Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 23, 2015, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jigri2003
Some info:

Prepaid meal plan rates as of Feb 2015 per post 1305: (breakfast price updated as of Jan 2020)

Breakfast: 4860 xpf (tax incl) per person per day
Half board (breakfast and a 3-courses dinner): 13 053 xpf (tax incl) per person per day
Full board (breakfast, a 2-courses lunch and a 3-courses dinner): 17 632 xpf (tax incl) per person per day.

Breakfast 50% discount: available only at check in time if it is taken for the entire stay. It does not apply for half board and full board. Post 1376

Guaranteed Upgrade Costs as of January 2015 per post 1293

Emerald to Sapphire: 15,000 XPF + 14% taxes per night
Emerald to Diamond: 25,000 XPF + 14% taxes per night
Emerald to Diamond Otemanu: 35,000 XPF + 14% taxes per night
Emerald to Diamond End of Pontoon: 45,000 XPF + 14% taxes per night

Full prepayment prior to arrival required

Direct Boat Transfers to/from Airport One-way: 7334 XPF (updated Dec 2019) (about 15 minutes). Resort will email you to arrange this ahead of time if desired.

Boat transfer from the Airport is not mandatory despite what any hotel emails might imply to the contrary. It's possible to take the free Air Tahiti shuttle to Vaitape (15 minutes), followed by a taxi to the IC Le Moana for 2000XPF (15 minutes), then the IC's shuttle between Le Moana and Thalasso for 3390 XPF per person one way (updated Dec 2019) (15 minutes). If all transfers go smoothly, the journey could be as short as an hour, or longer than two hours if you're unlucky.

Boat Times (as of Oct 2016, and current as of Jan 2020)

Leaving Le Moana:
7:45am
8:45am
11:45am*
12:45pm
1:45pm
4:30pm
5:30pm*
6:30pm
8:30pm
10:00pm

Leaving Thalasso:
8:15am
9:15am*
12:15pm
1:15pm
2:15pm*
5:00pm
6:00pm
7:00pm
9:30pm
10:30pm

* Boat times with a * can connect with the bus shuttle between IC Le Moana and Vaitape town, as shown below:

Bus Shuttles between IC Le Moana and Vaitape town:

Depart IC Le Moana:
9:45am
2:45pm

Depart Vaitape:
11:15am
5:00pm

The bus shuttle costs 1150 XPF RT/person.

Note: There is no ATM at the Thalasso. The closest ATMs are in Vaitape, the main town where the airport ferry stops. However, both IC Le Moana and Thalasso will give you a "cash advance" on your credit card for a fee of 5%. The transaction will post as a purchase.

XPF is also available at the airport in Pappeete from several ATMs.
POST 1795

Resort Email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

IC Thalasso Bora Bora Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2016, 12:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lewende
This is very likely, by my guess, released by somebody who can't go, but it's tooooo late. Traveling to Bora Bora is not like packing your bags and depart the next day. A lot of us need long range planning for such kind of perfect getaways. Unless these dates happen to fall in the duration of your planned trip in Bora Bora, I'd say finding award availability in next 10 days doesn't help at all.
If you need long range planning, then the travel hacking game really isn't for you. To use miles and points to their fullest, you need flexibility to manage around the opportunities that are presented. This game isn't about "Oh I'll take this and that and then that." It's, "Oh this opportunity just came open and looks interesting, shall we?"
Old Nov 2, 2016, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by TMM1982
If you need long range planning, then the travel hacking game really isn't for you. To use miles and points to their fullest, you need flexibility to manage around the opportunities that are presented. This game isn't about "Oh I'll take this and that and then that." It's, "Oh this opportunity just came open and looks interesting, shall we?"
It can certainly be both. Or either.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 9:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dedkends
It can certainly be both. Or either.
It can be both but NOT for all opportunities. This particular hotel doesn't offer both (not anymore at least).
Old Nov 3, 2016, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TMM1982
It can be both but NOT for all opportunities. This particular hotel doesn't offer both (not anymore at least).
I find I use my miles and points in advance bookings and rarely last minute. Never really face any issues. Some places like here you can't so you need to make other arrangements. Its part of the game.

