Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Intercontinental in Tokyo?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2017, 6:02 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
First-timer in Tokyo, where would you recommend us to stay with the following "constraints"

1) Want to use IHG points for flexibility (in case our plans change) and cost reason
2) Staying for Cherry blossom with my wife, 2 people that is
3) First time in Tokyo = don't know what to do yet, but staying out much and less inside hotel. Staying 2-3 days only.
4) Easy to commute as we spend time outside, no car, public transport preferably (top up with Uber maybe)
5) Taking JR pass to explore other places in Japan too, i.e coming in to Tokyo by bullet train, and leaving out by bullet train (Kyoto direction)
6) Spire member (non-Amb) if that is of any use
7) Will not adjust too much from Europe time, i.e. will be skipping breakfast and sleep late, stay up late, if that plays any role
Old Nov 19, 2017, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by FFlash
First-timer in Tokyo, where would you recommend us to stay with the following "constraints"

1) Want to use IHG points for flexibility (in case our plans change) and cost reason
3) First time in Tokyo = don't know what to do yet, but staying out much and less inside hotel. Staying 2-3 days only.
4) Easy to commute as we spend time outside, no car, public transport preferably (top up with Uber maybe)
5) Taking JR pass to explore other places in Japan too, i.e coming in to Tokyo by bullet train, and leaving out by bullet train (Kyoto direction)
7) Will not adjust too much from Europe time, i.e. will be skipping breakfast and sleep late, stay up late, if that plays any role
The only IHG property in Tokyo I've stayed at is the Strings, stayed in a Suite, so not sure how the regular rooms are (read they're small, but that's pretty standard in Tokyo). I've also stayed at The Ritz as well as Conrad, and Strings hands down had the best location out of the three. Also, in my personal experience, I enjoyed the service at the Strings more than the other two. Kura Sushi (very cheap sushi belt), ramen alley, 7-11, and a hand full of restaurants and bars are all within walking distance; and at night, right in front of Shinagawa station they setup food tents which is also a fun experience. Being basically connected to Shinagawa station means you'll have access to just about everywhere as well as super easy transport to Haneda. You'll be in a JR hub, so won't need to transfer etc.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 7:57 am

That's what I am reading here upthread, but unfortunately The Strings is the only out of the three that has no rooms available first days of April
How would then ANA or Bay really fit to my referral above? Anyone?
Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:15 am

That's what I am reading here upthread, but unfortunately The Strings is the only out of the three that has no rooms available first days of April
How would then ANA or Bay really fit to my referral above? Anyone?
Strings is a little tricky. Search for single occupancy and you'll most likely see availability, Best way to book is first reserve, then shoot an email to guarantee you won't be given one of those tiny rooms. Search the Strings thread here, much more info on it.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 1:47 pm

Stay at the ANA. Its far more central and theres far more to do within walking distance. The Tokyo Bay is quite remote although arguably better connected if you dont mind a 5 minute walk to Hamamatsucho station.

Plus one of the main cherry blossom streets is right next to the ANA.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by 1010101
Stay at the ANA. Its far more central and theres far more to do within walking distance. The Tokyo Bay is quite remote although arguably better connected if you dont mind a 5 minute walk to Hamamatsucho station.

Thank you, the cherry blossom street information was valuable.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by SQ007
Strings is a little tricky. Search for single occupancy and you'll most likely see availability, Best way to book is first reserve, then shoot an email to guarantee you won't be given one of those tiny rooms. Search the Strings thread here, much more info on it.
Now I see thank you!

Choices, choices now...
Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:04 pm

Now I see thank you!

Choices, choices now...
Seeing you're only staying in Tokyo for a few days (specifically for cherry blossoms), as stated above, ANA might be the better choice since you won't be needing to train all over Tokyo.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 1:34 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by 1010101
Indeed. If viewing cherry blossoms is a major criterion then ANA is a superb choice. On your doorstep are several streets with amazing displays - including one spot where a small bridge crosses over a road and you can walk literally beside the cherry tree canopy. Wonderful photo opportunities! Plus, it's so nearby you can pop out late in the evening when the trees are lit and there are few people around.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:21 pm

Thanks once more. ANA booked now!
SQ007 likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 1:41 pm

Thanks once more. ANA booked now!
I am sure you will not regret it. It's a very nice hotel.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 10:12 am

Hi, a bit late to the party but here goes:
Stayed 72 hours in Tokyo last month. Opted for The ANA due to its central location, which is perfect in the middle of everything but a fairly quiet area at night.

