Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

SUGGESTION BOX: How can we improve this forum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2015, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by 84fiero
While I was at my folks last night I had my mother sign up for a new account as I was curious what exactly a brand new user sees after reading the above and your quoted text.

After getting through the email confirmation link process, she ended up with the entire forum tree displayed, but also with this message at the top of the page:

(the Information Desk was hyperlinked in the actual message)

On the one hand the forum tree is present and the message encourages the newcomer to take the time to become familiar with FT. OTOH it also says "start....at the Information Desk".

I think your suggestion to perhaps replace a link to begin at the Information Desk forum in general, with a link to that sticky, is worthwhile. Perhaps some other minor tweaking of the welcome message would be in order to go along with that? Maybe something along the lines of...

Just brainstorming. I think the welcome message shouldn't be too long or it may not be read, but a message that is more direct about encouraging folks to look for a specific relevant forum might help.
Interesting. I was told by the forum administrators that they could redirect the user to a specific thread but not a specific forum, and so they had programmed it to dump all new users into this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...tion-desk.html

I never did test it myself to see if that's what was happening. Thanks for reporting your findings.
Old May 31, 2015, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Click on Glossary or Airport codes on the bottom of every page or these in Help (top middle of screen)
You will soon be able to write a reply using nothing but the abbreviations. We will understand 100% ^

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glossary.php
Slapping my forehead. Thank you! Never noticed it.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 3:31 pm

Programs: DL FO, DL Reserve, AMEX Plat, Priority Pass, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Flyertall
Well, as a newbie, I just registered. And the directions I was given at the top of the first page I logged into, the moment I verified my email, was to come to "Information Desk" first. I dutifully did, and found this Information Desk thread, and posted. If every newbie is presented with the same initial page that I was when I joined today, then that might explain the nature of some of the questions found here.

Anyway, I look forward to learning how to fly here.
Originally Posted by 84fiero
While I was at my folks last night I had my mother sign up for a new account as I was curious what exactly a brand new user sees after reading the above and your quoted text.

After getting through the email confirmation link process, she ended up with the entire forum tree displayed, but also with this message at the top of the page:

(the Information Desk was hyperlinked in the actual message)

On the one hand the forum tree is present and the message encourages the newcomer to take the time to become familiar with FT. OTOH it also says "start....at the Information Desk".

I think your suggestion to perhaps replace a link to begin at the Information Desk forum in general, with a link to that sticky, is worthwhile. Perhaps some other minor tweaking of the welcome message would be in order to go along with that? Maybe something along the lines of...

Just brainstorming. I think the welcome message shouldn't be too long or it may not be read, but a message that is more direct about encouraging folks to look for a specific relevant forum might help.
Originally Posted by jackal
Interesting. I was told by the forum administrators that they could redirect the user to a specific thread but not a specific forum, and so they had programmed it to dump all new users into this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...tion-desk.html

I never did test it myself to see if that's what was happening. Thanks for reporting your findings.

Yes. The exact same findings I reported over 7 months ago.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yes. The exact same findings I reported over 7 months ago.
Sorry, when I read your initial report, I just assumed it was behaving as expected (that you were redirected to http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...tion-desk.html). It wasn't clear that you were redirected to something different.

Also, it took about (exaggeratedly) 100 attempts just to pick a user name. I was this close to giving up after much time went by with each of my user names rejected. As an older person with marginal vision, having to resolve those cryptic captchas each and every time I couldn't guess at a user name that had not been taken, was a bit unnerving. After a 30 minutes or so, it becomes a contest of will, but I think some people wouldn't have the patience and just skip it.

A suggestion would be to incorporate the feature found on other forums, like the credit card forum, where as you are typing in a potential user name, a box appears immediately letting you know if the user name is taken or not. That would be so very helpful. Think of all the half hours of life you would be giving back to new members. Hope you consider it.
Our scope of influence here is improving the Information Desk forum. I understand the frustration you experienced with the username choosing process and agree with you that it needs improvement, but that would be something under the control of the administrators of the website (Internet Brands). The best thing to do would be to post your experience and request over in the forum they monitor. You can do so here: Technical Support and Feedback.

Last edited by jackal; Jun 2, 2015 at 5:24 pm
Old Jul 31, 2015, 4:44 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

I am going to repeat my request that a subforum be created for "Help me use my miles to fly to XXX". with the influx of new members as a result of media, this topic is now the predominant one in ID. A sticky should be created pointing people to links to encourage self sufficiency, rather than people using ID as a miles booking service.

