India visa-on-arrival for tourists from 5 countries [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

India visa-on-arrival for tourists from 5 countries [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2011, 3:12 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Interestingly, it say's they 'may' get a visa at the border..!!
Old Jan 7, 2011, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by quarryking
i think the use of the word 'may' here means that you have the option of getting the visa at the border....
Old Jan 7, 2011, 3:48 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
I went thru the list in wikipedia.. quite comprehensive and I hope its correct..
China giving 30days visa if holding a valid visa for Australia /canada/schengen/UK/US/Japan.. interesting..
I know of many folks who get a separate Chinese BV even though they have valid visas of one of the above countries and the visit is for smaller periods..
Old Jan 7, 2011, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
I went thru the list in wikipedia.. quite comprehensive and I hope its correct..
China giving 30days visa if holding a valid visa for Australia /canada/schengen/UK/US/Japan.. interesting..
I know of many folks who get a separate Chinese BV even though they have valid visas of one of the above countries and the visit is for smaller periods..
Wasn't aware of this option.. saves one the hassle of having to get a seperate chinese visa...
Old Jan 7, 2011, 5:55 am

Wasn't aware of this option.. saves one the hassle of having to get a seperate chinese visa...
exaclty.. many folks I know are also not aware of this option and considering the hassles in getting visas, this seems welcome..
Old Jan 7, 2011, 6:00 am

In the same way, planning a quick side-trip to Mexico as well, while in the US later in the year...Mexico too allows folks with a valid US visa.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
The Chinese visa-on-arrival is not very convenient. I know somebody who tried it at PEK and even though he eventually got it, it took almost 3 hours to process with lots of questions and bureaucratic double checking. Much easier to get it done from the Embassy if all your documents are in order.

Turkey as well offers a Visa on Arrival for Indian passport holders..?? Didn't know that..!! How many days is the visa valid for..??
30-day single entry for US$20. The visa process took about 20 seconds at Istanbul airport. It is a new policy decision that has been implemented within the last few months. Very convenient - makes Istanbul a legitimate transit option to Dubai on many routes IMHO.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 6:55 am

In the same way, planning a quick side-trip to Mexico as well, while in the US later in the year...Mexico too allows folks with a valid US visa.
exaclty.. VFT or VoA is quite helpful..am sure many many Indians living in US or working in US are not aware of this facilty.. quite good for tourism IMO

Originally Posted by B747-437B
The Chinese visa-on-arrival is not very convenient. I know somebody who tried it at PEK and even though he eventually got it, it took almost 3 hours to process with lots of questions and bureaucratic double checking. Much easier to get it done from the Embassy if all your documents are in order.

30-day single entry for US$20. The visa process took about 20 seconds at Istanbul airport. It is a new policy decision that has been implemented within the last few months. Very convenient - makes Istanbul a legitimate transit option to Dubai on many routes IMHO.
thanks for the update..
+1.. and we can get miles in *A if we want and not restrict to EK..
Old Jan 7, 2011, 12:46 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
More likely,as saad says, the wording "may" is to let travelers know that VOA is available.

OR

Could be a policy wording to state that VOA "may" be available but is at the ultimate discretion of the immigration official processing the same (which is the case with many if not all VOA / VFA countries).
Old Jan 8, 2011, 3:29 am

Gosh I very much feel for you, must have been quite stressful.
There is a big difference between theory and practice, especially in India and I guess one learns it mostly the hard way.

I also agree that India is doing itself a great disservice by making things difficult for visitors and imposing a two-month interval between entries. I had the opportunity to go to India in December but gave up because of this, as I had to be there in January. I didn't want to compromise my chance of not being able to go this month, knowing how difficult it can be. They would have had a tourist willing to visit their country and paying for all the services.

Their loss, not mine...
Old Jan 9, 2011, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
sounds like you had a bad experience stress77....did you get the name of the agent at the embassy who was rude to you????you should definitely file a complaint....also, a complaint against the ignorant agents is also in order....
Old Jan 9, 2011, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly747first
Lately, I have been trying to avoid India as much as possible since I definitely agree that generally India's embassy staff are quite rude and transferring in India is always a pain.
which indian embassy are you talking about????i have come across some unbelievably rude staff at the american & greek embassy here in new delhi....just because a few people are rude doesn't mean the whole embassy is....
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:01 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
Originally Posted by saad
which indian embassy are you talking about????i have come across some unbelievably rude staff at the american & greek embassy here in new delhi....just because a few people are rude doesn't mean the whole embassy is....
the local staffers employed by the various embassies and consulates are worse

like this barely educated guy who was the visa clerk at the argentinian "embassy" (aka basement of the ambassador's villa) in delhi a couple of years back ..
Old Jan 11, 2011, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by stress77
You need a passport photo, which the embassy previously said I didn't (!).
They also want _an original return ticket_! Not a printout of an e-ticket or something like that. It had 3 stamps on it when I saw it.

All in all, it is definately TK's fault that I almost was denied the flight.
The people from Novia really did follow procedure. .
IMHO, the root problem was because of the ignorant folks in CPH and that airport folks didnt know where to check for updated data.. AFAIK, many embassies hv 24hr nos for their citizens to call in case of emergencies.. am not sure how many embassies will agree to send an email to some id at unofficial times for some info which is clearly available at their website or publicly available but this was done in this case..
The valid points u make IMO are that the Indian embassies and govt need to be more tourust friendly, VoA processes needs to be streamlined ..
Airline at the airport or their check in desk doesnt follow procedures and u expect an embassy to come to ur rescue even though they hv clearly mentioned the details in the website.. I wish we as Indians could even dream about it !!

Originally Posted by saad
+1.. only american and greece ?? hv u tried embassies of any Central european countries ..try it out sometime..
Old Jan 11, 2011, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by abcx
Try being Indian and getting a Schengen visa or something similar. It's not any easier. So my apologies, but I think you'll find it hard to elicit sympathy amongst Indians - even the smart ones. Let me assure you your hassles pale in comparison to hassles most Indians face when traveling and/or getting visas.

BTW, one could say the same for the UK government. It's a shame they don't take measures to encourage tourism - what with a $1000 fee for the mere chance of getting a 10yr visa.
+1 ..
Having travelled decently in the past 5 years mostly in Europe , I can fully suscribe to this.. and try getting a schengen visa from any Central and eastern european country .. its gets more interesting..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.