FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SUGGESTION BOX: How can we improve this forum?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 7:15 pm
jackal
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by n00bTrvlr
I'm part of several online communities. A few of them have taken advantage of using an internal facing Google Search page. Example: http://www.google.com/advanced_searc...therbikers.com

Not sure if anyone here as first hand experience, but from a user's perspective, sure make searches more accurate and intuitive. Thoughts?
Welcome!

That's definitely possible on FlyerTalk. In fact, it's already built into the software. Go up to the "Search" function on the dark blue nav bar near the top of the page (not the one on the lighter blue banner at the very top) and one of the options is "Google Search."

The downside is the results aren't ordered chronologically or divided up by forum/thread, and there can be duplicate results shown, but it is a useful tool on occasion. I actually prefer the built-in vBulletin search when I know exactly what I'm looking for and where it might be (and/or am looking for a recent post, so I can sort it by time), but I find the Google search feature useful when I'm performing a more generalized search and may not know the exact keywords I'm looking for.

FWIW, a shortcut is to just go to Google (or most modern browsers' combined search+address bar) and type "site:flyertalk.com" followed by the search. I do that often enough that it's practically muscle memory...