the Shinkansen, the Narita Express, a couple of local trains and a subway line.

Easy to get to Yokohama and Kamakura too.

HTB.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 1:11 pm

Is the Strings having Club Lounge too?
Old Apr 27, 2013, 10:33 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Intercontinental Tokyo Bay

I've stayed there a couple of times. Last booking was a non-refundable rate within two weeks after the earthquake. IHG was kind enough to let me move the reservation to September.

As is typical for Japan properties, no recognition for IHG plat status. Tokyo Bay is more like a decent CP. It's only advantage is walking distance proximity to the end of the Haneda airport monorail line and a station on the JR circle line.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by blueeagle3
Is the Strings having Club Lounge too?
Strings has never had a club lounge.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Strings has never had a club lounge.
Thank you for the help! So should I still stay at the Strings in July? Or another IC Property?

(Just for clearification: Will be RA, or at least A, at this time)
Old Apr 28, 2013, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Thank you for the help! So should I still stay at the Strings in July? Or another IC Property?

I would avoid Strings altogether unless you need to be near Shinagawa. I would stay at Tokyo Bay for a more quiet but better RA/Amb experience. ANA IC is ok, they give good upgrades but gone are the days of club access.
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards

Depends what are your preferences. The Strings has the best transportation connections, but Shinagawa area is not something I'm excited about. The ANA is in Roppongi, so much more action. The Tokyo Bay is a bit "off", 2-3 stops on the Yurikame train just to get to Shinbashi and the Yamanote line. OTOH it's usually at least 10k yen cheaper per night than either of the other two.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.