Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Transit travel to/from India under the 'air bubble' agreements [ends 27 March 2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transit travel to/from India under the 'air bubble' agreements [ends 27 March 2022]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2021, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by B747-437B
India signed an air bubble agreement with Australia recently and it has now come into effect. The MoCA website has not yet been updated however.
Looks like somebody from MoCA is reading this thread!

Updated today:
2. Australia

India has established an air bubble with Australia. The Indian and Australian carriers may carry the following passengers on their flights being operated between India and Australia:

A. Inbound flights into India:

a. Indian nationals or nationals of Nepal or Bhutan in Australia and New Zealand;

b. All Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) cardholders and PIO cardholders holding passports of any country; and

c. All foreign nationals holding a valid Indian visa as per extant guidelines.

B. Outbound flights from India:

a. Nationals/residents of Australia, and foreign nationals with valid visa who are eligible to enter Australia/New Zealand;

b. Any Indian national or national of Nepal or Bhutan destined for Australia/ New Zealand and holding a valid visa of the destination country. It would be for the airlines concerned to ensure that there is no travel restriction for Indian/Nepalese/Bhutanese nationals to enter the destination country before issue of ticket/boarding pass to the Indian/Nepalese/Bhutanese passenger; and

c. Seamen of foreign nationalities and Seamen holding Indian passports would be allowed subject to clearance from the Ministry of Shipping.
B747-437B and SamirD like this.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by knit-in
It was around April 22nd that JL canceled flights between India and the USA. I was booked to fly in mid-April 2021, but I tested positive the day of the flight. Looking for later dates, none were available to book. You could book DEL-TYO and TYO-JFK, but not DEL-TYO-JFK.

EDIT: Went back and checked upthread, because I recalled this conversation on this thread. You did indeed travel after I couldn't find award or revenue space to book.
Trust me, I had the surreal experience of sitting in the Sakura lounge with a can of Asahi beer with a big Tokyo Olympics 2020 stamp on it...glad to escape the lockdown in India...was a beautiful day when we flew out of TYO and saw Fuji-san very clearly...

A couple of days back United had flown back their plane empty out of DEL back to EWR since they had some dispute with DEL airport babus about crew quarantine...so for some time I thought all flights would be shut down and I would be stuck for ever....
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by oliver2002
M&M will rebook you onto Lufthansa alternatives once the TK flight is cancelled: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33751845-post153.html
m&m stated that there are no lufthansa alternatives with available seats so they can't book them on another flight....they basically said the only option i had was to get a full refund & book a revenue ticket on lufthansa (or any other airline for that matter)....
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 1:26 am

Programs: UA 1K
Has anyone had recent experiences with transit travel USA -> India via Frankfurt on Lufthansa with a visa (no OCI card)? I haven't heard stories of LH cancelling tickets or denying boarding here, so I'm assuming it's fine?
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 5:14 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Lufthansa is technically not allowed to pick up pax from the US and had a spat with the GoI in Q3/20 about it. Since then they publish their rules on the LH India info page (scroll down on the page): https://www.lufthansa.com/in/en/flight-information
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 7:15 am

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
Lufthansa is technically not allowed to pick up pax from the US and had a spat with the GoI in Q3/20 about it. Since then they publish their rules on the LH India info page (scroll down on the page): https://www.lufthansa.com/in/en/flight-information
I was told by LH staff in BLR in April'21 that booking as UA flight nos (which was my ticket) is fine for India-FRA-US and back.. had no trouble on both journeys.. done twice on LH during pandemic..
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 8:09 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Did some searches but can't find a definitive answer from anyone-- just some things that seem to contradict each other, and now with Omicron things seem to be changing a lot.
If anyone can help out with info or with a link to a useful post, that would be great!

My partner has a DL/KLM flight USA-AMS-BOM for Sunday night. Indian passport, B1 Visa, resides in US. Has appt to do Visa renewal stamp next week. Could cancel and move to next year but hoping this works out this weekend!

I see that KLM cannot take US residents from EU to India, but these are DL flight numbers and there seems to be a Delta "bubble" that allows a connection in AMS/CDG.
The DL website says "X-- You are not allowed to travel".
Thoughts? Thanks!

Here's what KLM India's web page says:
SCOPE: USA
Starting 1st January 2021, the "bilateral air bubble agreement" between India and the USA permits partner Delta Airlines to codeshare with KLM and fly passengers between India and USA via Amsterdam.

Sounds good, right? but.... IS DL JFK-AMS-BOM with DL flight numbers a "Delta Flight"?

