Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Destination: Thailand from North America [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2013, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by sharka
Flown with them several times.
1)Its a pay as you go airline= pay for everything: luggage based on weight as only a small limited carry on is free, food, etc. (not sure about toilet tissue on board but wouldnt be surprise)

2)Seats are cramp not matter what you book as I suspect they are made mainly for their mostly Asian customer"s sizes--good news is dont worry about it as most of their flights are short hops and its over before you could cramp up.

3)Super cheap prices and sometimes even free seats and just pay for their taxes/fees when they have their promotions. I once booked Bkk to Phuket for $21 all in 2 years ago.

Hope this helps
On the up side, the planes are big with a lot of seats, usually unoccupied. I have flown 3 times, and every time, I had 3 seats for myself.
Old May 26, 2013, 8:00 am

Best Strategy NYC to Thailand

Hello and thanks to all for a great forum. I'm quite new to this whole miles business and have been mostly lurking here but I've learned a great deal so far thanks to all the helpful people.

In early March I applied for 3 Amex cards(MB Plat, PRG and BRG) and just completed the BRG 10k spend for a total of around 190k MR.

I'm looking to devise a strategy for another AOR next month concentrating on Miles that will get my wife and I from NYC to Thailand next year in Business or First.

My current holdings are:

Amex MB Plat
Amex BRG
Amex PRG
Amex Costco
Amex Macys
Chase Freedom(opened 03/2011)
Chase Amazon(opened 03/2012)
A couple of Capital One cards from years ago.

I pay in full every month and carry $0 balances.

MyFico score 765
Experian 748
AAoA 6 years

I think the only negative is that Experian is showing 6 hard pulls dating back to 03/2012 but only 2 hard pulls in the past 3 months.

I know I need to start building some Chase UR points and perhaps some hotel points too, but I'm not exactly sure which is the best way with so many different choices.

Ink Bold
Ink Plus
Chase Sapphire Preferred
Mileage Plus Explorer
US Airways MasterCard
Lufthansa MasterCard
British Airways Visa
Amex SPG and Delta Cards
Barclay Cards
Citi AAdvantage Cards
SouthWest
Hyatt
Hilton
Marriott
Etc...

I Would like to apply for 4 or 5 or even 6 of these cards if I can pull it off.

Can anyone recommend a strategy that I can pursue?

Meeting spends would not be a problem.

Thanks for reading and thanks for any suggestions!
Old May 26, 2013, 1:20 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Honestly, I would enlist one of the travel bloggers to help you. I'm sure they would jump at the chance if you promised to use their links.
Old May 26, 2013, 2:05 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
United 120K RT (Business) or 140K (First) will get you Thailand RT. United Explorer gets you 55K (with SM), United Business gets you 50K (with SM), each with only $1K spend. Then there are all the Chase UR cards that can transfer to United (Ink, Sapphire, etc).

We did 140K for 2 of us there in first next year (United and Thai, hoping to switch to Lufthansa and Thai with 2 weeks out), and then 135K AA for 2 back in first on Cathay (plus we get 10K back on that because we have the AA credit cards). AA has multiple credit cards still with 50K signup bonus.
Old May 26, 2013, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

where in thailand?

for example >
ICN-CNX = KE
ICN-HKT = OZ / KE + OZ / KE / TG
HKG-HKT = CX + KA / TG

F suites = OZ and JL

SQ stops A345 on nov 24 2013, not sure whether there has been replacement discussion

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 26, 2013 at 3:43 pm
Old May 26, 2013, 3:35 pm

You've decided to go heavy on AMEX so, with that in mind, personally I would consider focusing on Avios from JFK to HKG (420K for 2 in F iirc) and HKG to BKK (60K for 2 in J) = 480K round-trip for 2. You would need ~356K MR points to get the amount needed for these tickets. This assumes that there will be a transfer bonus (35%) AND no devaluation between now and then.

You could also use UR cards plus the BA to get more Avios but, in my opinion, I'd leave the Chase bullets for hotels once you figure out your preferred lodging program. However, if the BA 100K card returns, you'd almost have to get that as that would lower the MR points needed by a healthy amount also assuming that you like Cathay as much as I do.
Old May 28, 2013, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Travelergcp
Honestly, I would enlist one of the travel bloggers to help you. I'm sure they would jump at the chance if you promised to use their links.
Thanks for the advice. I've been reading some of the blog sites and trying to learn as I go..

Originally Posted by yoshapman
United 120K RT (Business) or 140K (First) will get you Thailand RT. United Explorer gets you 55K (with SM), United Business gets you 50K (with SM), each with only $1K spend. Then there are all the Chase UR cards that can transfer to United (Ink, Sapphire, etc).

We did 140K for 2 of us there in first next year (United and Thai, hoping to switch to Lufthansa and Thai with 2 weeks out), and then 135K AA for 2 back in first on Cathay (plus we get 10K back on that because we have the AA credit cards). AA has multiple credit cards still with 50K signup bonus.
Thanks. I like your plan. I'm hoping I can get in on the AA 50K signups too.

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
where in thailand?

for example >
ICN-CNX = KE
ICN-HKT = OZ / KE + OZ / KE / TG
HKG-HKT = CX + KA / TG

F suites = OZ and JL

SQ stops A345 on nov 24 2013, not sure whether there has been replacement discussion
Looking to get to Bangkok first. I see KE has daily flights to ICN on their A380. Would love to go that way. Thanks for your ideas.

