Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Destination: Thailand from North America [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

It's been reported that there are no fuel surcharges when redeeming BA Avios for flights on Air Berlin.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:51 am

Programs: UA-1k, AA-EXP, SPG-Plat
It seems that aa to Asia would be an efficient use of points
Old Feb 6, 2013, 9:25 am

The worst part of using BA Avios miles is the TransAtlantic crossing via London, even though you are using miles for a "free tx" the fees can often cost more than getting a cheap ticket on line for the same route. Not sure within travel in Europe what fees are as I've not tried.
July in Italy is ok compare to July in Thailand where its very hot and sticky as this is still their hot season.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:14 am
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
40k RT would have lower fees since you are not using BA metal (aer lingus)
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:24 am

Oh man - I didn't think about the weather. Of course Bangkok would be unbearable in July. I wonder - Shanghai is pretty up north. Let me check weather there.

So then back to Europe. Would love to share Italy with the girls, maybe if I shift it up to last week of June.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:30 am

Programs: Several dozen
I'd take Italy then over Thailand. Thailand is better Dec-Feb. Italy will be warm, so consider the islands and coasts.

Originally Posted by Homer15
Italy will be hot in July but I think Thailand will be brutally hot.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:33 am

Programs: Several dozen
If July, also consider throwing in Switzerland.

Also, think about Barcelona which can also be paired with Andorra.

Originally Posted by alka12
Oh man - I didn't think about the weather. Of course Bangkok would be unbearable in July. I wonder - Shanghai is pretty up north. Let me check weather there.

So then back to Europe. Would love to share Italy with the girls, maybe if I shift it up to last week of June.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:16 am

Italy

What are the partner options to fly to Italy using AA miles?? I have tried to book but I am being directed to BA codeshare flights through London with that high fee. I know I have to avoid London but can I use AA miles on AB and or IB?? How do I search for availability of these airlines??
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

IB award flights will not show up on aa.com; you must call AA to book them.

AB award flights will show up on aa.com, but you'd have to check to see which Italian airports AB actually serves from DUS and TXL.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:37 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
I'm not a fan of using BA/AA miles to Europe in general because majority of convenient routing, as well as premium product, will be via BA/AA and their stupid "surcharge".

If Japan is not on your list, perhaps you can consider it. Weather wise, won't be as miserable as Thailand, and culturally, quite a different exposure than European or Latin American. Redemption wise, your best bet as AA/BA miles would get you either AA or JL premium cabins and most importantly, won't have the ridiculous surcharges. So ultimately you will have 2 carriers that can get you there easily (however Avios redemption requires additional mileage for each segment).

Also, intra-Japan flights using Avios is a great redemption; 4500 one way from TYO to KIX/ITM... much cheaper than paying airfare or buying tix for Shinkansen.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
I'm not a fan of using BA/AA miles to Europe in general because majority of convenient routing, as well as premium product, will be via BA/AA and their stupid "surcharge".

Also, intra-Japan flights using Avios is a great redemption; 4500 one way from TYO to KIX/ITM... much cheaper than paying airfare or buying tix for Shinkansen.
I just did that routing. I used BA Avios points to fly all over Japan, Korea, and the region! WAAAAY cheaper than the Shinkansen! I was very pleased with the value I got out of those miles.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:46 am

Programs: DL Diamond
deleted
Old Feb 6, 2013, 2:48 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Originally Posted by AnitaBryant63
I just did that routing. I used BA Avios points to fly all over Japan, Korea, and the region! WAAAAY cheaper than the Shinkansen! I was very pleased with the value I got out of those miles.
agreed. can fly from say tokyo to osaka for 4500 avois. cant beat that
Old Feb 6, 2013, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
Not totally accurate. BA will charge the surchage on either BA or AA flights. But AA will only charge the surchange on BA flights. AA flights booked with AA miles do not have the surcharge.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 7:03 pm
In memoriam

I've been to Shanghai and Toyko in July. I would work hard to avoid doing it again. Really, really hot and really, really humid. Not to mention polluted. Only place I have ever had worse summer weather was Delhi.

Bangkok may be a LITTLE better. We were in Bangkok one summer and quickly took off for the beach - Koi Samui which was hot but bearable.

Why not France or Northern Italy/Switzerland?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.