Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American AA vs. United UA [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2012, 7:12 pm

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by hindukid
On international the difference is even greater. over 50% of oneworld transatlantic flights now have a fuel surcharge. Star alliance has so many more transatlantic flights that there is always more options. Currently looking for ATH-IAD. In a 2 week period AA has 4 days available and zero flight that do not have an overnight connection or a $200 fuel surcharge. UA has availability on all 14 days.

Aside from hib cities there is really only one good reason to choose AA miles over UA. And that is stopovers. AA has free stopovers at your north american gateway which can be valuable but really only when you live in a north Ameican gateway.
Hindukid is right, at least about this part. If the OP wants to go to Europe in a premium cabin, forget AA. They'll make you fly BA and pay $. However, AA got smart and at least has sAAver seats on their own metal (no $.)

Asia is a different story. Yes, there is CX, but UA also has TG and NH.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
And AA has their relationships with credit cards too with quite large bonuses.
Not only that, but you're still allowed to churn Citi AA cards every couple of years. It might not seem like that big of a deal, but 100k every other year adds up. If there is a spouse involved, then one can alternate years.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by DC777Fan
I'd pick AA because UA are so much easier to earn (via UR)... keep things diversified.
I don't know if UA is so much easier to earn (although I am a card carying member of the OD GC club) but they are easier.

That aside, I do agree with keeping things diversified. Every program has their strengths, and I've found that when I need miles/points in a certain program, I need those points.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 7:46 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Depends on how many miles you have in each. We're swimming in United miles (450K in 3 accounts), but have much less AA miles (175K in 2 accounts).

UA miles are easier to get through Chase spending. Personally, I'd go with AA.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 10:35 am

Programs: all
Depends on variables. Where you want to go? How many miles u have in each. Do you have easier access to getting miles on one vs other?

All those not being an issue, I would get United as they are easier to redeem with more partners and especially for international tickets no YQ unlike many American partners
Old Sep 7, 2012, 11:30 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
I value UA and AA miles almost equally. Certainly each have advantages depending on where exactly you are trying to go. But if you don't have specific award redemption in mind, i would go with UA, because I strongly prefer to be able to find awards and book them online, and UA is much better for that.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 1:36 pm

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
I'd say it's difficult for anyone to answer this unless we know what you're looking to eventually do with the miles.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 7:40 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
This could go either way. Personally, I've had better luck overall with AA miles and with 50K I could go to Central/South America or the Caribbean where AA has a big presence. Neither airline has a particularly good Y product so that would be about the same. Luckily, I don't think you can make a bad choice here
Old Apr 3, 2013, 9:48 pm

I'm completely new, but have been reading for weeks and am stuck between AA/UN as for as the best FF for my situation- any help is appreciated!

I'm based out of SFO (or OAK/SJC)
Most of my flying is to JFK & LAX, about 1-2x a month.
I plan to make a trip to either SFO-MUC-MIL, or SFO-LAX-PPT-(Perhaps)SYD, or SFO-MUC-DEL or SFO-JFK-MUC-CAI-Somewhere In Africa, or SFO-SIN, or preferably multiple of the above.

I own a small business, and 2014/2015 I am planning to fly heavily domestically & internationally with my employees (4 of us) Around the US/CA (YVR, SFO, LAX, HNL, PHX, IAH, MIA, ATL, JFK, YQB, YYC, & ORD); Through South America, (Somewhat Undecided- Mexico, Costa Rica/Peru, Chile, Argentina, Brazil, French Polynesian) And Europe; (Although we may be doing more driving in Europe) KEF, LCY, MAD, CDG, MIL, MUC, ATH, PRG, ARN, DME)

I know its late in the game to start (April) But I would expect to hit AA PLT or UN Premier Exec. (Preferably 1k/EXC with mileage runs or Segments from SFO-LAX) But if I got PLT on AA this year, might UN match that?

My goal is to get the best & most frequent upgrades possible (Purchase coach Y/M or lower and get upgraded to business for myself and at least one other) for domestic & international flights. I'd also prefer the safest, and preferably most comfortable choice (Might be AA here?). Not too worried about the rest, although AA's bankruptcy history is concerning.

From your knowledge, what do you think would be the best choice between UN/*A Or AA/OW? Any Credit Cards you would recommend?

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:34 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by FrenchScorpio
Bay Area folks should switch to United.
I think that's worked quite the opposite since you posted in 2007 and UA/CO merged. I know a lot of Bay Area UA flyers that have made the move to AA. Some have returned due to route network, but others are happy and have made AA their airline of choice. In fact, AA just won two awards at the Flyer Talk awards announced today. UA did not win anything. There were also four awards given to One World partners (BA, Cathay).

Caution to anyone reading the 2006/7 posts here: some information posted in 2006/7 about AA and its partners is no longer correct. Quite a few changes.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by Jess05
From your knowledge, what do you think would be the best choice between UN/*A Or AA/OW?
Way too many airports in there to comment on. A good starting point with AA and One World would be the One World timetable. Check and see if all your destinations are in there.
http://www.oneworld.com/

AA does have some partners that are not part of One World, and those would be accessible via the AA website. One complaint about AA is that they don't have the route network UA does out of SFO. You'll see nonstops within the U.S. to LAX, ORD, DFW, MIA, and JFK. You can't get to BOS or HNL nonstop (though Alaska is a partner for Hawaii travel nonstop from SFO/OAK).

One thing you need to watch out for, and it's the elephant in the room, is mileage accumulation on AA partners. Some partners, in discounted economy, accrue ZERO miles, while others may accrue 30-50-100%. It is important to read the partner page and understand how partner miles accrue with AA.
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/el...ecognition.jsp

If you book an AA flight number on a partner, you will always get 100% AA miles. Downside is that you may pay more for that AA codeshare.

Now, if you do intend to fly over 100,000 miles a year, AA does offer some perks that other alliances don't match. Among those is first class lounge access on international itineraries and systemwide upgrades without a buy-up on AA metal. I've cleared 8 systemwides already this year, 4 to Europe for myself and 4 for friends traveling with me to Germany, without any additional charge.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tom911
One thing you need to watch out for, and it's the elephant in the room, is mileage accumulation on AA partners...
The real elephant is US/AA merger. Given the recent history of DL/NW and UA/CO (and US/HP for that matter) I would expect a fair bit of pain...
I am fairly certain that SWU on all fares without copay will not be around when the dust settles...
Old Apr 4, 2013, 1:09 am

So, at worst, they match UA? I've been having UA flyers tell me that for 10 years now and I'm still waiting for the change.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 1:27 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
So, at worst, they match UA? I've been having UA flyers tell me that for 10 years now and I'm still waiting for the change.
There hasn't been an AA/US merger pending officially for 10 years now.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I liek AA however IMO the only reason those goodies survived is recent AA bankruptcy and desperate efforts to keep the elites (think of all those unprecedented staus matches etc)

UA MP on average is better than AA - much better network, decent availability and no atrocious YQ on awards.
If you dilute upgrade benefits which are currently better on AA there won't be too many positives left... Don't get me wrong - I'd rather see all those benefits stay than witness a race to the bottom...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.