Wiki Posts
Search

Accounts closed with nearly half million points

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2010, 4:58 am
Suspended

Programs: OWE, Hilton GOLD and counting
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
You are aware that all airline and hotel programs have almost identical terms and conditions, right? They're all customer friendly until they decide to close your account.
Agreed.

But Hilton and Marriott will not let you to register any promo in first place if you are not targeted.

In IHG it is different. It might be IHG's way of operation or incompetent IT department. You may refer to uk1's analyses which is very heavy weighted to explain IHG's responsibilities in the promo code scandel.
Old May 30, 2010, 5:01 am

Programs: NW Diamond, LH SEN, PC Spire - RA, TG PlatHyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by apollo_liumin
I guess you should be clear that the critical point here is:

you can never get the other-side story from PCR. They act like dictators, and you would not have any chance to argue and negotiate.
+1

Back to OP. You should go to national press and tvs. Let's see what IHG HQ says on this matter.
Old May 30, 2010, 5:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by IC6A
I understand you always stand with the corporations (e.g. Qantas, IHG...). That might be your nature to defend big corporations you like. But please do not say there is no evidence as the reality is there for you to see. It is wrong for you to turn away and pretend all those reality does not exist.
If there is evidence, then provide it. Claims that there is prejudice is not evidence that there is. So far there have been only claims. The lack of provided evidence says to me that there is no evidence, otherwise it would be posted.

Regardless, the poster admits to claiming the same 100pt bonus 15 to 20 times on multiple accounts and has had their account closed. If found breaking the rules, then be prepared to accept the consequences, not whine that there is discrimination because others havent.
Old May 30, 2010, 5:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If there is evidence, then provide it. Claims that there is prejudice is not evidence that there is. So far there have been only claims. The lack of provided evidence says to me that there is no evidence, otherwise it would be posted.

Regardless, the poster admits to claiming the same 100pt bonus 15 to 20 times on multiple accounts and has had their account closed. If found breaking the rules, then be prepared to accept the consequences, not whine that there is discrimination because others havent.
What evidence you want?

More than 30 PCR members with Chinese names were shut down but not a single one with caucasion or others names like you have. Is that not enough?

The members are the evidence. Unless you can give me one example who does not bear the Chinese names were shut down then I have a reason to believe in what the op is claiming.

You did not read the OP's post. He did not admit the same 100 Pts bonus. What he said is that he get 1000-2000 bonus points by registering the code which is publicly available through Radioman's post and other sources. And he does not have multiple account. You are so stereotype in this matter.
Old May 30, 2010, 5:47 am

What evidence you want?

More than 30 PCR members with Chinese names were shut down but not a single one with caucasion or others names like you have. Is that not enough?
That is not evidence that others havent been targetted, just evidence that these have been caught

The members are the evidence. Unless you can give me one example who does not bear the Chinese names were shut down then I have a reason to believe in what the op is claiming.
I am not the one claiming that there is evidence that they are targetting a particular group, but that person has not provided any evidence

You are so stereotype in this matter.
If requiring evidence to be shown when there is a claim that there is evidence is stereotypical, then in this area I m happy to be a sterotype

It's no different to someone visiting 5 friends who have pets; each has a dog as a pet ; therefore all pet owners have dogs and claiming this as evidence

As far as the multiple claims on single promos, the question was asked "did u used any kind of script or lots of multiple entries for 100points bonus?" ... Answer in post 82 "yes, 1.5K to 2K for each of our accounts," . That is an explicit admission of being a script kiddie or manually making 15-20 claims per account
Old May 30, 2010, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by yyliu88
Well said summary, I have said few months ago when they just started to shut down accounts" I am happy with the action taken by PCR to prevent fraudulent activity, but I hope they can do this by review the account case by case. What they are doing is they’d rather mistakenly close innocent people account than letting criminal go away."

One more to add, the person who is handling the cases is Josh Ellerman, the assistant to Mr. Chris Zoloth,Director of Global Customer Care for IHG. Unfortunately, Mr Ellerman doesn’t really listen to the explanation and showed to respect to any Chinese.

This is email everyone received if u try to contact him to re open account

You are not able to re-register for Priority Club Rewards, as this decision to close your account is final and definite. Rest assured, we are very confident in the case work we have to support this position, and if we discover that you have created another Priority Club Rewards account in the future, we will very diligently locate and immediately terminate that account, and you will forfeit any remaining points. Again, I can not reiterate enough that due to confirmed fraudulent activity, you no longer will be allowed to participate in Priority Club Rewards, and this decision is final.