To cite the Shopping Mall information desk analogy that people like, the Information Desk is turning into a personal shopper service.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam1222
I am going to repeat my request that a subforum be created for "Help me use my miles to fly to XXX". with the influx of new members as a result of media, this topic is now the predominant one in ID. A sticky should be created pointing people to links to encourage self sufficiency, rather than people using ID as a miles booking service.

To cite the Shopping Mall information desk analogy that people like, the Information Desk is turning into a personal shopper service.
Stickies we can do (feel free to write one--perhaps preferably using a wiki format that all can contribute to--and it may be something we can sticky, though we also need to avoid having too many stickies at the top of the page), but new forums are the domain of the TalkBoard.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by jackal

Stickies we can do (feel free to write one--perhaps preferably using a wiki format that all can contribute to--and it may be something we can sticky, though we also need to avoid having too many stickies at the top of the page), but new forums are the domain of the TalkBoard.
I would hope that the forum moderators would be in regular communication with the Talk Board about how a new forum is working or not working...

But if a subforum is insuperable, surely the moderators could create a thread "Help me book a flight to...." and move each of the inquiries there, or just lock or move these inquiries generally

The sticky would say "Information Desk is not an award booking service or a travel agent."
Old Jul 31, 2015, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I would hope that the forum moderators would be in regular communication with the Talk Board about how a new forum is working or not working...
TalkBoard works for the members of FlyerTalk. Moderators have no special channel to communicate with TalkBoard members. Some TalkBoard members probably weight moderator feedback lower than ideas from regular members.

But if a subforum is insuperable, surely the moderators could create a thread "Help me book a flight to...." and move each of the inquiries there, or just lock or move these inquiries generally
Not a bad idea. If this idea becomes something we decide to implement, we'd need the community's help to alert us of these by using the "Alert a moderator to this post" functionality on these threads.

The sticky would say "Information Desk is not an award booking service or a travel agent."
I'm not a fan of such a single-issue sticky taking up valuable real estate at the top of the forum. I would be more inclined to have a better-written more generalized "Information Desk Rules" thread. That said, history shows that users--and especially newbies--don't read such threads, so it will likely do little to help stem the inflow of such requests.

I personally think that the Information Desk needs a more cohesive purpose and vision and we need to figure out a way to streamline the way we handle things like referrals to other forums, moves to other forums, and a more explicit idea of what is and what isn't on-topic for this forum. It's something that we hope to better address in the future.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 5:19 pm

in case the moderators actually are interested in doing something rather than pointing fingers at the TalkBoard, perhaps they could communicate to other moderators that not every post by someone who has no idea what they're talking about should be sent to Information Desk. We've now passed the point of people just asking for help on any conceivable miles and points topic, but now it has become a dumping ground for people asking for help on any conceivable topic.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 7:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Remove the self-congratulatory "announcement" and combine all the stickes into one. People shouldn't have to scroll to the second page just to see the first substantive post.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Remove the self-congratulatory "announcement" and combine all the stickes into one. People shouldn't have to scroll to the second page just to see the first substantive post.
It doesn't appear anyone reads them anyway, nor are the rules the stickies set forth enforced.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:21 pm

Basic questions on a subject that doesn't easily fit in a single forum (such as the perennial "Which airline/hotel program should I collect miles in?" question
Exactly. Flyertalk has so many very narrow, special-purpose forums that it's not always obvious where a general purpose question that cuts across multiple airlines, airports, rewards programmes, etc, should go. I usually start with Information Desk, but sometimes that seems too broad.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, AC SE, Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Titanium
The inbox/messaging system could be improved. When looking at older messages, it's sometimes hard to decipher what was said. Furthermore, it's very un-intuitive when replying to a message. Should I start from the bottom, or the top? Would it be that difficult to include a "messenger-like" inbox system, or a gmail-like setup?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 5:28 pm

Ads-free paid version

I do not want to freeride but I do not want to be spammed with ads either. Please allow me to pay a fee to not see any ads. Until then, I will keep ignoring the message below.

Old Apr 3, 2019, 5:21 am

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
Can we PLEASE reopen the discussion on adding more Smiles/emoji's? We are stuck in the oughts with our design. At least allow us to have a more expanded list like this, which is standard on many car forums...

Standard Smile list

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.