India visa-on-arrival for tourists from 5 countries [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

India visa-on-arrival for tourists from 5 countries [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2011, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by abhilife2001
+1.. only american and greece ?? hv u tried embassies of any Central european countries ..try it out sometime..
i've tried most of them at some point or the other....but the 2 places where i consistently find rude agents are the US & greek embassy....
Old Jan 11, 2011, 7:06 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by saad
i've tried most of them at some point or the other....but the 2 places where i consistently find rude agents are the US & greek embassy....
hmmm.. I guess I am now used to the rude behaviour and hence unless its really bad, I (and some of us) expect it..
Old Jan 11, 2011, 8:54 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by saad
well, in my experience the rude agents I have had the "privilege" to talk to generally tend to be the local employees.

I was quite pleasantly surprised at the US embassy in Florence, when I had to get my visa done. They were much friendlier than any of the folks I had the chance to talk to in India.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 8:57 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by abhilife2001
+1 ..
Having travelled decently in the past 5 years mostly in Europe , I can fully suscribe to this.. and try getting a schengen visa from any Central and eastern european country .. its gets more interesting..
hmm. My experience with the europeans has been quite the opposite. I have actually had a couple of weird issues, (such as there being no expiry date of the work permit document) and then a change of status and both times it got done quite smoothly, and without any issue (and surprisingly without any delay). Of course, it probably helped that I had a few tons of documentation
Old Jan 11, 2011, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by hserus
like this barely educated guy who was the visa clerk at the argentinian "embassy" (aka basement of the ambassador's villa) in delhi a couple of years back ..
Haha. The Argentinian embassy in DEL is a joke and sure to turn people off from going there. There's water dripping from the roof and paint peeling off the walls and an Indian guy sits there who hardly understands English.

But don't let that turn you off. We just spent 10 days in Argentina and absolutely loved the place and the people. And this visa is free for Indians! So only gas and time cost.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by dhavalgiani
I was quite pleasantly surprised at the US embassy in Florence, when I had to get my visa done. They were much friendlier than any of the folks I had the chance to talk to in India.
I get my visas in the US now and most embassies are much nicer than in India. It helps that they have fewer applications since in most cases US citizens don't need visas.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:09 pm

hmm. My experience with the europeans has been quite the opposite. I have actually had a couple of weird issues, (such as there being no expiry date of the work permit document) and then a change of status and both times it got done quite smoothly, and without any issue (and surprisingly without any delay). Of course, it probably helped that I had a few tons of documentation
Tons of documentations is a given.. but good to know about some +ve experiences specially iwth Work permits in Europe..
I am aware of 3 Indian companies who work for my client itself and all face some or the other kind of issues..
Old Jan 11, 2011, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
well, in my experience the rude agents I have had the "privilege" to talk to generally tend to be the local employees.

i'm not talking about the local employees....i'm talking about the people conducting interviews & the people that are US & greek officials....

i've not dealt with the US embassy in florence so i can't comment there but i once had to get my US visa when i lived in london & i remember that to be a pretty unpleasant experience as well....
Old Jan 11, 2011, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by quarryking
In the same way, planning a quick side-trip to Mexico as well, while in the US later in the year...Mexico too allows folks with a valid US visa.
This is new. Started last May I believe.

I don't know about other people but I'm directing my leisure travel to countries where I can get either VoA or don't need a visa or can get a visa for cheap. Usually, these countries are also more welcoming and have less hassles than the US, Schengen and UK.

I've already been to S. Korea for a week which offers visa-free transit for Indians and spent 10 days in Argentina which doesn't charge Indians for a visa. Am planning on going to Japan ($9 visa), Ecuador (for the Galapagos Islands; no visa required), Costa Rica and Mexico (no visa required for US visa holders). In addition, I am planning a trip to the Middle East and Africa - Jordan and Kenya both offer visa on arrival and Turkey has VoA if holding US or UK visa.

