Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight Review Thread - Air India

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2022, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Flew ORD-DEL in J earlier this week. Seats are of course the crappy angled seats, but they worked. IFE is slow and dated, but it worked (even the map). Flight attendants are neither the aunties of yore nor the very young and eager but inexperienced people I saw earlier this year. Rather they were thirtyish, experienced, attentive staff.

There is still no menu, only verbally listed items---the usual 2x2=4 items (veg/nonveg, Indian/western). I didn't find the food to be any better than edible, but it was not much worse than many other airlines that are not QR.

Perhaps the worst aspect was how they turned on the bright lights halfway through the flight to serve the second meal (they did agree to hold it for later but I would rather not have had to wake up at all). Otherwise, a good flight.
Thanks for this - was debating taking AI to ORD early Jan - will stick to UA
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by galaticos
Thanks for this - was debating taking AI to ORD early Jan - will stick to UA
Nothing I said is news. AI longhaul J is unchanged under Tata except for better FAs.

AI still has significant advantages, including better connections both ways for those not staying in DEL, and the ability to fly over Russia. Plus typically lower fares (UA J fares are obscene). I have not found UA food to be anything to write home about, and their FAs are the american version of AI's late unlamented aunties. The seat is better, of course.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 11:45 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
...the ability to fly over Russia.
I don't know if I'd consider this an advantage with a war still going on...
mcallia likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 1:31 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Aircraft stay well clear of potential war zones, especially after MH 17 was shot down by separatists in 2014. The insurance companies make sure no airline goes rogue An example: https://ops.group/blog/ukraine-russi...isks-nov-2022/

The FAA only advises tho avoid the Rostov, Samara and Moscow FIR on top of the already red zones near UA:

If you look the at the westbound AI 1xx flights they all stay well clear.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 11:37 am

...and the ability to fly over Russia.
And also the ability to fly over Iran.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 12:26 pm

Programs: EuroBonus
Is it worth to fly Air India First class DEL-JFK from Europe over like polaris or Air Canada? First cabin would be 777-300er or 777-200lr.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 4:28 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by davvelavve
Is it worth to fly Air India First class DEL-JFK from Europe over like polaris or Air Canada? First cabin would be 777-300er or 777-200lr.
Depends on if the cost of the ticket impacts you. Typically AI's F costs 2x+ UA/AC J tickets. However, recently ticket prices especially on UA J have been wild. If ticket costs do matter to you - it's an easy call.

IMHO the AI soft product (in J or F) is better than UA J. However the hard product leaves a lot to be desired. I think AC is more-or-less similar to UA but I haven't flown AC long haul. On UA (and probably AC as well) you'll get (way) better seats, way better IFE and WiFi etc. That makes it hard to recommend AI F which would be significantly more expensive.

Also what do you mean by "DEL - JFK from Europe"! Are you going to board the plane like James Bond or Ethan Hunt!
SamirD and davvelavve like this.

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; Dec 27, 2022 at 4:34 am
Old Dec 27, 2022, 9:38 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Nothing I said is news. AI longhaul J is unchanged under Tata except for better FAs.

AI still has significant advantages, including better connections both ways for those not staying in DEL, and the ability to fly over Russia. Plus typically lower fares (UA J fares are obscene). I have not found UA food to be anything to write home about, and their FAs are the american version of AI's late unlamented aunties. The seat is better, of course.
If you are flying J, yes may be UA is better overall. But for those flying in economy, AI is better. Good comfortable seats, excellent food (better than any other airline flying from India, including EK or QR or SQ), IFE is lacking compared to UA (but for those who want Hindi and regional language movies AI is better, UA does not have any regional movies and Hindi movies are limited), but the FA's are now better in AI than in UA (who believe in doing the bare minimum)..
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 9:47 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by hyho61
FAs... in UA (who believe in doing the bare minimum)..
No they don't.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 1:01 pm

Except for IFE, AI F is superior to UA Polaris in every other aspect. AI J is inferior to UA Polaris, mainly because the hard product is extremely dated and often in disrepair.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 4:54 pm

Programs: EuroBonus
If you are flying J, yes may be UA is better overall. But for those flying in economy, AI is better. Good comfortable seats, excellent food (better than any other airline flying from India, including EK or QR or SQ), IFE is lacking compared to UA (but for those who want Hindi and regional language movies AI is better, UA does not have any regional movies and Hindi movies are limited), but the FA's are now better in AI than in UA (who believe in doing the bare minimum)..
Thank you. I would fly LHR-DEL-EWR and its on award and not paid money. For me it would only be around 5000 EuroBonus points more to fly F one way vs J.
At the moment I have J in polaris and also J in air Canadas B787 on my trip, so would be fun to try it out. Would be nice om homebound to try AI F but i have reached my maximum 8 segments.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 5:17 pm

Are the bathrooms kept clean in AI economy? Thinking about doing the JFK-BOM non-stop but hoping the airline staff maintain the restrooms regularly since that's been a complaint from the spouse when flying coach. She doesn't care about all the other factors
Old Dec 28, 2022, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by sam007
Are the bathrooms kept clean in AI economy? Thinking about doing the JFK-BOM non-stop but hoping the airline staff maintain the restrooms regularly since that's been a complaint from the spouse when flying coach. She doesn't care about all the other factors
Their toilets used to be a mess within a couple of hours into the flight. On top of that, for the Indian flight attendants, it was beneath their dignity to clean up the mess. And that deadly combination translated to a very unpleasant flight for me the last time I flew them in economy way back.

My last flight with them, in 2019, was in J and that was a decent flight except for the angled flat seat. That said, under the new Tata management things are better, from what I heard.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 11:25 pm

Thank you. I would fly LHR-DEL-EWR and its on award and not paid money. For me it would only be around 5000 EuroBonus points more to fly F one way vs J.
At the moment I have J in polaris and also J in air Canadas B787 on my trip, so would be fun to try it out. Would be nice om homebound to try AI F but i have reached my maximum 8 segments.
In which case if I were you I would absolutely try AI F. You will be giving up WiFi; also carry your own entertainment with you. You will get a bigger seat but not necessarily more comfy than Polaris bedding.

My additional recommendation to you - to enjoy a full first class experience would be to take a flight to Mumbai (there are many many through the day) and take the BOM - EWR in AI F from there. The lounge situation in DEL is currently all messed up and who knows when it will get resolved for the better (especially for AI pax since there is a very very ordinary AI lounge there that seems likely to stay). BOM's F lounge is significantly better than any Polaris lounge. And it would be a great start to a F experience.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 8:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Lil off topic.

I don't have any plans on flying AI anytime soon. My experience is only from 2 domestic flights I took on AI recently.
Flight 1: DEL- BLR: The staff somehow forgot to put the flight information on screen and we had to go to AI lounge to find the boarding gate number. The only food option they had in the flight was Pasta & chocolate (my parents couldn't eat anything in flight).
Flight 2: BLR - DEL: The only food option this time was noodles & chocolate. This time we were smarter and ate at the airport before boarding.

Lot of people went hungry in both the flights coz noodles / pasta is inedible food for a lot of people in India.

i can't get what's wrong with AI to think it's OK to have Pasta/Noodles as only food option on domestic flights.

Staff is generally courteous.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.