FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Information Desk (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk-730/)
-   -   Destination: Thailand from North America [Consolidated] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk/1318793-destination-thailand-north-america-consolidated.html)

jpez Feb 27, 2012 7:49 pm

Destination: Thailand from North America [Consolidated]

Hello everyone,

Thanks for any help in advance. I am looking to plan a trip to Thailand with my boyfriend, sometime in November (perhaps over Thanksgiving) for a couple weeks.

I am definitely a newbie at this - my apologies - and I am looking for a bit of help planning out how exactly to fund my flights on miles. I will be flying from Boston, and have about 2-3 weeks to kill for vacation... I am happy to fly from anywhere in the US, if I can get the trip to Thailand and back to the US on miles.

I currently have an Aadvantage Citicard (Visa), but only about 20K miles on AA. I don't have any other airlines credit cards, but I am open to opening some (and so is my significant other) if it helps fund our flights. Ideally, I'd be able to wait till June or July to open these cards (I'd like to not have any inquiries on my credit report for the next couple months).

Ultimately, I don't know what the best routes are from the US to Thailand, nor do I know what airlines cover these routes (for example, I know AA miles can be used for a number of different airlines, but I'm not exactly sure how).

I obviously would love a business or higher class ticket, but I am okay with flying economy as well... as long as I get there!

Sorry for my ignorance! Any help with this - or any Thailand wisdom in general - would be absolutely appreciated! Thank you very much.

xp0 Feb 27, 2012 8:11 pm

I'd recommend starting the sign-ups now to get the miles asap so you can book the flights. Points dont come over night and the amount you need will require multiple cards which will require a hefty spend requirement that also isnt going to be completed over night. You have a journey ahead of you, and giving yourself a month or two isnt going to cut it.

Just sayin'

biggestbopper Feb 27, 2012 8:59 pm

You don't have near enough miles to get Thailand, so you are, indeed, going to need some more credit cards with bonuses.

Perhaps you (and SO) should look into each getting a Citi AA Amex (there was a 50K bonus offer recently) and a Chase Sapphire Preferred and INK Bold biz card. Each have a 50K bonus in Chase points that convert 1 to 1 to UAL miles.

You will be flying into BKK from the US, may have to change planes in Tokyo or elsewhere which is a good change for a stopover. You may be able to use the mileage tickets to go to Chang Mai or another destination in Thailand at no extra cost, so that is something to consider.

Enjoy your trip. :D

guv1976 Feb 27, 2012 9:02 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

AA charges 70K miles per person for a Coach roundtrip between North America and Thailand. Likely routing would be via Tokyo, using Japan Airlines on to BKK, or Cathay Pacific via HKG.

A Business Class roundtrip costs 110K AAdvantage miles per person.

yoonny Feb 27, 2012 10:05 pm

November is great time to visit Thailand.

AA miles via Japan is one option as mentioned above.
If you sign up for cards that earn/convert to United or US Air miles, you can also use star alliance for 65K miles coach or 120K miles business. In this case you will most likely go to either JFK or LAX then to Japan (ANA) or Korea (Asiana) and connect to BKK. You can also fly over the Atlantic ocean via a hub for Lufthansa/Swiss/Turkish/Singapore and connect to BKK. Redemption availability will probably determine your choice of which airline/route to fly.

Nov 28th is a holiday that you shouldn't miss: Loy Krathong. It is an evening when Thais pay respect to the goddess of the waters by floating candlelit offerings on any and all waterways around the kingdom. The sight is magical.

strummerjones Feb 27, 2012 10:41 pm

Another Star Alliance option is Air China, which flies from JFK, SFO & LAX to Beijing with connecting service to Bangkok and Phuket. Asiana also flies to Bangkok & Phuket, but ANA only flies to Bangkok. Unfortunately Thai will soon end its direct Bangkok to LA flight and reduce the number of flights to LA (its only US gateway) from 5 to 4 per week, effective May 1. This may limit your options or at least add an extra leg in your itinerary. For instance, I had an award ticket with an outbound flight on Asiana from LAX to Phuket, connecting in Seoul, and a return on Thai from Chiang Mai with a stopover in Bangkok for a couple days then back to LA. Starting in May there would be a stop in Seoul on that return leg. Regardless, you'll have a great time there. Best of luck.

needtoescape Feb 27, 2012 11:24 pm

Other posts have done a good job of outlining the airlines and routes, but I wanted to point out a few things that I did not see mentioned and may be helpful:

1) AA is part of the OneWorld alliance, and AA miles can be used to book flights on these partner airlines (e.g., CX, JAL)

2) United and USAirways are part of the Star Alliance

3) AA and United both allow you to book one way award tickets for half the round trip mileage.

4) I also would recommend you get miles into your FF accounts ASAP, since the award seats are limited. If you don't fly much and aren't going to apply for credit cards for a few months, there are a couple of other options if you happen to have cash or other assets you are willing to put into a banking or investment account.. Refer to the popular thread in this forum on Fidelity bonuses, and check the AA forum for more information about BankDirect.

5) Check out the credit card thread (sticky) on this forum to see the sign up bonuses and spend requirements for different credit cards and plan accordingly. The United MileagePlus Explorer card is a nice option because it is 50K miles for your first purchase, while some of the other credit cards require much larger minimum spends to earn the bonus.

