Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Intercontinental in Tokyo?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2013, 6:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist,
Originally Posted by mnredfox
I would avoid Strings altogether unless you need to be near Shinagawa.
Absolutely agree.
Old May 2, 2013, 9:06 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Depends what are your preferences. The Strings has the best transportation connections, but Shinagawa area is not something I'm excited about. The ANA is in Roppongi, so much more action. The Tokyo Bay is a bit "off", 2-3 stops on the Yurikame train just to get to Shinbashi and the Yamanote line. OTOH it's usually at least 10k yen cheaper per night than either of the other two.
That's about my experience. Being a 5min walk to Shinagawa was awesome, yet staying on a weekend meant there was nothing to do, within walking distance to the hotel. If I were to do it again, I'd stay some place more "touristy".
Old May 2, 2013, 12:46 pm

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, Flying Blue Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sbagdon
That's about my experience. Being a 5min walk to Shinagawa was awesome, yet staying on a weekend meant there was nothing to do, within walking distance to the hotel. If I were to do it again, I'd stay some place more "touristy".
I also agree on this. Although the String is a nice hotel, the area is quite boring, also in weekdays.

Xxx.
Old May 8, 2013, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mnredfox
I would avoid Strings altogether unless you need to be near Shinagawa. I would stay at Tokyo Bay for a more quiet but better RA/Amb experience. ANA IC is ok, they give good upgrades but gone are the days of club access.
I've stayed several times at Tokyo Bay and I really like it. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but I enjoy the view of the Bay (I've been fortunate to have always gotten a room on the bay side).

Access is fairly decent: a few blocks walk to the Hammamasuthco (sp?) station which is on the Yamanote line as well as the Tokyo Monorail from Haneda. Across the street from Hamamasutcho is Daimon station, on one of the Tokyo subway lines. There's also the closer station for the Yurikamome monoral that can get you to Odaiba.

I find it quiet but close enough to "activity" to enjoy the balance. Having once stayed in Shinjuku, I'm not a fan of having that outside my front door.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 10:12 am

Hi guys,
I will be in traveling to Japan for a week for the first time.
Originally it was supposed to be a solo trip so I booked GH Tokyo reward nights.
Now my parents decided to join, so I'm deciding between IC hotels.

We will do fairly touristy stuff, so which location would be the best?
Is there Plat Amb recognition at ANA Tokyo?
Old Nov 11, 2013, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...trings-ic.html
Old Nov 11, 2013, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...kyo-bay-8.html
Old Nov 11, 2013, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...ad-merged.html
Old Nov 11, 2013, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...tal-tokyo.html
Old Nov 11, 2013, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...umbs-up-3.html
Old Nov 11, 2013, 3:50 pm

Programs: BA GGL, NH SFC, IHG Diamond, Radisson VIP, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BigRedBears
Hi guys,
I will be in traveling to Japan for a week for the first time.
Originally it was supposed to be a solo trip so I booked GH Tokyo reward nights.
Now my parents decided to join, so I'm deciding between IC hotels.

We will do fairly touristy stuff, so which location would be the best?
Is there Plat Amb recognition at ANA Tokyo?
If sightseeing is your main purpose of the trip, I might recommend the IC Yokohama or the IC Tokyo Bay. There are many touristy spots around.

The ANA Tokyo is located in a more business district. There is nothing around the Strings.

I am not sure about other hotel chain programmes, but those ICs' status recognition is pretty poor. Local small hotels might treat you better.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 8:22 pm

Programs: IHG (Spire), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott (Lifetime Gold); Hyatt (Globalist)
Hello - I've searched and read every thread I can find on the Tokyo Intercontinental options and I am still not sure which is best for my purposes (Tokyo Bay; ANA; The Strings). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My situation:

IHG Plat (no RA) so I am not expecting any special treatment. I will be staying 2 nights (Th/Fr) the first week of December with my dad using points or points + free night cert. I see TB at 35k; ANA at 45k; Strings at 50k - I can do any of them.

We have 3 full days and 2 nights to do touristy things. He has been to Japan 3 times, but this is my first and he is up for whatever I want to see. I just want to pick the best IC for location/ease of transport around the hotel (Arrive NRT depart HND)... I know it is vague, but we haven't really decided what we will be doing for sure, just seeing the sights, enjoying some food, etc... Neither of us care about the hotel dining or concierge or color scheme etc - we are easy going and like to find local spots while wandering around. I always have tons of hotel points in various programs, but for multiple reasons I really just want to use IHG points/cert in Tokyo, so other chains are not on the table this time.

Thanks for any advice.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:17 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by skeeze666
We have 3 full days and 2 nights to do touristy things. He has been to Japan 3 times, but this is my first and he is up for whatever I want to see. I just want to pick the best IC for location/ease of transport around the hotel (Arrive NRT depart HND)... I know it is vague, but we haven't really decided what we will be doing for sure...
Strings. It's on the Yamanote circle line (gets you close to almost everywhere in Tokyo) with direct (no change required) train access to NRT (Narita Express) and HND (Keikyu Line).

HTB.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 6:25 am

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
I've been staying regularly at all 3.

For a while I was preferring the Strings, since it's the most convenient to transportation, and is the highest-spec hotel. On the other hand, I'm down on it because of stingy RA benefits; they have 6 suites so there is usually no inventory, thus your upgrade is virtually indistinguishable from the basic room. And there is no Club.

The ANA has the most rooms and options, and has a Club, though they long ago stopped giving access to all RAs. Transportation is OK, you have a little bit of a walk to a metro but not the most convenient.

Tokyo Bay is now my fave; it is actually cheaper than the others. It is not too far from where you want to be, but is about 5 blocks away from a "happening" area. There is the Yurikamome monorail which connects you straight to Shimbashi station (JR) and Shiodome (Edo Line), and you can walk 7 minutes or take free hotel shuttle bus to Hamamatsucho (JR) or Daimon (Edo Line) subway station. If you're a walker, this one is quite OK. And they have suites and a Club, which depending on your rate you will get upgraded to as an RA.

None are outstanding options, but the price for Tokyo hotels is decent. Though they are often sold out.

Bottom line - figure out where you need to be on business and use location as your arbiter.
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vsevolod4
I've been staying regularly at all 3.

The ANA has the most rooms and options, and has a Club, though they long ago stopped giving access to all RAs. Transportation is OK, you have a little bit of a walk to a metro but not the most convenient.
ANA is clearly my favourite for location and superb club lounge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.