Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2012, 12:34 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BMI, Hyatt, SPG, PC
What a crock this guarantee is.

I booked a double room with breakfast that is refundable. I found the same room on a third party website for cheaper.

When I call to make my claim, the agent states the only way I can make a claim is to book the non-refundable rate with IHG, since it is lower than the refundable rate I booked. I went through their terms and conditions (i.e. term 5), but they denied my claim and the language of the terms.

Very unimpressed and upset.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by erasmus99
What a crock this guarantee is.

I booked a double room with breakfast that is refundable. I found the same room on a third party website for cheaper.

When I call to make my claim, the agent states the only way I can make a claim is to book the non-refundable rate with IHG, since it is lower than the refundable rate I booked. I went through their terms and conditions (i.e. term 5), but they denied my claim and the language of the terms.

Very unimpressed and upset.
If this is the only problem, once you get them on the phone, offer to change to the non-refundable rate while they wait on the line. If that's still higher than the other website, you're fine.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 11:12 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
This BRG thing is handled very poorly. First they denied my claim based on the extra person charge in europe. Then IHG care told me that that was not the case but it was denied due me not booking the non refundable rate. I then booked the non refundable rate and now we are back to the extra person charge argument. Can you believe this?

I feel jerked around quit a bit. Very unfortunate that ihg does this. Has anybody sued IHG over this? This is consumer abuse at its best

Last edited by Deltahater; Jan 9, 2012 at 3:03 pm
Old Jan 9, 2012, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Deltahater
This BRG thing is handled very poorly. First they denied my claim based on the extra person charge in europe. Then IHG care told me that that was not the case but it was denied due me not booking the non refundable rate. I then booked the non refundable rate and now we are back to the extra person charge argument. Can you believe this?

I feel jerked around quit a bit. Very unfortunate that ihg does this. Has anybody sued IHG over this? This is consumer abuse at its best
To be honest, I don't see how this could have been handled perfectly from the beginning, given the number of properties and issues between owners/franchise etc. I applaud IHG for trying, and while they screwed up in many cases, overall it seems like they have done a good job with this (before determining it might not have been the best idea in the first place).
Old Jan 9, 2012, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
I see what you are saying and this is where an experienced marketing manager would have/ could have/ should have foreseen that some issues wiill arise and they should have developed an exit plan.

In my particular case, the room rate is 626 Euros. The cost for that room including clean up is closer to $50 per night. So, if you will, the hotel has an actual damage of $50 due to the corporate marketing campaign screw-up. It is highly unlikely that that room would have rented anyway. It is the penthouse suite at that particular property and it is available for the next 10 days (I just checked out of curiosity), so it is not in high demand.

If corporate had just put some dollars aside to compensate each property for their mistakes, it would have cost them less than an ad in travel & leisure and it would have created tons of consumer goodwill. Now, it just creates resentment and frustration on all parties (IHG, customers, hotel owners). Seems like a very bad recipe....

Last edited by Deltahater; Jan 9, 2012 at 4:42 pm
Old Jan 10, 2012, 8:07 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I thought that I would post my positive BRG experience at a USA IC hotel. Maybe it will help others.

I booked a Best flex (refundable) rate online at ichotelsgroup.com. I then found a lower (by > $100) refundable rate at getaroom.com

I called the BRG line and after going back and forth, they agreed that the room types were the same. They said they would approve my claim but I had to modify the existing reservation to be non refundable, advance purchase. I was unable to change my reservation online so they changed it for me while we were on the phone. They also gave me a reference number for the BRG claim.

Two days later I received an email confirming that my night is free. My credit card has an authorization but has not been charged.

One part of the letter says
"Please note that due to system limitation, the free night isn’t reflecting. However, the hotel has already confirmed that your stay will be a free night. "

I noticed that the lower rate is no longer available at getaroom.com
Old Jan 10, 2012, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by martyYYZ
I thought that I would post my positive BRG experience at a USA IC hotel. Maybe it will help others.