Now I realize that this is not one of those situations where 'voting with my wallet' is actually going to change government policy, but this is my little way of sticking it to the governments who want to charge me >$100 to enter their country when I'll spend a few thousand dollars there.

The Chinese VoA is interesting - I did not know about it. If they make the process easier, I might consider using it some day.

saad: even though a lot of countries with cheap/free visas or no visa required or VoA for Indians are country most Indians won't visit, they are certainly worth visiting. Who wants to spend another summer in Europe? Much better to go see the Masai Mara in Kenya or Petra in Jordan or Patagonia in Argentina. ^

Another good site which I've mentioned elsewhere on FT is visasforindians.com.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by SQ421
Interestingly, none of the initial five countries (Japan, Singapore, Finland, Luxembourg and New Zealand) to which Visa on Arrival was made available in January 2010 maintain reciprocity as far as Visa on Arrival / Visa Free travel is concerned.
Reciprocity with Finland and Luxembourg is probably never going to happen because they're part of Schengen. Doubt New Zealand will do it either. Maybe Japan and Singapore, but even Japan is unlikely.

Originally Posted by SQ421
The reason why countries where most Indian's travel to do not have a visa waiver facility available for Indian Nationals is, their higher rates of migration (both legal and illegal).

One of the criteria used by the United States to add a country to the Visa Waiver Program is that the country's nationals should have a non-immigrant visa refusal rate of under 3%. I'm guessing the other OECD countries also use a similar criteria to extend visa waiver / visa on arrival facilities. Ofcourse political considerations and bilateral agreements come into play.
I think I remember reading statistics that 1/3rd of the applications that the Australian embassy received had fake documentation. Just to give you an idea of the amount of fraud that goes on...I think the Indian government should fine/lock these people up. Otherwise the fraud will never reduce and the rest of us honest Indians will continue to be saddled with all these onerous requirements whenever we travel to OECD countries.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 2:59 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I know a few Germans who did counter duty at the German consulate in CCU: their attitude mainly stems from the frustration of constantly being lied to and asked for favours, not so much because applicants didn't fulfil the criteria but because they were to lazy to prepare all the documents and/or fill the forms correctly/timely/legibly etc.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by abcx
I think I remember reading statistics that 1/3rd of the applications that the Australian embassy received had fake documentation.
That's actually pretty respectable. While this data point is not India-specific, at some UK consular posts in West Africa, the fraud was in excess of 90% for first time applicants before biometrics came into use. It is now down in the 40% range, although the biometrics themselves are not foolproof.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
I know a few Germans who did counter duty at the German consulate in CCU: their attitude mainly stems from the frustration of constantly being lied to and asked for favours, not so much because applicants didn't fulfil the criteria but because they were to lazy to prepare all the documents and/or fill the forms correctly/timely/legibly etc.
+1..

I think I remember reading statistics that 1/3rd of the applications that the Australian embassy received had fake documentation. Just to give you an idea of the amount of fraud that goes on...I think the Indian government should fine/lock these people up. Otherwise the fraud will never reduce and the rest of us honest Indians will continue to be saddled with all these onerous requirements whenever we travel to OECD countries.
+1 to this..
But I doubt if anything will change for the better in the near future
Old Jan 12, 2011, 8:40 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
T

I've already been to S. Korea for a week which offers visa-free transit for Indians
Does S. Korea as well work in the same way as Turkey & Mexico. You get entry with a valid US, UK or Schengen Visa..??
Old Jan 13, 2011, 2:02 am

[
Originally Posted by quarryking
Does S. Korea as well work in the same way as Turkey & Mexico. You get entry with a valid US, UK or Schengen Visa..??
check the link given below..

QUOTE=SQ421;15586209]Depends on how you'd define "extensively".

Here's a list of countries that allow Visa on Arrival for Indian Nationals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_re...ndian_citizens
[/QUOTE]

also check http://www.timaticweb.com/cgi-bin/ti...TAB2C....seems its available for 30days..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.