Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Intercontinental in Tokyo?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Glob, MR Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
What treatment can I expect at IC ANA as an Ambassador (upgrade chances, etc) if I book using Chase free night cert? Stayed at IC Strings before and wanted to try a more central option.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: LH Sen, IC Spire Ambassador, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Hi,

I am planning my first visit to Japan in Oct or Nov. Will stay around one week in Tokyo. Any suggestions which IHG property is the best when staying on points? Am Spire Ambassador, will be traveling on my own.

So where do you get the best treatment on rewards stays? Or should I look for some non IHG property.

Thanks!

Cheers
Marc
Old Aug 27, 2019, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by andreiz
What treatment can I expect at IC ANA as an Ambassador (upgrade chances, etc) if I book using Chase free night cert? Stayed at IC Strings before and wanted to try a more central option.
You cannot use the free night certificate at any of the three Tokyo ICs any longer. Use is limited to a maximum 40000 point property and the ICs run at 55000.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by mcdos
Hi,

I am planning my first visit to Japan in Oct or Nov. Will stay around one week in Tokyo. Any suggestions which IHG property is the best when staying on points? Am Spire Ambassador, will be traveling on my own.

So where do you get the best treatment on rewards stays? Or should I look for some non IHG property.

Thanks!

Cheers
Marc
There is no special treatment on award stays at any of the three Tokyo ICs. At least I have never experienced any regardless of award or paid stays. We are paid Ambassadors but now spend our stays at the Hyatt which gives great service and/or the Hilton where we are treated well and receive free breakfast for two.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Glob, MR Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
I have a grandfathered one that's still valid.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
There is no special treatment on award stays at any of the three Tokyo ICs. At least I have never experienced any regardless of award or paid stays. We are paid Ambassadors but now spend our stays at the Hyatt which gives great service and/or the Hilton where we are treated well and receive free breakfast for two.
Agreed, you can expect to be receive the benefits strictly as per the T&Cs of the IHG Rewards Club & Ambassador scheme.
Old May 1, 2022, 9:57 am

Programs: BAEC, Flying Club, HHonors, Gold Passport, IHG Rewards, Le Club Accor, Club Carlson
Could anyone provide some recent insight as to which of these hotels have the best product in terms of rooms, lounge and service?

Secondly, which hotel is best to explore Tokyo and the surrounding areas in regard to transport?

TIA for any information provided.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 9:07 am

Programs: Avios
With Japan hopefully opening up this week, are there any fresh insights for a first time Japan visitor?? Does the new Kimpton Shinjuku merit a stay?? The hotels are all priced around 100k Points with 4th night free or a 4 night stay. All are quite cheap.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 1:07 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, IHG Ambassador
I recently returned from a paid stay at the ANA IC Tokyo in Akasaka. Depending on where you want to go in Tokyo, it is probably more centrally located, the Tameike Sanno subway station entrance is less than a block away, and it is closer to HND Airport.
hclee01 and Tilto007 like this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by auandagbug
I recently returned from a paid stay at the ANA IC Tokyo in Akasaka. Depending on where you want to go in Tokyo, it is probably more centrally located, the Tameike Sanno subway station entrance is less than a block away, and it is closer to HND Airport.
Haven’t been to Tokyo since Covid (and can’t wait to return in a month!) but IC Tokyo is probably the furthest to HND both by car and by public transit. By public transit it takes 30 mins from The Strings, 40 mins from Tokyo Bay, and 50 mins from IC Tokyo (which also includes a transfer).
hclee01 likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 9:54 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, IHG Ambassador
Yes, The Strings in Shinagawa is closer to HND. The IC Tokyo is 20.3 km from HND Terminal 3 and by car it can be reached by car from HND in as little as 24 minutes during the day at non-rush hour periods. On my recent trip, I took the Keikyu Line/Asakusa Line from HND to Shimbashi Station and a cab the rest of the way to Akasaka. Travel from HND to the IC Tokyo took probably the same time or less than the 40 minutes from Tokyo Bay. For my business travel needs, I find the Akasaka location of the IC Tokyo much more convenient and centrally located, and a 10-20 minute difference in one way ground travel compared to the other IC locations in Tokyo isn't that significant. Of course, if your business is in the Shinagawa area, than The Strings does sound like a good choice.

FWIW, if you're including the convenient pre-pandemic Airport Limousine Bus as public transit, they have suspended service until further notice between both HND and NRT to the Tokyo IC hotels. Now that Japan is expected to open up on October 11th, maybe this convenient bus service will be restored to one or more of the Tokyo IC locations from HND and/or NRT.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 3:46 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Hi all, anyone can recommend a good value IC in Tokyo. I have no idea what the difference is between hotels apart from location so any advice will be great. The Yokohama Grand is the cheapest so maybe that's the worst?
  • InterContinental Yokohama Grand - £2,853 (Premium Room, 1 King Bed, Business Lounge Access, City View (High Floor))
  • ​​​​​​InterContinental ANA Tokyo - £3,250 (Premium Room, 1 King Bed, Business Lounge Access (High Floor))
  • Intercontinental Yokohama Pier 8 - £3,937 (Classic Room, 1 King Bed, Business Lounge Access )
  • InterContinental Tokyo Bay - £3,905 (Classic Room, 1 King Bed, Business Lounge Access, River View)
  • The Strings by InterContinental Tokyo - £4,767 (Premium Room, 1 King Bed, Business Lounge Access)
Old Jan 12, 2024, 7:42 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GodAtum
Hi all, anyone can recommend a good value IC in Tokyo. I have no idea what the difference is between hotels apart from location so any advice will be great. The Yokohama Grand is the cheapest so maybe that's the worst?
  • InterContinental Yokohama Grand - £2,853 (Premium Room, 1 King Bed, Business Lounge Access, City View (High Floor))
  • ​​​​​​InterContinental ANA Tokyo - £3,250 (Premium Room, 1 King Bed, Business Lounge Access (High Floor))
  • Intercontinental Yokohama Pier 8 - £3,937 (Classic Room, 1 King Bed, Business Lounge Access )
  • InterContinental Tokyo Bay - £3,905 (Classic Room, 1 King Bed, Business Lounge Access, River View)
  • The Strings by InterContinental Tokyo - £4,767 (Premium Room, 1 King Bed, Business Lounge Access)
Yokohoma and Pier 8 are outside Tokyo. Best used to see Yokohoma and Kamakura/Enoshima. You could do the daily ride into the city as many locals do but it’s an hour each way.

ANA will upgrade you to their speciality junior suite from the room you mentioned if you have ambassador. Lounge is great

Ic Bay told me I’d receive a high floor room if I brooked premium so you’d most likely only receive a classic high floor
Old Jan 12, 2024, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Cthunder86
Yokohoma and Pier 8 are outside Tokyo. Best used to see Yokohoma and Kamakura/Enoshima. You could do the daily ride into the city as many locals do but it’s an hour each way.
I also like using IC Yokohama Grand as a “transit” hotel for HND. The rates are usually very competitive, there are many shopping options nearby, and the limousine bus stops right at the hotel.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 8:58 pm
formerly rt23456p

If using CSU, which offers the best experience?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.