Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2013, 9:54 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by travelkid
If you have booked at priorityclub.com thats not a third party compared to BRG team. BRG t&c are part of your original booking terms.

Otherwise if booked direct by the hotel.

Meaning you would have grounds for dispute.
My experience is that it is the HOTEL that appears on my credit card statment, not IHG. This is borne out by my current BRG, for which I have a charge on my CC that says Intercontiental westminster. IHG pass the booking onto the hotel. The hotel does the cc charge. Often it is 2-3 days before the hotel does the charge.This is the reason you can sometimes game the system, if a BRG claim is denied on an adv purchase, if you act quickly you can cancel the reservation before the hotel has gotten around to processing the card.

In fact I once did an adv purchase, turned up some months later, and the hotel (holiday inn mayfair) had totally forgotten to process the payment charge when the received the booking from the IHG engine. I argued at length that it was an adv pur, but when I checked my cc bill there were correct that they had not charged.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by lfc84
Russell is correct.

you tell the credit card company that you have an email saying you will get the money back. you give said email to credit card company. hey presto. job done. its really very simple.

so long as you are a legitimate brg claimant and not someone who is using the system to book "free" rooms for others and then charging them for the privilege.
They will say, "this email comes from IHG, this is not a legal representative of xxx holiday inn". That's like me buying a box of chocolates from a shop, paying with a cc and having an email from cadbury's saying I will get my money back. If the shop fails to honour the email, its a problem between me and cadbury's, not between me and the shop. Now if the system is being properly implemented for best customer experience, then the shop SHOULD refund.

Perhaps people are not aware that 99% of hotels on the IHG website are not owned by IHG, they are merely paying IHG for advertising and corporate identity. IHG and the hotels on the IHG website are totally and completely separate coporate bodies. As such, I can not see how a financial institution such as a credit card company can enforce one corporate body to honour another coporate body's promise.

And BTW, it is revealing to remember that even IHG seemingly can't force the hotel to pay up, hence why IHG corporate is having to directly refund customers. IHG can't enforce its own promise on the hotel, but you expect the cc company to be able to legally do so based on an IHG email ?

Last edited by tangey; Jan 29, 2013 at 10:09 am
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:20 am

i can only speak from experience tangey

when the transaction is disputed with the card company, the hotel promptly pay up
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:50 am

i can only speak from experience tangey

when the transaction is disputed with the card company, the hotel promptly pay up
Good result for you, and I suppose leveraging the cc company's muscle is always worth while. However the hotel paying up, and the cc deciding there was a valid cause for a chargeback is two different things. One assumes the hotel knew they would have to pay up in the end, either to you directly or back to IHG after IHG refund you, and so eventually went for the lesser of two evils.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by Rusell
So are you saying that if a BRG terms and Conditions state that your room is complimentary, you still have to abide by the hotel policy if the rate is advance purchase and not receive your money back??
I was arguing that your initial contract was with PC, including stated BRG terms. No matter if it is the hotel charging and providing the room. The hotel doesnt get more rights than they get from your contract with PC.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:27 am

Programs: QF, LM, AA,VA Silver, Qatar, Accor Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott B Plat
[QUOTE=lfc84;20146143]Russell is correct.

Thanks IFC84
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
if they are pay at hotel rates, then of course you should not have been charged in advance.

i dont know why a hotel would charge anyone for a valid brg (that was best flex pay at hotel rate).

alternatively at checkout, surely you have got the email from the brg team saying the rate has been amended? if its pay at hotel, you just hand the email over at checkout and your all set.

this doesnt stack up. my guess is there's more to this than posted here
It's one of those 'due to technical issues we are not able to adjust the rate blablabla' thing. They told me to stay, pay and they will refund the $ back to me. I posted several posts at this thread a while ago about all this mess.

They promise to pay me back but they haven't (I gave them my bank account details but instead they sent me 3 USD checks that I can't cash in here in Sweden ).
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: QF, LM, AA,VA Silver, Qatar, Accor Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott B Plat
Originally Posted by tangey
Good result for you, and I suppose leveraging the cc company's muscle is always worth while. However the hotel paying up, and the cc deciding there was a valid cause for a chargeback is two different things. One assumes the hotel knew they would have to pay up in the end, either to you directly or back to IHG after IHG refund you, and so eventually went for the lesser of two evils.
No not really...you only get your cc company involved when you can't get Fair Trading involved.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by travelkid
I was arguing that your initial contract was with PC, including stated BRG terms. No matter if it is the hotel charging and providing the room. The hotel doesnt get more rights than they get from your contract with PC.
The hotel actually gets less rights...the guest gets more rights with the BRG email that is sent.

It's just when the hotel GM then decides to make up their own Terms and Conditions on the refund as they go along, that's when i'm not happy. One hotel decided to say they will refund my deposit on check in and specifically wrote it on the BRG email.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Russell is correct.

you tell the credit card company that you have an email saying you will get the money back. you give said email to credit card company. hey presto. job done. its really very simple.

so long as you are a legitimate brg claimant and not someone who is using the system to book "free" rooms for others and then charging them for the privilege.
Yes and No.

You use your card for booking the hotel stay - and in theory you show your CC company your BRG email and they should be able to go for the charge back. However it's really up to them if they see the BRG thing a contract between you and IHG - they have nothing to do with it or they are obliged to do anything about it.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 4:59 pm

In the UK I have successfully paid a USD cheque into my GBP current account without any fees or deductions. That was for a Hilton BRG claim. But every time a IHG property has charged me, a polite email to the BRG team results in a refund. It has on ly been necessary for GBP transactions though.

Since claims are limited to one every 30 days, and therefore 12 per year, even if i had to lose £2 on a transaction fee, I would deem it worthwhile on balance.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the UK I have successfully paid a USD cheque into my GBP current account without any fees or deductions. That was for a Hilton BRG claim. But every time a IHG property has charged me, a polite email to the BRG team results in a refund. It has on ly been necessary for GBP transactions though.

Since claims are limited to one every 30 days, and therefore 12 per year, even if i had to lose £2 on a transaction fee, I would deem it worthwhile on balance.
I think cashing a foreign currency cheque always incur a fee. I remember my dad received some tax free cheque in French Francs (yes long time ago), and he said that cashing that 150 Francs in a bank means that at the end of the day after all the fees he will get less than 50% of it. That's Hong Kong.

Here in Sweden my bank doesn't accept cheque that is not in either SEK or EUR.

The worst with IHG is that they claim that they put in a 10% margin to cover the fees - nope - we calculated and the amount matched the value of the night in USD (we got some points for those stays so I can see how much it is in USD).

Claims are not limited to once every 30 days - do they put the restriction back on?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 3:07 am

Since claims are limited to one every 30 days, and therefore 12 per year...
You're a bit out of date.

The 30 day limit was drop many many months ago. You can now have a claim every night, with the only limitation being that consecutive nights must be in hotels more than 50 miles apart.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 3:07 am

30 days restriction got removed - my mistake
Old Jan 30, 2013, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
In the UK I have successfully paid a USD cheque into my GBP current account without any fees or deductions.
I can only imagine the exchange rate was pants!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.