Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Destination: Thailand from North America [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2013, 9:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by MaineFlyer16
You could fly the dreamliner on JL to NRT from BOS then on to BKK. I heard business class wasn't that great on it (not fully lie seats) but it may be worth it to experience the plane, plus not having to connect at JFK is always a plus.
Yeah, it's pretty bad. Maybe okay for westbound though.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 10:46 am

Programs: SQ
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
Just what is this US 100% promotion and how do I get it ?
It's widely targeted for US Airways account holders - Until 31 July buy miles get a 100% bonus.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 8:32 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
It's widely targeted for US Airways account holders - Until 31 July buy miles get a 100% bonus.
well I'm a USAIR account holder and I can't find evidence of the bonus

and here I was prepared to spend $2000 into their coffers. If there is a code then I missed it.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:26 pm

Programs: SQ
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
well I'm a USAIR account holder and I can't find evidence of the bonus

and here I was prepared to spend $2000 into their coffers. If there is a code then I missed it.
Really? I'm surprised - you have to go to usairways.com, click on buy miles, then it will prompt you to sign in, and there should be the offer.

Again, not sure how targeted it is, but it seemed to me that almost everyone got it.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA, UA, US, DL, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Club C. Gold, Marriott Silver
Thanks so much for all the great responses. I am trying to consider all my options. I just noticed that US has a 5,000 off mileage discount if you have their credit card. I assume this is only for USAIR flights and not allowed when using US miles and redeeming on their *alliance partner carriers?
Old Jul 25, 2013, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by MaineFlyer16
You could fly the dreamliner on JL to NRT from BOS then on to BKK. I heard business class wasn't that great on it (not fully lie seats).
Strange as many industry experts have been saying that Full lie down seats are now and near future will be the industry standard. Dont know why they made the dreamliner downgrade this instead of an upgrade as its a new plane.???
Old Jul 26, 2013, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by World2Travel
Thanks so much for all the great responses. I am trying to consider all my options. I just noticed that US has a 5,000 off mileage discount if you have their credit card. I assume this is only for USAIR flights and not allowed when using US miles and redeeming on their *alliance partner carriers?
Correct.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Availability will probably limit the options a lot, though if you're in November outside Thanksgiving you have about as good a chance as any in the year. If memory serves, Loi Krathong is around then as well (nice holiday, much better than Songkhran).

Am a frequent redeemer to BKK; all-time best was for 70K DL miles via AMS (mostly SQ) with a 5-day stop in AMS in June. Second best was 40K DL award sale. Those days are gone. I too tend to try to max out allowable stopovers & open jaws. Can't give advice on US as far as that goes, but Thailand is well-covered with LCCs (Nok Air my fave, but also Thai Air Asia & others) and the domestic fares have gotten so cheap that it could be better to get one of those and play the stopover or open jaw card in another spot on the itin.

Would also advise loading the first days with diurnal stuff. Eastern time zone to Thailand is the worst-case for jet lag, and I usually have to fight crashes around 8, 9, 10 p.m. etc. the first days there. YMMV but don't underestimate it.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by sharka
Strange as many industry experts have been saying that Full lie down seats are now and near future will be the industry standard. Dont know why they made the dreamliner downgrade this instead of an upgrade as its a new plane.???
They use it mainly on thin routes with no competition (e.g. BOS, SAN).
Old Jul 27, 2013, 12:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Gold
Thailand Travel

I am not an expert on many of your reward programs, but I have been to Thailand 5 times in the last 2 years. If it were me, I would combine some of my UR with my UA and fly United. RT is 65,000 miles in coach. Generally pretty good award availability and low fees.

A suggested route may be to fly directly into Chang Mai. You can catch a night sleeper train (10 hrs) from Chang Mai to BKK or vice versa for around $30 US. They are really comfortable and can save you a night in a hotel. Air Asia works pretty good for getting from BKK to Phuket on short notice.

Happy Travels

Hello,

I'm a newbie to Flyertalk and I am looking for some advice. I would like to travel to Thailand in mid-November for a much needed vacation. I am hoping to do an open jaw and fly into Chang Mai and out of Phuket (or do the reverse). I plan to see Bangkok as well. I also hope to have a stopver (under 24 hrs okay) on the way. I haven't done much international travel and I have never been to Asia. I have some flexibility and I am traveling alone, so these miles are for one coach ticket.

UA - 11K
US - 88K
AA - 67K
Avios - 68K
UR - 54K
MR - 77K

I'm not sure if I have any choice, but to use USAirways miles for a coach ticket (80K miles) and possibly stop in Zurich or Istanbul, if possible for a few hours. If I keep the stopover under 24 hours, I believe it will be allowed. Do you think it would be better/more availability to try to earn enough to fly on AA (I would only need 3K more for coach)?

I am working toward building up more miles, so I can fly business class for future intl flights.

Thank you so much for any advice you can give me!
Old Aug 8, 2013, 2:59 pm

Thanks again everyone. I have a USAirways booking on hold in Biz class and wondering if the itinerary seems too crazy. I don't have long layovers, just a lot of flights.
I decided to try for business class, but the availibility wasn't great. I did find some biz flights using United's search engine. I booked the following and now I am thinking maybe I should just transfer my UR miles to United and fly coach directly to CNX and do a open jaw on the return from Phuket! I would appreciate your thoughts. This is my first trip to Asia and my first award ticket booked since being a FT member! Thanks for your patience and valuable help!

Nov. 6th
Bos-SFO UA
SFO-ICN OZ
ICN-HKG OZ
Stay in HKG for a couple days.

Buy tix to Thailand (cnx or phuket) or use other airline miles

Nov. 20th
Fly from thailand (cnx or phuket)

HKG-BKK TG
BKK-IST TK
Stopver in IST for couple days

Nov. 23rd
IST-MUC TK
MUC-BOS LH
Old Aug 8, 2013, 3:46 pm

Thanks again everyone. I have a USAirways booking on hold in Biz class and wondering if the itinerary seems too crazy. I don't have long layovers, just a lot of flights.
I decided to try for business class, but the availibility wasn't great. I did find some biz flights using United's search engine. I booked the following and now I am thinking maybe I should just transfer my UR miles to United and fly coach directly to CNX and do a open jaw on the return from Phuket! I would appreciate your thoughts. This is my first trip to Asia and my first award ticket booked since being a FT member! Thanks for your patience and valuable help!
Business class... they could be routing you via Mongolia and my answer would not change.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 9:11 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by moondog
Business class... they could be routing you via Mongolia and my answer would not change.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
I've been booking reward tickets to Asia for 3-4 years now. United almost always has good availability. Delta almost never (tho I finally scored one last year, but it took forever to find and book it).

I'd go with United. United pairs w Thai airlines so you can get to Chaing Mai and open-jaw out of Phuket. They usually route me via Japan which isn't my fav spot for a layover, but you might be able to score a HKG layover. Bangkok is always a hard to book destination but it seems easy to score tickets flying thru it - so your strategy may work out well.

Let us know what you sort out.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 10:15 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA Ex Plat
I just got back 2 days ago from Phuket. I used UA for 120k miles in business with an 8 day stop over in Paris on the return and 23 hr layover in bankok on the outbound. You have various options but I would reconsider your choice for coach as this is a loong flight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.