COVID19: Testing (and vaccination) Requirements to enter India

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

COVID19: Testing (and vaccination) Requirements to enter India

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2021, 10:41 pm

Programs: QA Gold, Oneworld Sapphire
IAD-DOH-GOI. I did my test at CVS (2-5 days turnaround) earlier, so thanks for the suggestion, I also did a backup at Curative(1-2 days) just in case. They have RT-PCR as well, I confirmed at my testing, so I'm relieved about that as it wasn't on their website. I think I should have at least one of these results by Fri evening Thanks for your replies!
Old Apr 3, 2021, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by starryeyedscientist
IAD-DOH-GOI. I did my test at CVS (2-5 days turnaround) earlier, so thanks for the suggestion, I also did a backup at Curative(1-2 days) just in case. They have RT-PCR as well, I confirmed at my testing, so I'm relieved about that as it wasn't on their website. I think I should have at least one of these results by Fri evening Thanks for your replies!
i just got back to india last night....flew jfk-cdg-del on dl/af....i got my covid test done on the 30th of march in nyc....the result simply says 'pcr' & not 'rt-pcr'....i had the same test results for travel to india that said 'pcr' only in september (jfk-cdg-del) & november (jfk-ams-del) last year....all 3 times i was not asked to present a result that said 'rt-pcr'....

i have a feeling its the ai staff that make a big deal about the words 'rt-pcr'....none of the other airlines cared about this....or atleast dl, af & kl didn't care about this....i have another friend who was traveling on ua & she also got the same test result that said 'pcr' only from the same place i got my result from....even she didn't have a problem with ua....
Old Apr 7, 2021, 8:34 am

Programs: QA Gold, Oneworld Sapphire
Thanks for replying, Keyser. After all my research, I ended up showing an RT-PCR test from Curative in Houston. I got a backup from CVS too just in case. Yes, you're right that the AI officials make a big deal about it from what I've heard, and it seems like QA does not at all (or other airlines, from your experience). So it seems like it just depends on the airlines you take. Anyway, hope these posts help others also flying to India.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 9:09 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
QA? Which airline did you fly on? Qatar (code QR)?
Old Apr 7, 2021, 10:10 pm

Anyone here traveled to Bangalore (BLR) from North America or Europe via Delhi or Mumbai can share approximately how much time it took for you to get out of the airport once your domestic flight landed? I'm trying to understand, now with the COVID-19 test requirements, which I believe also applies to the domestic leg of the journey (DEL - BLR or BOM - BLR) how much additional time I should account for baggage claim, temperature check, test report validation etc.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Just a few points about the nomenclature:

PCR = polymerase chain reaction
RT-PCR = reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction or Real-Time PCR (both are used interchangeably). But in the context of covid testing, probably reverse transcriptase
NAAT = This is an umbrella term that covers PCR, RT-PCR and other techniques like Loop Mediated Amplification (LAMP) and Strand Displacement Amplification (SDA)

On arrival my labcorp result was listed as a NAAT, and didn't have RT-PCR on it anywhere. But luckily the fellow who was reviewing the results didn't seem to care. But knowing the bureacracy of the babus in the Indian Govt, to be on the safe side, try to go to a place that offers RT-PCR.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 10:40 pm

Hi there-on the self declaration form what is the PNR number?

Thanks
Old Jul 29, 2021, 3:59 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

The code of your airline booking/reservation.
travelnewbie likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 3:45 pm

oh. you mean the confirmation code? thank you
Old Aug 1, 2021, 11:20 pm

Thanks for sharing.
Is NAAT test the same as RT-PCR? I cannot find one in US (I am in WA-Seattle).
Old Aug 2, 2021, 3:47 am

Yes, RT-PCR will be accepted.
travelnewbie likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 11:53 am

I'm flying with Lufthansa to Delhi from Frankfurt and then transiting onwards to Chennai. On the LH webpage there seems to be different rules depending on if you fly to Bangalore, Delhi or Mumbai as your first port of entry into India. If you fly to Mumbai you have to quarantine for 7 days. If you fly to Bangalore it says you have to take a PCR test upon arrival. You also have to take a PCR test on arrival in Delhi if your final destination is Delhi. But on point 9 on the info it just says that on internation to domestic transfer I have to present a a negative PCR test report conducted within 72 hours (in case of direct journey from Frankfurt). I have a 5 hour layover and as I understand it I will not be subjected to an arrival test. I have 5 hours between my flights. Has someone done this international / domestic transfer in Delhi recently who can share their experience?
Old Aug 5, 2021, 12:21 pm

I was not asked to do an additional test at Delhi when I arrived last month. In fact, nobody checked my air suvidha form or negative RT-PCR test result at all in Delhi. All they did was stamp everyone's boarding pass as they exited the plane. It did not matter if you were trying to make a domestic connection or if your final destination was Delhi.

Note, your domestic destination may have a separate test requirement (Eg Karnataka/Bangalore or Goa).
Old Aug 5, 2021, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by GMOChicken
I was not asked to do an additional test at Delhi when I arrived last month. In fact, nobody checked my air suvidha form or negative RT-PCR test result at all in Delhi. All they did was stamp everyone's boarding pass as they exited the plane. It did not matter if you were trying to make a domestic connection or if your final destination was Delhi.

Note, your domestic destination may have a separate test requirement (Eg Karnataka/Bangalore or Goa).
That sounds smooth. I guess they don't bother checking because they know that there is virtually no one on that disembarking plane that has not already been tested.

Yes I saw that different states have different testing requirements, but even if my other destination is in another place in India my PCR test which I took prior to embarking on my journey shall be valid for my any domestic transfer, I mean, the PCR test is the best there is. Or are you referring to some other test?
Old Aug 10, 2021, 10:49 pm

Exemption form does not show options for RT-PCR

Originally Posted by txsbeef
Would like to offer my experience. Uploaded the Covid test result on the Air Suvidha site few hours before departure. Got exemption approval within 10 minutes. At Mumbai (BOM) airport, told the first checkpoint that I have the exemption form and they waved me through (without looking at anything) but gave me another form to fill (pretty much repeating the same information I already uploaded on the Air Suvidha site). After clearing immigration and customs, went into a hallway where checkpoints were created and divided according to destination. I went to the line marked "South States" and the lady at the counter asked me for the form I filled out. I doubt she could read anything I wrote in my bad handwriting, but she noted that I had not signed it. So she asked me to sign it and then sent me on my merry way.

So basically no one checks for any Covid Test results or anything.
Thanks for this. I filled in my self declaration form along with an upload of my RT-PCR TEST and trying to fill in my exemption form but my exemption form is not showing options for RT-PCR testing. Did I miss something? I am flying from USA to Mumbai. Any advice/input will be great thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.