Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

SUGGESTION BOX: How can we improve this forum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SUGGESTION BOX: How can we improve this forum?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2014, 7:58 pm

This: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...dialogues.html

Working on FAQ and basic info wiki's for every forum would really go a long way.

Creating a useful wiki on the big consolidated threads, would help. The practice of crossing out old info instead of replacing it, at least for recent changes, is really helpful. I wish it was a wider practice.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 7:13 pm

I'm part of several online communities. A few of them have taken advantage of using an internal facing Google Search page. Example: http://www.google.com/advanced_searc...therbikers.com

Not sure if anyone here as first hand experience, but from a user's perspective, sure make searches more accurate and intuitive. Thoughts?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by n00bTrvlr
I'm part of several online communities. A few of them have taken advantage of using an internal facing Google Search page. Example: http://www.google.com/advanced_searc...therbikers.com

Not sure if anyone here as first hand experience, but from a user's perspective, sure make searches more accurate and intuitive. Thoughts?
Welcome!

That's definitely possible on FlyerTalk. In fact, it's already built into the software. Go up to the "Search" function on the dark blue nav bar near the top of the page (not the one on the lighter blue banner at the very top) and one of the options is "Google Search."

The downside is the results aren't ordered chronologically or divided up by forum/thread, and there can be duplicate results shown, but it is a useful tool on occasion. I actually prefer the built-in vBulletin search when I know exactly what I'm looking for and where it might be (and/or am looking for a recent post, so I can sort it by time), but I find the Google search feature useful when I'm performing a more generalized search and may not know the exact keywords I'm looking for.

FWIW, a shortcut is to just go to Google (or most modern browsers' combined search+address bar) and type "site:flyertalk.com" followed by the search. I do that often enough that it's practically muscle memory...
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm just tossing an idea into the mix: if it doesn't already exist, a "which credit card should I get?" thread/guide for newbies would be useful. My cousin just asked me that exact question, and I was wishing there were a thread on that subject I could point her to...
Old Apr 12, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by jackal
I'm just tossing an idea into the mix: if it doesn't already exist, a "which credit card should I get?" thread/guide for newbies would be useful. My cousin just asked me that exact question, and I was wishing there were a thread on that subject I could point her to...
It's not exactly the which-cards-are-for-me type of thread, but this sticky thread over Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs Forum does spell out the (general) pointers for those who need a head start in getting credit cards:

START HERE! Welcome, General Advice, and Index of Popular Threads (in Credit Card Programs Forum)

I would think for those who need help to build up cc knowledge and card application strategies will definitely get more in-depth & on-topic guidance and replies over CC Programs Forum.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lin821
It's not exactly the which-cards-are-for-me type of thread, but this sticky thread over Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs Forum does spell out the (general) pointers for those who need a head start in getting credit cards:

START HERE! Welcome, General Advice, and Index of Popular Threads (in Credit Card Programs Forum)

I would think for those who need help to build up cc knowledge and card application strategies will definitely get more in-depth & on-topic guidance and replies over CC Programs Forum.
Thanks. These are the sorts of things that it would be great to list in the consolidated resources wiki. I might have been able to find it, then.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Things to do:

1. Wikify this thread
2. Assemble links from around FT to threads with info on how to use ITA Matrix
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by jackal
2. Assemble links from around FT to threads with info on how to use ITA Matrix
Instead of doing so why not simply provide links to the individual forums where that info already resides? For example the Mileage Run Discussion forum sticky here already has an overview of search tools including 'How To' threads on ITA.

MHO would be to use InfoDesk sticky+wiki as a portal with hyperlinks to the other fora not a place to try and store all the pertinent details from every corner of FT, though that's merely MHO.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tcook052
Instead of doing so why not simply provide links to the individual forums where that info already resides? For example the Mileage Run Discussion forum sticky here already has an overview of search tools including 'How To' threads on ITA.

MHO would be to use InfoDesk sticky+wiki as a portal with hyperlinks to the other fora not a place to try and store all the pertinent details from every corner of FT, though that's merely MHO.
Don't disagree with you at all. Where others have done it better, let's point there. But let's be sure to point there. Right now, there's nothing. I answered a newbie's question about ITA stuff, and not knowing where to start, I just did a site:flyertalk.com ITA query to find some relevant threads (fortunately, I had a decent idea what I was looking for). Note that some of the threads I uncovered were NOT in the MR Discussion forum but rather in Travel Tools or elsewhere. Those threads would not be covered by your suggestion, so let's make sure we capture those, too, somehow.
Old May 8, 2014, 5:38 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
It would be great if instead of one mega Info Desk, we could have all posts go into the following subfolders:
1) Plan My Vacation for Me
2) How do I use Flyertalk
3) Getting Started with Miles
4) Multi-Airline Questions
Old May 8, 2014, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam1222
It would be great if instead of one mega Info Desk, we could have all posts go into the following subfolders:
1) Plan My Vacation for Me
2) How do I use Flyertalk
3) Getting Started with Miles
4) Multi-Airline Questions
Not a bad idea, and it's one that's occurred to me (although not quite spelled in as much detail as your idea, so thanks for posting!). Not sure if we'd need TalkBoard's agreement (and endless debating process) to create subfora or if the Community Director can exercise her emergency authority. Let's talk about it a bit before pushing for that option--what are the pros and cons?
Old May 8, 2014, 8:56 am

The Meta-Information Desk: How can we improve this forum?

I would contribute more to answering people's questions if there weren't pages of people asking essentially for free travel agent/trip planning services. It would also encourage people to think if their question really belongs in the Information Desk forum. The title of the forum suggests its a one stop shop for information, but so is Google and so is the entire rest of Flyertalk.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm noticing a lot of new members coming to Information Forum and posting questions and then "never coming back" (or at least not in time to answer the follow-up questions that often have to be asked). Do new members get an opt-out automatic "subscription" to new threads they start here, so at least they're notified that they're get replies?
Old Aug 10, 2014, 12:20 pm

The Meta-Information Desk: How can we improve this forum?

it seems the decision has been made to leave Information Desk poorly named and a place for people to ask questions answered in appropriate fora, or available on Google. And thus moderators have to move the questions to appropriate fora except for those 1) asking for people to be their travel agents or 2) asking for people to help them travel for free because The Points Guy and Million Mile Secrets told them they could.
if that's the case, why does the Information Desk exist?
Old Aug 13, 2014, 5:36 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
it seems the decision has been made to leave Information Desk poorly named and a place for people to ask questions answered in appropriate fora,...
Yes, a very sad turn, if you ask me. ID Forum as of recent has the feel of a dump site.

I don't know if a different forum name would make some positive changes though.

if that's the case, why does the Information Desk exist?
Enquiring minds want to know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.