This below is copied from Indian Eagle travel agency website;

Delta Airlines Flights between USA and India

The list of airlines operating air bubble flights between USA and India includes Delta Airlines. Delta is currently operating Air France and KLM Airlines’ codeshare flights via Paris and Amsterdam respectively. Though both Air France and KLM Airlines are flying to and from India, they do not have the permission to carry Indian nationals beyond their hub airports in the EU region. Please note Delta Airlines’ nonstop flights to Mumbai from USA continue to remain suspended.
Indian passport holders, lawful permanent residents, B2/B1 visa holders, US citizens with/without OCI/PIO cards, and foreign nationals with a valid visa can travel on Delta flights to India from USA and from India to USA.\

Thanks again!
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by kyushuman; Dec 11, 2021 at 8:53 am
Old Dec 11, 2021, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by kyushuman
Did some searches but can't find a definitive answer from anyone-- just some things that seem to contradict each other, and now with Omicron things seem to be changing a lot.
If anyone can help out with info or with a link to a useful post, that would be great!

My partner has a DL/KLM flight USA-AMS-BOM for Sunday night. Indian passport, B1 Visa, resides in US. Has appt to do Visa renewal stamp next week. Could cancel and move to next year but hoping this works out this weekend!

I see that KLM cannot take US residents from EU to India, but these are DL flight numbers and there seems to be a Delta "bubble" that allows a connection in AMS/CDG.

Here's what KLM India's web page says:
SCOPE: USA
Starting 1st January 2021, the "bilateral air bubble agreement" between India and the USA permits partner Delta Airlines to codeshare with KLM and fly passengers between India and USA via Amsterdam.

Sounds good, right? but.... IS DL JFK-AMS-BOM with DL flight numbers a "Delta Flight"?

<snip>

Thanks again!
You are correct, DL codeshare flights are exempt from the bubble and if you look upthread you will find examples of people transiting via both CDG and AMS. May be useful to call Delta once and check beforehand for a final confirmation.

Make sure they have appropriate testing/vax certificate etc for AMS (if required) and BOM.

Also note that BOM is testing and home-quarantining all arrivals from EU, so scheduling an appointment in the first few days after landing may not be advisable.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 11:47 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by superboi
You are correct, DL codeshare flights are exempt from the bubble and if you look upthread you will find examples of people transiting via both CDG and AMS. May be useful to call Delta once and check beforehand for a final confirmation.

Make sure they have appropriate testing/vax certificate etc for AMS (if required) and BOM.

Also note that BOM is testing and home-quarantining all arrivals from EU, so scheduling an appointment in the first few days after landing may not be advisable.
That's good to know about the bubble! Next question-- if he is in the USA-India bubble on Delta, will he be considered an EU arrival in terms of quarantine? Also, is the quarantine required if fully vaccinated with booster? thanks again!
Thanks again!
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 11:53 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
It seems all arrivals from the EU are subject to testing, see this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/indi...l#post33803101
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Lufthansa's page actually isn't super clear on this case. Under "Flights to India" and "2. Air Travel Bubble eligibility criteria," there's a reference to OCI cardholders:

B. Any Indian national holding a valid visa and all Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) cardholders holding passport issued by any country in the EU/Schengen area, South America or Africa only and originating from any country in the EU/Schengen area, South America or Africa.
But no such reference to origin regions for foreigners:
C. Foreigners holding valid visa (not OCI) issued by an Indian Mission in any category covered under Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) guidelines dated 30.06.2020 as amended from time to time
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 12:26 pm

It seems all arrivals from the EU are subject to testing, see this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/indi...l#post33803101
Yes that's good to know.
Interestingly, the Air Sudivha site asks for "Origin City" so we have a faint hope that means the AMS transit for 2 hours doesn't consider him to be from an "At Risk" country. Faint.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 1:30 pm

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by leonidas
Are ME3 allowed to take passengers the other way: India-ME-US?
Officially no, unofficially yes. Plenty of dps regarding the same.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Yes that's good to know.
Interestingly, the Air Sudivha site asks for "Origin City" so we have a faint hope that means the AMS transit for 2 hours doesn't consider him to be from an "At Risk" country. Faint.
as far as testing is concerned, they don't seem to be relying on the air suvidha form....if your flight comes in from an 'at-risk' nation then you are subject to testing....even though its clearly stated in the faq that those transiting should be exempt....
kyushuman and SamirD like this.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Keyser
as far as testing is concerned, they don't seem to be relying on the air suvidha form....if your flight comes in from an 'at-risk' nation then you are subject to testing....even though its clearly stated in the faq that those transiting should be exempt....
The testing is totally fine-- it's the quarantine we don't want. Yes, Air suvidha says if you're not from an at risk country you don't need to quarantine. But each state could have their own rules, I realize!
SamirD likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.