Wiki Posts
Search

India visa-on-arrival for tourists from 5 countries [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2010, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 9W Plat, Flying Blue Elite, HHonors Gold, Accor Le Club Plat
India visa-on-arrival for tourists from 5 countries [merged]

Trial basis, 30-day visa on arrival for tourists from Japan, Singapore, Finland, New Zealand and Luxembourg.

The Hindu, 2 Jan 2010: http://www.thehindu.com/2010/01/02/s...0257550400.htm

India on Friday ushered in a new feature in providing visas on arrival to tourists from five countries — Japan, Singapore, Finland, New Zealand and Luxembourg.

The facility, launched on an experimental basis for a year, is aimed at facilitating bona fide foreign tourists who plan their visits at short notice, said the Ministry of External Affairs.

The Ministry said tourists from these countries could also procure their visas from the diplomatic missions/posts in the normal course.

The “Tourist visa-on-arrival”, with a maximum validity of 30 days with single-entry facility to begin with, will be granted by the Immigration Officers at the airports in Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai and Kolkata.

The grant of a tourist visa-on-arrival would be regulated as per the guidelines prescribed in the Visa Manual, the Ministry said.

The official spokesperson of the Ministry of External Affairs said: “The [rule of] gap of two months between two visas would apply to all tourist visa holders.”

However, the restriction of two-month gap will not apply to PIO (Persons of Indian origin) or OCI (Overseas Citizen of India) card-holders and foreigners holding business, employment, student and other categories of visa.

Last edited by aniruddh77; Jan 1, 2010 at 7:03 pm Reason: .
Old Jan 2, 2010, 9:09 am

Japan, Singapore, Finland, New Zealand and Luxembourg.
Wonder what was the criteria for choosing these countries.
Random pick-up, special friendship with India, relatively small number of visitors (hmm?) or something else?
Old Jan 2, 2010, 10:22 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by abeyro
Wonder what was the criteria for choosing these countries.
Random pick-up, special friendship with India, relatively small number of visitors (hmm?) or something else?
Manageable numbers, unlikely to irk any significant political cluster, and less likely to spark an as intense and now-too-typical media frenzy as if starting off with countries like the US, UK and Canada.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 10:07 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Manageable numbers, unlikely to irk any significant political cluster, and less likely to spark an as intense and now-too-typical media frenzy as if starting off with countries like the US, UK and Canada.
.. and business reasons too. Something about India overtaking China as Japan's largest trading partner recently, and Japan promising some reciprocity in relaxing visa rules for indians.

None of these countries, in my experience, have been associated with painfully bureaucratic visa rules and arrogant embassy staff, so far .. the worst has been Argentina (where a visa clerk demanded a notarized affidavit on stamp paper as to why I was flying to EZE) .. Germany not far behind. The US wants quite a lot of paperwork but if you have it in order they're much better than most countries.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 5:25 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
If India introduces Visa on Arrival for most countries, i got a feeling that they would still charge the full fee on Arrival.

In that case, it would still be better for travellers to have a visa issued before travelling. Can you imagine the queues to purchase one if they introduced it for the likes of UK, US, Canada and the rest?
Old Jan 3, 2010, 5:40 am

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
Try the visa on arrival queue at BKK (for Indians, Chinese and people from a few other countries - Russians, Saudis etc I think)

Massive. Fly in early morning and get into your taxi about two to three hours later .. because you first pay your visa fee, and then stand in line for immigration. The Thai officials at that visa on arrival counter are typically rude and abrupt (and/or almost likely hungover in the case of the guy I saw last time).

Far faster to get a multiple entry visa on arrival if you transit BKK often enough.

Originally Posted by d3vski
If India introduces Visa on Arrival for most countries, i got a feeling that they would still charge the full fee on Arrival.

In that case, it would still be better for travellers to have a visa issued before travelling. Can you imagine the queues to purchase one if they introduced it for the likes of UK, US, Canada and the rest?
Old Jan 3, 2010, 2:06 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Yeah need more details. The multiple entry ones last 10 yrs so I would think these are less and also cheaper.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 12:27 pm

Programs: CX SL, SQ SL
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Immigration procedures have political implications everywhere, e.g. the backlash against work visa issuance to Indian IT workers, in US or Germany.

It is far better to restrict visa-on-arrival only to small countries, and not US or UK. Having dealt with the process of getting a US visa, I am not in favour of it being any easier for Americans to get an Indian visa. With continued economic growth in India, there's no lack of demand for visas anyway.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 1:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
The only reason i can see that India has a visa system for everyone apart from Nepal and Bhutan is because of the revenue it produces.

I think this visa on arrival system will fail after a year due to either:

1) Chaos at airports due to queues in purchasing one.

or

2) If the fee does not get passed onto the government coffers because its siphoned off by the Indian Immigration/Customs officers.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 11:09 pm

The cost is apparently US$60, which -- oddly enough -- is slightly less than I'd pay for an Indian visa in Singapore. (I'm not a Singaporean though, so I get to pay some extra bogus fax fees while they cable Delhi to check, uhh, whatever it is that they check.)

Still a huge step in the right direction though. ^
Old Jan 5, 2010, 4:32 am

Still a huge step in the right direction though
Hmm, next huge step will be to introduce Monaco, Lichtenstein, San Marino and Andorra to the scheme (Luxembourg is already there).
Old Jan 9, 2010, 2:49 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by abeyro
Hmm, next huge step will be to introduce Monaco, Lichtenstein, San Marino and Andorra to the scheme (Luxembourg is already there).
I think Luxembourg and Finland are picked as proxies for the EU (plus other European countries) and New Zealand is picked as a proxy for Australia.

Singapore might act as a test for some countries in the region while Japan has always enjoyed a special relationship with India visa vice. Visas for Japanese to India are from $16 while Australians pay from $75.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
India extends visa on arrival eligible countries.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...ow/7191444.cms
Old Dec 30, 2010, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
cool....now only if these countries started to do the same for indian nationals....
Old Dec 30, 2010, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by saad
cool....now only if these countries started to do the same for indian nationals....
True, its so easy travelling with a US passport, wish I could say the same for an Indian passport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.