I booked a Best flex (refundable) rate online at ichotelsgroup.com. I then found a lower (by > $100) refundable rate at getaroom.com

I called the BRG line and after going back and forth, they agreed that the room types were the same. They said they would approve my claim but I had to modify the existing reservation to be non refundable, advance purchase. I was unable to change my reservation online so they changed it for me while we were on the phone. They also gave me a reference number for the BRG claim.

Two days later I received an email confirming that my night is free. My credit card has an authorization but has not been charged.

One part of the letter says
"Please note that due to system limitation, the free night isn’t reflecting. However, the hotel has already confirmed that your stay will be a free night. "

I noticed that the lower rate is no longer available at getaroom.com
It is good to hear that occasionally persistence pays off and IHG honors the deal. It is encouraging, although not really necessary. It would be nice if IHG either starts honoring all legitimate claims quickly and makes the consumer feel like a winner, or cancels the program.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 2:38 am

Never had a problem here
Old Jan 11, 2012, 5:18 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
If anyone finds a rate for MEL, please let me know. Have a stay coming up in March. Thanks!
Old Jan 12, 2012, 8:03 am

I think it is pretty well established that once the BRG is filed the lower price is taken down. It is in no ones benefit any more to keep finds secret anymore.

Can we from now on share all finds? Especially ones of high value.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:18 am

Strange guarantee

I had made a booking via Priceline and the price was cheaper thant Holiday Inn Lisbon Continental own website, so I submitted my reservation # and got the following message from customer care.

Per the Terms and Conditions of the program, your reservation needs to be booked with the lowest available price on any IHG website for any IHG branded hotel using the “Best Available Rate Search.” The lowest available rate on IHG for a STANDARD ROOM is under Advance Purchase Rate at EUR 61.00 Average Nightly Rate. Checking the confirmation number you provided on your previous email (Confirmation Number: xxxxxx), we found out that your reservation was originally done through a third party website and not on our website. Because of this, your claim will not qualify for the program.

Moreover to qualify for the Best Price Guarantee Program, please be reminded that the room prices found on the third party website must be quoted, booked, and paid for in the currency of the hotel. In line with this we attempted to verify the available rates on the third party website www.priceline.com as courtesy check, we found out that the rates being advertised on this website is being be quoted, booked, and paid for in US DOLLARS (USD) and not using the hotel’s currency which is EUROS (EURO).

Because the terms of the program were not met, your reservation did not qualify for the guarantee.
I could not understand how it works. The system at Holiday Inn continental allows for immediate change of currency the prices are shown (I always prefer to state in USD for comparison) and it seems I also have to book via the third party website and THEN book again with Holiday Inn to get the discount????
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:40 am

latest twist

Ihg is charging an "extra person charge" for many European properties. This applies to the second adult eg your wife
Now, ihg classifies this charge as a government fee/tax and as such excludes it from its calculations for the brg and has used this repeatedly to deny valid brg claims

Be very careful when you deal with ihg on this brg.

A few tips:
You must book the asr, eg non refundable
I suggest to not book rooms fir two adults to avoid any confusion or potential for ihg to deny the claim
Compare equal room to equal room. If your room has breakfast compare it to a breakfast room
Dont book a room hoping that ihg will honor its promise. If they do Great, but dont count on it
Read and print the t&c and take screen prints as you go so you have evidence

This is really not a game. Ihg has shown that they do not put customers first and this is a ploy to flush out non compliant properties and have us do the dirty work for them. This whole thing is about forcing hotels to comply to internal pricing policies and regulations not about customer satisfaction or loyalty
Too bad
Old Jan 12, 2012, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Shimon
I think it is pretty well established that once the BRG is filed the lower price is taken down. It is in no ones benefit any more to keep finds secret anymore.

Can we from now on share all finds? Especially ones of high value.
No. It will kill deals immediately.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by samwkchan

So does filing a BRG claim. It seems to me that this is what they want....
Old Jan 13, 2012, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by samwkchan
Don't know when was the last time you filed a claim. However, in my last few claims the cheaper price was removed within minutes. It almost seems automated.

Can't kill what is already dead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.