- 35 minute walk to Ginza and Tsukiji Market
- 20 minutes to the Park which hosts the Imperial Palace
- 10 minutes to Roppongi (gets seedy at night... not my cup of tea)
- You have several Metro hubs within a few minutes from the hotel
- Quick access to Shibuya and Shinjuku

Tokyo is a truly amazing and wonderful city. With your short stop I would select one or two main things to do per day.
Shinjuku and Golden Gai
Shibuya and the Meiji Shingu Shrine
Ginza
Tsukiji Market
Akasaka Palace or Imperial Palace

And eat lots of Food! Everything is good or amazing.
I went for the Teppanyaki on the top floor of the ANA IC. Pricey, but the A5 Wagyu was epic. With a nice glass of red it did set me back some 27K yen, but worth a rare try while in Japan.
You can charge to your room for some added spend. The views are great from the restaurant also.
Decent bar on the top floors also.

On the other end of the spectrum, I ate Ramen in a tiny establishment upstairs in Golden Gai, it was about 1400YEN with a beer, but tasted so good I wet myself thinking of it.

Lounge is very very good by the way.
Enjoy! Already waiting to go back.
Cheetah_SA and FFlash like this.
Old May 28, 2018, 1:12 am

I'm staying in Tokyo for 8 nights with my wife and baby (who will be 6 mo old) in late Aug-early Sept this year. Because of the baby, location and access to transportation will be a priority. I would like to stay at IC ANA but I have a question regarding proximity to the Tameike-Sanno station. On Google Maps, it looks like the entrance to the station is just a couple blocks away, but the actual station seems like quite a long walk. When I choose a route from Google Maps, it says just a 2 minute walk. Is this right? If someone can clarify this, that would be great.
Old May 28, 2018, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I'm staying in Tokyo for 8 nights with my wife and baby (who will be 6 mo old) in late Aug-early Sept this year. Because of the baby, location and access to transportation will be a priority. I would like to stay at IC ANA but I have a question regarding proximity to the Tameike-Sanno station. On Google Maps, it looks like the entrance to the station is just a couple blocks away, but the actual station seems like quite a long walk. When I choose a route from Google Maps, it says just a 2 minute walk. Is this right? If someone can clarify this, that would be great.
Hi,

Looking at Bing Maps ( if you enlarge the map you should be able to see the exit/entrance numbers, the entrance to Tameike-Sanno station ( exit 13) is only a minute away but then you have a longish walk in the underground passage way to the actual platform ( can be common in many stations with multiple exits).
There is also Roppongi-itchome station whose exit 3 is also a minute walk from the hotel but looks like a shorter walk to the platform.

The access webpage for the hotel ;
Access | ANA InterContinental Tokyo - The Best Hotel in Tokyo

Also lists the
  • Hibiya line (Kamiyacho Station Exit 4) [8-minute walk]
  • Chiyoda Line (Akasaka station Exit 5) [9-minute walk]
close by.

I have not been in the immediate area ( been to Roppongi for the Mori tower) but a lot of stations can have relatively long distances from the entrances to the platforms.

Are there any other hotels you are considering?

Regards

TBS
Old May 28, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
ANA Intercontinental Hotel is situated (almost) in the middle of 2 stations - Roppongi-itchome and Tameike-Sanno station. Generally, you should be using Tameike-Sanno station more often as the Ginza line links up with major areas such as Ueno, Asakusa, Ginza, Shibuya and easy transfer to Shinjuku areas.

From the hotel, it is about 1 minute walk to Exit 13 of the station. From there, it is around 400- 500m (based on my memory) walk to the Ginza line. Unfortunately, Exit 13 has only one escalator, which is upward travelling. So if you are descending into the walkway from floor area, you will have to climb down. Alternatively, you can head straight to Asakasa Intercity (which is another minute walk away) where there is a lift to the underground walkway to the train station.The underground walkway to the train station is barrier free and you should be able to push the tram to the platform area.

Let me know if you need more information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.