Hope this helps.

CVG_Kid Feb 27, 2012 11:28 pm

Been to Thailand many times over the past 12 years. Feel free to PM.

As you already have American I'd stick with it if your existing card is older than two years. If that's the case I'd do the two browser trick for 50k x2 and follow it up a few months later with a business card. That should pump your balance to 170k in short order.

I prefer Cathay Pacific business to Bangkok; an American OneWorld partner. You can find availability via BA.com

I'm currently working on a mid-March itinerary on Korean but it's only for the challenge of flushing those worthless SkyPesos.

jhflau11 Feb 28, 2012 6:50 am

Mentioned already. Since you are on the east coast Star Alliance to Europe to Thailand. I just did this back in January. I went IAD-FRA-BKK one way booked on Continental flew on a combination of Lufthansa/Thai.

The two of you signing up for the United MileagePlus Explorer and Chase Sapphire Preferred will get you most of the way there.

nwflyboy Feb 29, 2012 8:20 pm

Much good info has already been posted, but I would stress: you have no time to waste - if you dates are not very flexible, you're already late to the game, and it's going to take you some time to generate the miles you need.

Keep in mind that you probably will need to spread out your credit card applications - signing up for a fistful of cards in a short time is a great way to get denied and ding your credit score. There are some good cards available right now, I'd do some fast research to come up with your general plan (which system you're going to focus on and how you'll get the needed miles), then hit it hard and fast. Since it's going to take you at least a couple of months to actually acquire the miles that you hope to get even from the cards you apply for very soon, realistically you may not be able to actually book seats until the April/May/June timeframe, so you may need some luck to pull this off even if you do everything right starting tomorrow morning.

My own view is that scoring award seats on a trip like this (I've taken award trips to Thailand more than a few times) requires 1) planning far, far in advance (I try to book my seats 10-11 months ahead), and 2) being very flexible on travel dates (I avoid holiday periods, you're trying for one), and 3) knowing all my options.

You should have started this last summer and you've got some homework to do. Time to get cracking.

frebay Mar 2, 2012 10:40 am

Originally Posted by CVG_Kid (Post 18094691)
Been to Thailand many times over the past 12 years. Feel free to PM.

As you already have American I'd stick with it if your existing card is older than two years. If that's the case I'd do the two browser trick for 50k x2 and follow it up a few months later with a business card. That should pump your balance to 170k in short order.

I prefer Cathay Pacific business to Bangkok; an American OneWorld partner. You can find availability via BA.com

I'm currently working on a mid-March itinerary on Korean but it's only for the challenge of flushing those worthless SkyPesos.

How do I find more information about the "2 browser trick"

CVG_Kid Mar 2, 2012 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by frebay (Post 18118469)
How do I find more information about the "2 browser trick"

The Two Browser Trick

frebay Mar 2, 2012 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by CVG_Kid (Post 18121361)

wow, this is awesome. thank you!

Modesassion Mar 2, 2012 8:23 pm

My Delta story ... and BA with AA to BKK

I have pulled off a trip on Delta (pre NWA) BOS NRT via ATL using Skymiles and a separte Business Class NRT BKK on Korean via Seoul using Skymiles. I cannot remember the cost in miles but it was a great value. Now that Delta has those old NWA routes into BKK DL will get you here direct through NRT, but if you can get to Asia on one itinerary and look for Business Class reward flights within Asia on partner airlines for second itinerary you can sometimes come out ahead, especially if you are willing to fly coach over the Pacific.

But to remain on topic, can anyone outline BA Avios in relation to AA miles on this itinerary?

I have both programs and the BA companion certificate. Not sure if BA cards would be able to help out this Damsel. Some of the issues and questions that I am confused on and would love some help on are:

Will YQ (fuel surcharge) on BA flights negate any "fun" or savings flying BA metal?

Will AA accept Avios, and as well, will Cathay accept Avios?

Is there a smart way to use Avios and the BA companion certificate not being based in UK? I believe the companion cert is only good on BA metal.

I think that the advice given re:AA and partners is First Class, Thank You! Any body willing to extend this thread to other ways and other programs(dare I shutter the word Delta) on this route and similar (NE USA to HGK, BKK, SIN)

One Last Thought

NRT makes for a GREAT! Though not inexpensive layover if you split up the trip between 2 awards like I mentioned above. It is really an other worldly experience to go from a jetlagged 36 hours of sushi and Japanese culture to land a number of hours later in the wonderfully vibrant perfumed streets of Bangkok.

BTW. I make this trip with my Thai/American Wife.

pgary Mar 3, 2012 3:22 pm

I have flown San Francisco to Bangkok twice. This December I had a very nice business class ticket on Cathay Pacific San Francisco to Hong Kong, then Hong Kong to Bangkok. Flat bed seats, good, food, good service, good entertainment. Available for 100,000 American or Alaska Airlines miles.

A few years ago I flew San Francisco to Korea on United Airlines, stayed overnight at a local hotel, then on to Bangkok the next day on Thai Air. Very nice for recovery from jet lag, with an arrival time mid afternoon. Return on Thai Air to Japan, 4 day layover, then back to San Francisco on All Nippon (ANA). All relatively comfortable for the time, all for the miles cost of one Star Alliance ticket from United.