Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight Review Thread - Air India

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2022, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
It's not dine on demand. So meals will be served at meal times. They are generally quite accommodating so you can make a request and see what happens.You can ask for snacks and drinks at any time. You can ask for hot water for your son's food (in any flight class). They won't be able to pack your meals but maybe able to provide you with a plastic bag or similar at very best.
Thank you very much for your reply. Good to know that I can ask for hot water in any class. I did not know that.

Originally Posted by Keyser
Generally during meal service only. I have once or twice asked to be served later & they have obliged.
I would be really interested to know what they say here. Even if you don't feel like eating, please ask them this question & report back here.
Will do. Thank you for your answer.

Another question - Regarding the baggage policy, in Air India website it says for business class for Adult AND Child it is 32 kg for checked and 12 kg for cabin. My ticket shows baggage allowance as 2 piece - adult and for my son it shows 2 piece - child. If as per air india website, the baggage allowance is the same, then why they distinguish in the tickets? Am I missing something? Could someone confirm if the baggage allowance would be same or not for adult and child? Thanks.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 11:54 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by dsam22
Another question - Regarding the baggage policy, in Air India website it says for business class for Adult AND Child it is 32 kg for checked and 12 kg for cabin. My ticket shows baggage allowance as 2 piece - adult and for my son it shows 2 piece - child. If as per air india website, the baggage allowance is the same, then why they distinguish in the tickets? Am I missing something? Could someone confirm if the baggage allowance would be same or not for adult and child? Thanks.
Baggage allowance for children above 2 years and adults is the same @ 2x32kg. AI's website though a mess is very clear about baggage allowance.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
Baggage allowance for children above 2 years and adults is the same @ 2x32kg. AI's website though a mess is very clear about baggage allowance.
Great, thank you for confirming. Is the cabin luggage allowance (one 12 kg bag) the same too?
Old Mar 18, 2022, 2:25 pm
GK7

yes. It is the same for cabin. To be frank AI is not strict on enforcement of the luggage policy in business class. Good luck flying on an 18 year old 777 equipment. Check seatguru.com for better seats to select for you and the kid. this plane has 2+3+2 config and only two rows are NOT next to the restroom. Also crew uses the middle seats for resting (no kidding), so at least two rows of middle seats are in holding pattern if there are not enough business class passengers.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 2:29 pm
GK7

Yes it is the same for cabin. Good luck flying on an 18 year old 777! Check seatguru.com for seating feedback.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 9:13 am

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by GK7
Yes it is the same for cabin. Good luck flying on an 18 year old 777! Check seatguru.com for seating feedback.
Do not belittle the old seats on AI's business class I flew a series of flights with AI 787, LH 747 and UA 787 in business class and found AI 787 to be the most spacious and comfortable. LH was dated too but uncomfortable and UA was claustrophobic.

A friendly suggestion: before the AI flight leaves the gate check out the functions on the seat so that you are not left with a bad seat.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 1:03 pm
GK7

Originally Posted by TravellingMan
Do not belittle the old seats on AI's business class I flew a series of flights with AI 787, LH 747 and UA 787 in business class and found AI 787 to be the most spacious and comfortable. LH was dated too but uncomfortable and UA was claustrophobic.

A friendly suggestion: before the AI flight leaves the gate check out the functions on the seat so that you are not left with a bad seat.
Last time I used AI, I had to use two seats: one for sleeping, and one to sit, as my assigned seat was not able to go up and down. Both IFEs were not working. I used AI during covid days as I wanted a direct US-India flight to avoid ever changing bubble rules. Hope I do not have to fly AI again.

UA Polaris class is awesome in 1-2-1 config.

Once you are used to the ANA's "The room" business class, everything else is lame
rt23456p likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by TravellingMan

I have flown LH (A380) and UA (B777) in international J-- in fact, both ex-DEL, and while the LH J was very mediocre, in both seat (no aisle access) and service, I loved the UA Polaris seat.

AI has too many variables for my comfort.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA
"My AWFUL Flight on Air India's Filthy Boeing 787"

(Not my review)

I probably had preconceived notions after several instances of overhearing US-based cleaning crew discussing how filthy Air India's cabins are and how most passengers treat the aircraft as their personal rubbish bin, meaning that the cleaning crew never has time to clean the aircraft properly. but I can't say I'm overly surprised by the observations in this review.
SamirD likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 2:42 pm

OK!!! taking AI103 with the 787 Dreamliner business.. pls for the love of god tell me its not as bad as the 777..

Also, any plans for them to allow wifi? especially just 2 days ago vistara is allowing live tv and such?
SamirD likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by lendmeyourbrain
OK!!! taking AI103 with the 787 Dreamliner business.. pls for the love of god tell me its not as bad as the 777..

Also, any plans for them to allow wifi? especially just 2 days ago vistara is allowing live tv and such?
I flew AI 787 business class in 2018. With the caveat that the soft product may better now under the new management, here is what I remember from that trip.

Configuration was2-2-2 with no privacy. Catering depends on whether or not you like Indian cuisine. Their Indian stuff is pretty good. Rest of the stuff - nothing to write home. Flight attendants were mostly mechanical and indifferent. Ground staff were rude. I avoided using the restrooms as much as I could - enough said.
SamirD likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by vsadda
I flew AI 787 business class in 2018. With the caveat that the soft product may better now under the new management, here is what I remember from that trip.

Configuration was2-2-2 with no privacy. Catering depends on whether or not you like Indian cuisine. Their Indian stuff is pretty good. Rest of the stuff - nothing to write home. Flight attendants were mostly mechanical and indifferent. Ground staff were rude. I avoided using the restrooms as much as I could - enough said.

Honestly, just need bed to lay flat.

Taking this after my hair surgery, and I read that a lot of times business class is empty, so we can move on about. hope the outlets work too..
SamirD likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 12:54 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Ladies & Gentlemen, Dear Kids,
linking to external sites as part of the discussion and to which the poster has no evident link is perfectly OK within rule 7.

Regards Oliver2002
Co-Mod IBA
SamirD likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 6:32 am

Very confusing interpretation of rules, though. In one thread a link to a YouTube vlog was considered as a violation and in the other it is not.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Flew CDG-DEL last night & I have to admit that there is a marked improvement in service & food.

Waiting for them to start flying the planes they are getting from Delta. Will perhaps start flying long haul with AI a little more often then.
SamirD and vsadda like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.