But lewende is right getting last minute reward nights at this hotel is pretty useless unless you have cash nights booked which you can cancel. This is what I will be doing for my next stay.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
This hotel was by far the hardest award I have ever booked and was definitely worth the pain and hassle. With persistence and def a bit (maybe a lot) of luck, I was able to piece together 7-nt (consecutive) award stay in June (5 on pts, 2 with chase ihg free nt). Took literally up to the end of the free cancellation period for me to string together everything. First, you had to book/snipe the award as it opens 50-wk in advance (any later, you are out of luck). For me, someone had sniped two of my 7 days. I was pretty sure whoever took those solo dates would have a high chance in cancelling (who randomly just books 1 nt on a random wkday!) but the big question was WHEN they would cancel. But I also booked the cancellable cash rate as backup. Thus, I literally checked 3x (throughout the day) everyday for those missing dates. I still remember freaking out when checking during work and saw 1 of my 2 missing dates were available and quickly booked it. Then for the last missing nt, the space literally opened up 2 days before the free cancellation period. I am assuming someone finally gave up on it, or Thalasso opened up the space since there was room (prob not the case since resort was full when we went, though I rarely saw other people)
Old Nov 4, 2016, 3:04 am
Suspended

ZZ, thanks for sharing that. Should serve as motivation that if you want something bad enough, you can do it.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 12:54 pm

I have 5 straight nights in thallasso reserved somewhere end of January on points.

Anyone willing to swap? I am looking for later dates

You can pm me
Old Nov 5, 2016, 3:38 am

Le Moana is King and The Four Seasons and St Regis But you cannot afford it.

Originally Posted by UASPG
Well, the good news is that we are now certain that the Conde Nast reader choice awards do not have much value and should be ignored to select a hotel.

The Le Moana is from the previous generation (Le Meridien is the same category, but is on a motu, like the Thalasso) of hotels in Bora and it is obvious when you see the 2 properties.

The Thalasso villas are to be compared to the ones of the Four Seasons and of the St Regis, and probably soon the ones of the Conrad.

This being said, some guests prefer the Le Moana, as it is on the main island and you can just walk to shops, restaurants and the close by beautiful Matira beach.
To leave the Thalasso, you have to take a boat or an helicopter - walk outside the hotel and you will probably meet not so friendly dogs.
The CondeNast List is right on point! Apparently a lot of people on this forum (...) only evaluate hotels based upon if they accept points or not, sorry most of the hotels on the list do not accept points. I only disagree with the ranking of the thalasso as so high up there and with the hilton being ahead of the Sofitel Moorea, the Sofitel is brand new and has now become the four seasons of Moorea ask the locals, the Hilton is old and having been there can tell you first hand as of this month it needs to be renovated and the service is lacking as well as the quality of breakfast.

On to the important stuff, the Thalasso is a LOWER quality and convenience resort than the Le Moana, anyone who says otherwise does not know better.

The Le Moana sells for $750 a night and is 60,000 points for those who collect points and they offer one size room which is a 550 square foot studio bungalow for ALL guests. There is a beachfront bungalow which is the base room with your own private beach and Matira beach across the street from the lobby which has the softest and finest sand with snorkeling fish and rays and 3-4 ft deep water for 1/2 mile out, this is why it was voted the worlds best beach in 2016. The other rooms are all over water, some further out than others, all are in excellent condition and none of the ladders or furniture is decaying like at the thalasso where you have loose ladders and decaying bungalows with roaches and worn out furniture. Anyone who says Le Moana gives you a "basic room" for points is stupid. It is the same 550sq ft bungalow as the end of pontoon and it is beach front with a soft sand private beach and swimable lagoon! In maui you would pay 2,000-3,000 dollars a night for something of the same size and quality and it would not even be 10 ft from the water with private beach chairs awaiting. Why because it would be too close to the ocean and destroyed during high tide, in French Polynesia it is a lagoon no high tides! This is how you know those who are smart and have been there before and those who just look at points vs room cost and dont know any better.

As for the Thalasso the mountain view is not the best, the best view is from the four seasons but they don't accept points so none of the people here would know this, the best view arguably is also at the St Regis but they also do not accept reasonable amounts of points so nobody would know this either. The thalasso is an aging resort with problems with roaches, worn out bungalows, holes in their walkway decks, construction going on which is unsightly and you will hear the cackling of the engine of the crane when it is moving unless you are on the opposite Y pontoon from the construction one and at the end or facing away. The 55 dollar compensation is a joke and only celebrated by those with no money or who are not there to celebrate something special. As for the resort it has lousy features and is unsightly in many areas and fails in comparison with either the four seasons or the st regis. It is a points and redemption resort and they know it, the breakfast buffet is loaded with flies and is a joke compared to the previous two properties mentioned. The food is just ok and any activities require a long boat transfer which few people ever take (was always almost empty or empty). Those in the know stay at the Le moana or the matira beach hotel, or if they prefer a motu the four seasons or st regis, those who are deprived and think a large overwater bungalow is paradise *with no fish or reef under your bungalow like at the lemoana for snorkeling will say otherwise. You cannot help the stupid.