If you ask him what confirmed activities are, he will tell you" register too many codes"

He enjoys what he is doing now and telling Chinese members"do whatever u want to, I don't care. your account is gone, but welcome to stay at IHG hotels"

This part is from other Chinese forum http://www.flyertea.com/thread-9392-2-1.html "because Josh is really impatient to every one who ever called him and even used rude languages. Josh also told many members who suffered from this disaster that this action is designed expecially for Chinese members, members from other countries could never encouter such crisis"

Mr. Chris Zoloth and Mr. Josh Ellerman, please prepare to explain this matter properly. Otherwise, i'm ready to boycott PCR program from now.

AP 2010 with over 150K points in a/c

Last edited by ronaldko; May 30, 2010 at 6:02 am
Old May 30, 2010, 6:02 am
Suspended

That is not evidence that others havent been targetted, just evidence that these have been caught

I am not the one claiming that there is evidence that they are targetting a particular group, but that person has not provided any evidence

If requiring evidence to be shown when there is a claim that there is evidence is stereotypical, then in this area I m happy to be a sterotype

It's no different to someone visiting 5 friends who have pets; each has a dog as a pet ; therefore all pet owners have dogs and claiming this as evidence

As far as the multiple claims on single promos, the question was asked "did u used any kind of script or lots of multiple entries for 100points bonus?" ... Answer in post 82 "yes, 1.5K to 2K for each of our accounts," . That is an explicit admission of being a script kiddie or manually making 15-20 claims per account
I am sorry to call you Stereotype. I would like to give my appology to you.

In this particular case, the only evidence is the closed down account and the witness account of the converstation with the IHG staff.

And unfortunately the victims here are the only witness at this moment.

Before any more details can be traced, I will still be very cautious towards IHG. I just canceled some of my reservations. I hope IHG can step up to explain to public for what reason they closed down the victim's accounts to clarify. Until then I feel that there is a danger that my account may be closed down in the same manner. And I will only stay in IHG again until the intention of account closed down is clarified. I am very worried as radioman did not show up for more than one month now. Well...
Old May 30, 2010, 6:35 am

What evidence you want?

More than 30 PCR members with Chinese names were shut down but not a single one with caucasion or others names like you have
. Is that not enough?

You did not read the OP's post. He did not admit the same 100 Pts bonus. What he said is that he get 1000-2000 bonus points by registering the code which is publicly available through Radioman's post and other sources. And he does not have multiple account. You are so stereotype in this matter.

it is certainly no evidence of the reason for closing the accounts
if fraud has taken place in china it is logical that most/all involved are chinese
Old May 30, 2010, 8:43 am

Programs: CI: Emer; CX: Sliver; DL: PM; PC: RA;
Originally Posted by soitgoes
I don't think registering for codes is the issue. I think that's just the "excuse" being used. It seems they are attempting to crack down on the sale of award rooms and the use of multiple accounts that might be rampant in certain regions. In so doing, they may also be closing down too many accounts. (Cf. Wyndham/BMI where there were reports of huge quantities of phantom stays being racked up via Chinese hotels.)
Yes, this is also what I believe.
Old May 30, 2010, 8:57 am

I redeemed last Friday for 6 nights, check in on Sat, no problem as PCR closed during the weekend. As I said, I never thought of being closed until this Friday,very late afternoon, I tried to login to book more nights.

too add more detail, on Friday, I suppose to check out, but as I said, I am remodeling my home, so was extremely busy, I totally forgot to check out because I thought I booked until Sat. around 6:00pm, I went back to the hotel, but key did not work, I went downstair to re do my key, they told me I should check out long time ago. If I want to use points for more nights, I need to do it on computer.

I then headed to computer to book and found out account can not be accessed, I knew what happened as many Chinese member already mentioned countless times what the message they got when account was closed.

I still gave a call to PCR, after giving them my account number, they told me my account was closed, but no point anyway. I then asked them to check again, she put me on hold then told me the reason I mentioned in first post. I knew it's not gonna get to anywhere with them over the phone. I hang up then went back to hotel to tell them the account was closed, I need to pay for today.

The front desk was very nice, they gave me a better rate than online as Platinum.

