Destination: Thailand from North America [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Destination: Thailand from North America [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2013, 4:54 pm

ATL to Phuket Thailand help May 2014

I am new to FF miles and I have 40,000 AA and 70,000 UR. I can purchase tickets to jfk or other but can I get to Phuket or part of the way? How short of miles am I? I looked on AA but it came back no availability .Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old Aug 11, 2013, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Welcome to FT!

You would have to call AA to check award availability to HKT. You have enough miles for a one-way Coach ticket, if there is availability.

You can convert your UR points to UA miles for a one-way award in the other direction. You can check current award availability on UA and its partners at united.com.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA:EXP, GLD:A.Argen., Etihad; Turk SIL:UA, VS; HOT.GLD:ClubC, Loews, SPG; PL:Ritz, Hil, IHG, BtW., R
Atl to phuket thai help may 2014

Yes, for 67,500 ( last time I checked ) you can go on Cathay PAcific JFK-HKG-Pukett. The JFK-Pukett on cathey in first ( book Budiness, first ususlly opens up a couple days before, and make sure you have a long layover in Hong Kong ,so you have flexibility to take any flight and the 2-class short hot to Pukett will be locked in .,..first in Cathay is AMAZINzg..
Return, will take 72,500 UA miles and you can go Pukett first on Thai to Frankfurt ( very nice experience as well, buy the points if you have to )... Take a voluntary downgrade to business if first is not available and go on the newish A-380, Frankfurt-JFK or Sfo one way. You will have traveled around the world. You may have to be a but pushy at Lufthansa, and for God's sakes make sure you purchase first class thought *A, the Germans ( even thought the difference in miles is not that great) ,will upgrade you back to first of you have paid the 72,500, if you have not you will go in business and forget the Lufthansa first class . Which is a very move experience indeed ! I did it 2 years ago. Great travel experience.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA:EXP, GLD:A.Argen., Etihad; Turk SIL:UA, VS; HOT.GLD:ClubC, Loews, SPG; PL:Ritz, Hil, IHG, BtW., R
Atl to phuket thai help may 2014

PS. I never got any availability booking pn the Internet but especially if you are elite with either AA or US( using the iPhone version so can't remember your elite stats if you mentioned). Happy flying!
Old Aug 11, 2013, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by rodsren
Yes, for 67,500 ( last time I checked ) you can go on Cathay PAcific JFK-HKG-Pukett. The JFK-Pukett on cathey in first ( book Budiness, first ususlly opens up a couple days before, and make sure you have a long layover in Hong Kong ,so you have flexibility to take any flight and the 2-class short hot to Pukett will be locked in .,..first in Cathay is AMAZINzg..
Return, will take 72,500 UA miles and you can go Pukett first on Thai to Frankfurt ( very nice experience as well, buy the points if you have to )... Take a voluntary downgrade to business if first is not available and go on the newish A-380, Frankfurt-JFK or Sfo one way. You will have traveled around the world. You may have to be a but pushy at Lufthansa, and for God's sakes make sure you purchase first class thought *A, the Germans ( even thought the difference in miles is not that great) ,will upgrade you back to first of you have paid the 72,500, if you have not you will go in business and forget the Lufthansa first class . Which is a very move experience indeed ! I did it 2 years ago. Great travel experience.
The OP only has 40,000 AA miles; that's not enough for Business or First to Asia, only Coach.

The reason you never found availability on aa.com to HKT is that aa.com is not capable of displaying award-seat availability on either CX ot MH, the two AA partners that fly to HKT from Asia. You must call AA to check award-seat availability on those carriers, unless you use some website other than AA's. (AA has other partners that fly to HKT from Europe and the Middle East, but an AA award from North America to Asia does not permit travel via the Atlantic.)
Old Aug 11, 2013, 9:46 pm

Yes you have enough and no you don't need to book a flight to JFK.

Transfer 65,000 UR points to United Airlines

Round Trip ATL to Phuket will cost you 32,500 each way or 65,000 round trip for a saver award

Once transferred to United search for your flights by clicking "Award Travel"

Easy peasy - good luck!
Old Aug 11, 2013, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SzatRyan
Yes you have enough and no you don't need to book a flight to JFK.