Last edited by FLYGVA; Nov 9, 2016 at 11:57 am Reason: edited impolite and personal comment out of post
Old Nov 5, 2016, 1:22 pm

Programs: TK Elite, BA Gold, Skyteam Elite Plus, IHG Spire AMB, HHonors Diamond
We have booked a few nights at the Thalasso (Nov/Dec16) .. what kind of compensation(renovation) can we expect? any experience? 55$ should be a joke or? At the time we booked our stay, the notice of renovation was not public....

Regards
Old Nov 5, 2016, 4:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb., A3 *G, QF Plat
Originally Posted by lewende
This is very likely, by my guess, released by somebody who can't go, but it's tooooo late.
The Nov 10th night was mine, and Im currently at the Thalasso so your guess was wrong . I had booked 7 consecutive nights at Thalasso, but decided 6 was enough and dropped the Nov 10th night to spend more time at Le Moana. First impressions, the Thalasso is great but I feel like its overhyped. Water is definitely clear and beautiful but in my honest opinion we've experienced better elsewhere in the world. Overwater villa is pretty nice, but as others have pointed out there is some wear and tear starting to show. The construction is actually pretty quiet and we arent affected. They put us near the 230-240 villas and the view is partially of the beach and the mountain, so pretty good on that front. Overall, good but not great.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 4:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb., A3 *G, QF Plat
Originally Posted by Marco159
We have booked a few nights at the Thalasso (Nov/Dec16) .. what kind of compensation(renovation) can we expect? any experience? 55$ should be a joke or? At the time we booked our stay, the notice of renovation was not public....
We're at Thalasso right now and the compensation is 6000xpf per night, but we were told it only applies to beverages and nothing else, so it seems this is different to what others are saying on this thread. Also, honestly the construction wont have an impact on your stay, unless you are literally next door to it, and if that turns out to be the case just ask for another room, occupancy seems light here at the moment...
Old Nov 5, 2016, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Marco159

Regards
There is no compensation due and the construction of new bungalow is listed on the website! As a Spire Amb you ask to be placed on the Opposite pontoon facing the mountain or facing away from the construction that is compensation enough and you will not hear anything or you ask to be placed at the Lemoana where you can actually enjoy a beach and a swimmable lagoon in French Polynesia.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by cuzzybro
The Nov 10th night was mine, and Im currently at the Thalasso so your guess was wrong . I had booked 7 consecutive nights at Thalasso, but decided 6 was enough and dropped the Nov 10th night to spend more time at Le Moana. First impressions, the Thalasso is great but I feel like its overhyped. Water is definitely clear and beautiful but in my honest opinion we've experienced better elsewhere in the world. Overwater villa is pretty nice, but as others have pointed out there is some wear and tear starting to show. The construction is actually pretty quiet and we arent affected. They put us near the 230-240 villas and the view is partially of the beach and the mountain, so pretty good on that front. Overall, good but not great.
This is smart, go to the Moana sooner and request an overwater bungalow if you must, it is smaller but you will have an excellent condition bungalow and you will have your own private reef under the couch table to view fish or snorkel privately. The water all around the resort at the Lemoana is no more than 1 to 1.4 meters deep or 4 ft deep. Go across from the lobby to the beach and enjoy, also go to Blue Coco for excellent paroquet fish or italian dishes with prawns or tuna. You wont spend more than 100 dollars for a meal for two with drinks. Get the Bora Gold Pass magazine with discounts and the free welcome cocktail. You wont regret the move, the Thalasso offers absolutely nothing and the unsightly crane is enough for those who know better to move on quickly. Even the beach bungalow at the le moana is a gift if compared with hawaii and no there is no "base rooms" like some people here have said.

Last edited by BoraYa; Nov 5, 2016 at 5:05 pm Reason: No base rooms in french polynesia!
Old Nov 5, 2016, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by cuzzybro
We're at Thalasso right now and the compensation is 6000xpf per night, but we were told it only applies to beverages and nothing else, so it seems this is different to what others are saying on this thread. Also, honestly the construction wont have an impact on your stay, unless you are literally next door to it, and if that turns out to be the case just ask for another room, occupancy seems light here at the moment...

The compensation is for Food and Beverage and is automatic, use it to offset the cost of dinner buffets or alacarte dinner, there is no need to go hungry at this resort or buy the drinks to spill in the 1960s light blue tiny tile pool.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 2:55 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Two conflicting views Which one is it?

Originally Posted by BoraYa
The 55 dollar compensation is a joke and only celebrated by those with no money or who are not there to celebrate something special.
Originally Posted by BoraYa
There is no compensation due and the construction of new bungalow is listed on the website!

Glad you like the Moana over the Thalasso anyway; the Moana is old but acceptable, the beach out front is nice however nothing beats being over the water, in a villa which is much more contemporary and twice the size of the Moana's

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.