India visa-on-arrival for tourists from 5 countries [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

India visa-on-arrival for tourists from 5 countries [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2011, 7:37 am

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
This (arresting people who submit fake visa paperwork) actually happens quite regularly. Anybody detected at the consulate with fake paperwork - the consulate staff just call the cop doing security duty outside and he arrests the guy. For example - http://www.canadaupdates.com/content...ons-15800.html

Originally Posted by abcx
I think I remember reading statistics that 1/3rd of the applications that the Australian embassy received had fake documentation. Just to give you an idea of the amount of fraud that goes on...I think the Indian government should fine/lock these people up. Otherwise the fraud will never reduce and the rest of us honest Indians will continue to be saddled with all these onerous requirements whenever we travel to OECD countries.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 7:48 am

Haha. The Argentinian embassy in DEL is a joke and sure to turn people off from going there. There's water dripping from the roof and paint peeling off the walls and an Indian guy sits there who hardly understands English.

But don't let that turn you off. We just spent 10 days in Argentina and absolutely loved the place and the people. And this visa is free for Indians! So only gas and time cost.
All right, let me tell you the full story. And this was 2007 where I got charged.

I've been to Buenos Aires and I liked what I saw of it. Funny thing - I had to visit EZE for a conference organized by a UN agency and an argentinian government agency. So, sent the application form + usual paperwork most embassies ask for + invite from the UN agency through my TA, as I'm in MAA, the embassy's in DEL.

Got my application rejected. So I had to fly all the way to DEL, then drove like 2 hours across the city to the embassy from my relative's apartment, talked to an indian guy in the basement (probably the same guy you talked to) .. told him again that it was a conference organized by the argentinian government and the UN. He's like "no I dont recognize the UN, give me an argentinian government letter". So I had one faxed over to me. Next thing the guy wanted was an affidavit about the purpose of my trip, attested by a notary public [and this was a standard part of the application process .. printed checklist he gave me].

I wrote the affidavit text on a "stamp paper" and had it signed and stamped by a notary, and produced that along with the argentinian govt letter. This dude then says "no, you must type out the affidavit, I wont accept handwritten affidavits". And "do exactly what I say or you won't get a visa even if you come here every day for the next six months".

So I had to drive off and find a notary in the short time I had before my flight left that evening. And then had to pay a travel agent who was hanging around the embassy to collect my damned visa and express it back to me.

I did contact the conference organizers, who called the embassy and finally sorted it out so I received my passport, with a visa, like 8 hours before I flew out to EZE. After having blown money on a roundtrip ticket MAA-DEL, three days worth of wasted time and several hundred rupees in cab bills, and a few hundred rupees more to pay that DEL TA I had to hire + the courier charges.

Last edited by hserus; Jan 13, 2011 at 8:11 am
Old Jan 13, 2011, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by saad
i'm not talking about the local employees....i'm talking about the people conducting interviews & the people that are US & greek officials....

i've not dealt with the US embassy in florence so i can't comment there but i once had to get my US visa when i lived in london & i remember that to be a pretty unpleasant experience as well....
I've had nothing but professional and pleasant treatment from the actual american visa clerks at MAA. One time - thanks to having my then 10 month old daughter with me for whom I needed a visa besides getting mine, she started crying, so they fast tracked me right to the start of the queue outside (to submit the visa fee checks, initial scrutiny of docs and then the visa clerk).

The guy flipped through my passport which had two or three recent US visas then - I was still at the stage where they were giving me short term B1s (to the accompaniment of some fairly loud crying) and was like "go on home, we'll mail you your visa".

Out of the consulate in under 15 minutes. That's a record I think. And that was when I got my 10 year B1.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 8:57 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by hserus
I've had nothing but professional and pleasant treatment from the actual american visa clerks at MAA. One time - thanks to having my then 10 month old daughter with me for whom I needed a visa besides getting mine, she started crying, so they fast tracked me right to the start of the queue outside (to submit the visa fee checks, initial scrutiny of docs and then the visa clerk).

The guy flipped through my passport which had two or three recent US visas then - I was still at the stage where they were giving me short term B1s (to the accompaniment of some fairly loud crying) and was like "go on home, we'll mail you your visa".

Out of the consulate in under 15 minutes. That's a record I think. And that was when I got my 10 year B1.
Hope u gave ur daughter a great gift for this..she deserved it IMHO
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by hserus
This (arresting people who submit fake visa paperwork) actually happens quite regularly. Anybody detected at the consulate with fake paperwork - the consulate staff just call the cop doing security duty outside and he arrests the guy. For example - http://www.canadaupdates.com/content...ons-15800.html
That headline is misleading. Only one person was arrested:

Also, there has been an arrest of one UK visa applicant for using bogus documents through the joint efforts between Chennai police officials and the UKBA. The arrest was made on 8th October at Chennai office of the UKBA following submission of fake documents along with the UK Tier 1 visa application by an Indian, the press release maintained.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
[

check the link given below..

QUOTE=SQ421;15586209]Depends on how you'd define "extensively".

Here's a list of countries that allow Visa on Arrival for Indian Nationals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_re...ndian_citizens
also check http://www.timaticweb.com/cgi-bin/ti...TAB2C....seems its available for 30days..[/QUOTE]

For this Korean transit w/o visa, you MUST have a DIRECT flight to/from India and one of the five countries on the list.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 2:57 am

+1..
I guess very few ppl are arrested for fake documents..mostly the embassies reject the application and bar them for applications for a certain period in future..though I believe embassies should regularly follow the procedure of reporting to the police and following up for action for fraud documentation and this will go a long way in reducing the number of false applications..
Old Jan 14, 2011, 4:31 am

To be sure. But I see headlines like "some guy arrested at the US consulate and his travel agent / visa provider also arrested for producing fake paperwork". For example - http://www.deccanchronicle.com/chenn...-visa-deal-573
Old Jan 14, 2011, 4:43 am

you think? no, arrests are frequent.

http://www.google.com/search?q=fake+visa+india

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
+1..
I guess very few ppl are arrested for fake documents..mostly the embassies reject the application and bar them for applications for a certain period in future..though I believe embassies should regularly follow the procedure of reporting to the police and following up for action for fraud documentation and this will go a long way in reducing the number of false applications..
Old Jan 25, 2011, 9:53 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
And look like as of today, folks from Indonesia and Myanmar are also eligible for the Visa on Arrival for India.

Indonesia already offers a VOA for Indians, not too sure of the scene in Myanmar.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by quarryking
And look like as of today, folks from Indonesia and Myanmar are also eligible for the Visa on Arrival for India.

Indonesia already offers a VOA for Indians, not too sure of the scene in Myanmar.
Myanmar had VoA for Indians but that has been discontinued for all countries since 1st Sept 2010..
Old Feb 20, 2011, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Any updates on VoA at BOM for US citizens?
Have a choice of flying from CMB to DAC via DEL with 1 hour connection or overnight in BOM.
I don't like my chances of making the 1 hour connection - ever worse if my luggage didn't make it. That is why I would reluctantly take the overnight stay in BOM but only if the VoA issue has been ironed out.
Any advice is appreciated.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 10:47 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
I don't think VoA has yet been extended to US Citizens.

AFAIK, only citizens of the following countries are offered VoA in India

Luxembourg
New Zealand
Singapore
Finland
Cambodia
Laos
Vietnam
Philippines
Myanmar
Indonesia
Cambodia
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by SQ421
+1 .. and IMHO, US is not going to get any VoA facility soon..
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by SQ421
Too bad. Time to devise plan B.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.