I checked out today and move to the hotel next door.
Do understand your frustration, and believe that PCR must show some evidence to prove its decision. I am not sure what happening, and until today, there is no official announcement regard is “account closing” issue. Maybe there are some PC abusing but IMHO, using codes from flyertalk should not contribute to account closing.
Old May 30, 2010, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by wpyeh
Maybe there are some PC abusing but IMHO, using codes from flyertalk should not contribute to account closing.
However your opinion is not what matters when it is IHG making the decisions; there may be other suspicions on their part on what is going on if they are more concerned about another issue ( e.g. selling of awards ) but if they focus on what is easy to prove ( such as misuse of promotion codes ) they can use that as the valid justification rather than having to prove something that may be a lot harder to prove

It is probably v easy to prove multiple uses of the same code or use of a targetted code that was not targetted at the member

Even so, once the account is closed, it will be up to the member to prove that the closure was outside the rules of the programme if they want to force it to be reinstated rather than the other way round
Old May 30, 2010, 9:14 am

However your opinion is not what matters when it is IHG making the decisions; there may be other suspicions on their part on what is going on if they are more concerned about another issue ( e.g. selling of awards ) but if they focus on what is easy to prove ( such as misuse of promotion codes ) they can use that as the valid justification rather than having to prove something that may be a lot harder to prove

It is probably v easy to prove multiple uses of the same code or use of a targetted code that was not targetted at the member

Even so, once the account is closed, it will be up to the member to prove that the closure was outside the rules of the programme if they want to force it to be reinstated rather than the other way round
Yes you are right, the only thing I can hope now is to wish this closure "activities" will only limite to China and NA.
Old May 30, 2010, 9:24 am

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
yes, 1.5K to 2K for each of our accounts, but I am sure lots of member here did better than me
OK, I think that this is a big clue to the source of the problem. We know from other threads in this forum that there were plenty of account suspensions for all kinds of people who gamed the 100 point promo.

As you were using a script, and from other things that have been mentioned by people identifying themselves as Chinese or chinese-speaking, it appears that such scripts were downloadable from certain Chinese-language websites. Such a script waould have a characteristic pattern of registration.

So, it seems at the very least plausible that ICHG discovered the issue, looked at the script, devised a screen that would find accounts that had used that script, and then screened all PCR accounts for use of the script, and closed those accounts. This would explain why Chinese members seem to have been "targetted". While I sympathize, and feel that forfeiture of those points and a warning would have been a more reasonable approach, IMHO using a script to game the system steps over a line.

If this is what happened, then while I sympathize with the posters who have been affected, then up to that point, I don't think that ICHG's reaction is completely unreasonable. However, even if that is what happened, the reaction of the named arrogant and unhelpful CS manager turned this from being a harsh but perhaps defenisble action into something that is not defensible and at the least a PR disaster.

I should point out that those who have named the arrogant, unhelpful CS agent are violating FT T&C, and I urge you to edit your posts before a moderator delets those posts making this thread incomprehensible. It is my understanding that you could refer to him as JE and stay within the T&C and everyone who has encountered him will know t hat it is the same person.

So, JH is eveidently being unreasonable, and seemingly racist, and unless iCHG act quickly and decisively to deal with his behavior, then it is reasonable for Chinese PCR members to feel that they are being targeted as a group, and respond appropriately. However given that this has all happened over the space of a few days, such a conclusion is premature until contact has been made with ICHG through other channels, and more senior management has had the opportunity to disown and make ammends for JH's actions.

What evidence you want?

More than 30 PCR members with Chinese names were shut down but not a single one with caucasion or others names like you have. Is that not enough?.
[My italics] You don't know that - and can have no way of knowing that, and to make such an allegation damages your credibility.

Indeed it is a fact that plenty of FTers with caucasion names had their accounts suspended for over-use of the 100 point promos - as documented on various threads here on this FT forum.

Last edited by dgwright99; May 30, 2010 at 10:22 am
Old May 30, 2010, 9:36 am

I can imagine the headlines now: customer abuses account, company closes down account, customer claims discrimination. This is not a sympathic story.

Now, you take away using scripts to get extra points and registering for promotions you weren't targeted for, you've got a story.

You're not an innocent victim here. And I doubt it's the name alone. Your PC CC was issued in China; there was probably a link there. I'd be willing to bet there are a number of Asian Americans who are abusing these promotions-with a Chinese last name-who haven't been shut down.
Old May 30, 2010, 9:37 am

With viral marketing, socal networking websites and travel websites, people often share promotions.

One of the issues, as IC6A pointed out, is IHG does not always deny a member from signing up successfully for a targeted promotion that was not intended for that member. With most other programs, only targeted members can register successfully.

Last edited by WBOTM; May 30, 2010 at 11:23 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.