Transfer 65,000 UR points to United Airlines

Round Trip ATL to Phuket will cost you 32,500 each way or 65,000 round trip for a saver award

Once transferred to United search for your flights by clicking "Award Travel"

Easy peasy - good luck!
And what if he transfers the points and then can't find award seats on his desired dates?

Always check availability first; transfer afterwards. If the OP has to fly one way with AA miles and one way with UA miles, AA will hold an award reservation for up to five days, free of charge.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 11:18 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976

And what if he transfers the points and then can't find award seats on his desired dates?

Always check availability first; transfer afterwards.
Correct, and you should be able to transfer instantly in another window while you have the reservation ready to book.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 6:22 am

Are the fees expensive on United?

I have the avail to get a delta non rev tix Norita but I want a confirmed seat. Thanks so much for all your feedback!
Old Aug 13, 2013, 6:09 am

Nyc-bud//kbp or bkk//-nyc

I am thinking of doing nyc to bud. Stop. Then do kbp or maybe bkk. Stop. Then come back to nyc in F. If i do kbp instead of bkk, i can fly coach or business. Doesnt have to be F. I have miles in amex mr, ur, aa, ua, us, spg.

How should i book this?

I was thinking of booking lufthansa at last min and try to catch F for bud and back and just pay cash between bud and kbp.

I can use usairways but i ant to save those pts and save spg pts.

Is there a better option between bud/kbp?

What if i decide to do bud-bkk-nyc?
Was thinking of doing rt with ua pts and do a stop at bkk.

I
Old Aug 17, 2013, 2:49 pm

Help -Wedding Award flights IAH-USM

Hello all,

I will be booking my first award flights after my 1st churn and would love some advice if you can help.

Quick background:
-I have accrued the following miles and am now trying to book flights for my fiance and I for our wedding/honeymoon.
-I have also helped my mother accrue miles for her trip to the wedding.
-My fiance and I are currently short some miles but we are willing to buy Ultimate Rewards points or United Miles but prefer not too if it can be avoided.
-Would like to book my mother in First with her miles, if possible utilizing her Membership Rewards into the plan. She would then be able to transfer her left over Ultimate Rewards and/or United miles points to us and we could book in First also.

Mother -
45K - Amex Membership Rewards (would like to transfer to a Star Alliance member to combine with her other miles)
40K - Ultimate Rewards
100K - United Miles
Prefer to fly First, but Business with fully lie-flat seating would also be okay.

Us
110K - Ultimate Rewards
110K - United Miles Ultimate Rewards
Prefer to fly First, but Business with fully lie-flat seating would also be okay.

Route

Departure - IAH to USM (Koh Samui)
No preference for airline,or routing, would just like a good Biz or First class product.
Ideal Departure date = between October 28th thru November 3rd
Could also push departure earlier or later. Wedding November 9th, would like to be there by the 5th at the latest.

Return - USM to IAH (via UK LHR, LGW, MAN. Need to stay in the UK 1 fweek for a UK reception before finishing return flight to IAH

I hope this is the right forum, please accept my apologies if it is not.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 3:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
I asked the Moderator to move your question to MilesBuzz or similar, where you may find a better answer.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 3:43 pm

Thank you for the help. :-)
Old Aug 20, 2013, 8:42 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
I'm not familar with Thailand, nor do I know if you can route through Europe on South Asia -> US. However, United's award chart shows 120k miles for business and 140k for first. It sounds like you have the perfect amount of miles to book 3 business class roundtrips.

Here's what you can do mile-wise, but PLEASE make sure you find availability before making these transfers.

Have your mom transfer 20k Ultimate Rewards to her United account. That will give her 120k United miles.

Have your mom transfer 20k Ultimate Rewards to either your UR or your United account. Transfer your Ultimate Rewards to your United account. That should give you 240k United miles. Note, I don't know how your miles are split between your account and your fiance's. If you each already have miles in your United account, you will need to make sure you transfer such that each of you end up with 120k. If only one of you currently has United miles, I would top up that account to 240k so you can book 2 tickets on the same PNR.

I'll leave it to someone with more experience in the area to give you flight suggestions.

Have fun. I'll be booking my own honeymoon to Greece and Turkey with my United miles soon!
Old Aug 27, 2013, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by mattp1987
I'm not familar with Thailand, nor do I know if you can route through Europe on South Asia -> US.
Yes, you can.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.