Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Transit travel to/from India under the 'air bubble' agreements [ends 27 March 2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transit travel to/from India under the 'air bubble' agreements [ends 27 March 2022]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2021, 8:20 am

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
What is the logic behind having different rules for US travel on different airlines? I can maybe understand allowing nonstop India-US flights only, but why is e.g. QR allowed to take passengers that BA cannot?

And why is a PCR test required for US bound passengers when the US only requires an antigen test? Many mysteries.
There is no logic whatsoever--it's all politicians padding their pockets and corruption to the highest bidder. The virus won't selectively choose certain airlines to spread by, so that excuse is a joke.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
What is the logic behind having different rules for US travel on different airlines? I can maybe understand allowing nonstop India-US flights only, but why is e.g. QR allowed to take passengers that BA cannot?

And why is a PCR test required for US bound passengers when the US only requires an antigen test? Many mysteries.
PCR test is required for US bound passengers, because the appropriate antigen test must be authorized for use or approved by GoI or the airport authorities. So to be safe, most airlines insist on RT-PCR or equivalent. This is especially true for 1 stop connecting flights.

May be on nonstop flights one can get away with a simple antigen test, provided United, AI or AA are willing to accept it.
SamirD likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 9:43 pm

Programs: EY

While the US may accept an antigen test, the airline/transiting country may not and may require a PCR test just to get on the plane. Hopefully these airlines/countries start accepting Antigen/NAAT tests so we don't have to chase down 2-3 day PCRs all the time.
SamirD likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 12:16 am

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
Originally Posted by sometalkofme
Speaking of which, spouse ("foreign" citizen, OCI holder) & I (Indian citizen, US LPR) will be returning back to BOS on BA in December; BLR-DEL-LHR-BOS, with BLR-DEL being on Vistara. With Vistara having a codeshare agreement with BA, they should be able to check us through to BOS. How aware do you think the UK staff would be about my eligibility to be checked in for the journey in accordance with air bubble rules (spouse is a foreign citizen), even though their website seems to say I would be ineligible to do so.
you will in all probability be asked to go to BA check-in desk at DEL (bags will be thru checked) to get your INTL BPs or re validate them.. there they “May” check/ask about rules.. IMHO - no one is caring about eligibility currently.. they are too busy cashing in on the sky high fares due to artificial scarcity due to limited supply
SamirD likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 12:35 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
None of the EU3 and ME3 are really happy about the current situation. They may charge high fares but if you are only allowed to operate 20-30% of former capacity into India that doesn't help. Especially since they have ramped up their capcity to N. America this month and need to fill those to make money.
SamirD likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by hrs027
Hi
I am booked MEL-CMB on SQ and CMB-MAA on Air India on a separate ticket.
Will SQ interline bags to AI since being Star Alliance?
I have read that CMB is allowing for transit passengers.
I have OCI card to enter India.
Hello,
I'm booked on FRA-CMB-COK on Srilankan airlines. I spoke to the Srilankan airlines office in Frankfurt and Chennai. Both of them say officially you are not allowed to transit through CMB to India and further added that you have to travel at your own risk even with split tickets. Can you please let me know where you heard about transit being allowed through CMB?
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by rizdus; Nov 24, 2021 at 2:34 am Reason: grammar
Old Nov 24, 2021, 2:48 am

Apparently the bubble nonsense is ending by the end of the year per MoCA...
SamirD likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 3:27 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Suuure... while they tweet this today. Who in their right mind thinks that there is a still a need for VB missions since Q2/2020???

SamirD likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by Qsuites111
They didn't specify which year though...
SamirD likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 6:40 am

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
Originally Posted by Qsuites111
source? News article?
SamirD likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 7:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by galaticos
source? News article?
the best I could find https://www.deccanherald.com/nationa...y-1054085.html
galaticos and SamirD like this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 8:27 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rizdus
Hello,
I'm booked on FRA-CMB-COK on Srilankan airlines. I spoke to the Srilankan airlines office in Frankfurt and Chennai. Both of them say officially you are not allowed to transit through CMB to India and further added that you have to travel at your own risk even with split tickets. Can you please let me know where you heard about transit being allowed through CMB?
But in this case if the passenger picks up the bags at CMB and rechecks in for the India flight, this technically is not transit as the passenger is leaving the airport and reentering in a short period. Also it helps if the passenger is fully vaccinated and the RTPCR test is taken within 72 hours of the India flight (not the flight from FRA).
SamirD likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 11:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
They want to force people to fly AI
BOM-Ewr today was delayed 22 hours. Pax passed immigration and not allowed to get out by BOI. They can't manage a replacement aircraft in a whole day at one of their hubs.

I hope this bubble nonsense ends soon so we get back to having options
SamirD likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by Acid
They want to force people to fly AI
BOM-Ewr today was delayed 22 hours. Pax passed immigration and not allowed to get out by BOI. They can't manage a replacement aircraft in a whole day at one of their hubs.

I hope this bubble nonsense ends soon so we get back to having options
Oh, AI is indeed flying this route now, eh?

It's the restart of their service, so probably the hiccups are due to this - but I agree with you wholeheartedly...

Did they try putting pax on United then?
SamirD likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 2:29 pm

There is no alternative right now… no space left for such options
SamirD likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.