Originally Posted by Oreto
You've decided to go heavy on AMEX so, with that in mind, personally I would consider focusing on Avios from JFK to HKG (420K for 2 in F iirc) and HKG to BKK (60K for 2 in J) = 480K round-trip for 2. You would need ~356K MR points to get the amount needed for these tickets. This assumes that there will be a transfer bonus (35%) AND no devaluation between now and then.

You could also use UR cards plus the BA to get more Avios but, in my opinion, I'd leave the Chase bullets for hotels once you figure out your preferred lodging program. However, if the BA 100K card returns, you'd almost have to get that as that would lower the MR points needed by a healthy amount also assuming that you like Cathay as much as I do.
Thanks Oreto, hoping the BA 100K bonus comes back again soon. I'm on the fence right now with their current 35% MR transfer bonus.

Thanks again to everyone, appreciate all your advice.
Old May 28, 2013, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Dean19
Looking to get to Bangkok first. I see KE has daily flights to ICN on their A380. Would love to go that way. Thanks for your ideas
KE does indeed fly to/from BKK, but you might want to consider going into / out of HKG instead. HKG is in a cheaper region according to KE's award chart (Northeast Asia vs. Southeast Asia for BKK), so it might be worth stopping in HKG, and then figuring out a cheap alternative to get between there and BKK.

Award chart: http://www.koreanair.com/local/na/gd...sp_rm_ka03.jsp
Old May 28, 2013, 10:29 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA Ex Plat
I'm doing JFK to Bangkok to Phuket in July 13 and used UR points to transfer to United 120k points in business with a stop over on the return in Paris for 8 days. Apped for Sapphire 50k, Ink bold 50k, Ink plus 50k, and had some decent spend on all three to build up about 350k points in total..more than enough for the 240k Unted miles I needed for me and my GF
Old May 31, 2013, 9:08 am

Very Flexible: DC/NYC to BKK

Hi Everyone,

After a brief hiatus from international travel (the hiatus just had her third birthday), my wife and I are looking to take another trip to South-East Asia (we've been several times). I'd like this one to be FlyerTalk-style (the hiatus will be staying with her grandparents).

We're very flexible. I live in DC and work in NYC, so we could fly out of IAD, DCA, BWI, JFK, or EWR. We'll be visiting friends in Bangkok, so won't need lodging, and want to visit sometime in the next 10 months or so.

I'm currently working on the BGR 75k MR point deal, which will bring our balances up to the following:

MR: 130k me
Delta: 185k me, 85k her
United: 110k her
US Air: 80k me
SPG: 50k total
UR: 65k

Cards I currently have:

SPG AmEx
BGR AmEx
Zync
Blue Cash Legacy
Discover
Sapphire Preferred

Cards my wife has:

SPG AmEx
Discover
Mileage Plus Explorer

Neither of us have any apps/declines/cancelled cards. We do about $4k per month of normal credit card spend we can put on whatever card we want / need to.

I'd mainly like to fly us in business or first. Could buy a coach ticket and use points to upgrade if need be, although I'd rather get the whole thing on points if the redemption values are good.

The two main options I see are MR points to Delta / a Delta partner and do that, or UR points to United and fly them / a United Partner (US air is in the same Alliance, right?). I don't really know the partners or who flies what routes, though, nor do I know who has good business or first service, or who offers decent value for points.
Old May 31, 2013, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA Silver
I just booked a similar routing looking at all those US airports. I think UA and their search tool is very helpful. Before you commit, go to UA.com and play wiht some routings...the star network has a lot to offer...we are jfk-zrh-bkk-sgn-bkk-mkp-ewr. All in business and then waiting for a first class opening to clear, which I am having someone monitor for me...worth it. I started looking more than 331 in advance just to see how the airlines were opening seat. No guarantee they will always open seats that way.
Old May 31, 2013, 6:05 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by milesmuncher
KE does indeed fly to/from BKK, but you might want to consider going into / out of HKG instead. HKG is in a cheaper region according to KE's award chart (Northeast Asia vs. Southeast Asia for BKK), so it might be worth stopping in HKG, and then figuring out a cheap alternative to get between there and BKK.

Award chart: http://www.koreanair.com/local/na/gd...sp_rm_ka03.jsp
Originally Posted by xxpert
I'm doing JFK to Bangkok to Phuket in July 13 and used UR points to transfer to United 120k points in business with a stop over on the return in Paris for 8 days. Apped for Sapphire 50k, Ink bold 50k, Ink plus 50k, and had some decent spend on all three to build up about 350k points in total..more than enough for the 240k Unted miles I needed for me and my GF
Great tips, many thanks! I'm hoping Chase plays nice with me applying for 3 cards on same day.
Old May 31, 2013, 11:51 pm

If you're open to spending a few days in Australia/NZ, US Airways 110k business class with stopover in BKK. Could do one 35k US Airways card each and wait for their next 100% buy miles promotion to get the remainder at ~$1400.
That's pretty much what I did with the May promotion, just booked the award.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 12:06 am

star alliance. use her UA points for one ticket, then book the other using US air or UA. You'll either hav to get a new CC or transfer SPG points to US Air.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 6:21 am

Anything keeping me from transferring MR points to SPG, then the SPG points to United? Probably not the best point value there, I suppose.

I may get her a Chase Ink card or Sapphire Preferred for the United miles. We both have great credit and not a lot of apps recently (1 each in the past 12 months).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.