FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Park Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/845001-park-hyatt-melbourne-review-master-thread.html)

Dodoldurian May 31, 2010 11:15 am

Originally Posted by sfvoyage (Post 1255492)
Had a very pleasant stay at the PH Melbourne a few days ago.

Even though I never experienced their Regency Club before, I'd say they've been a good job cushioning the blow to the closure.

First, you get "continental breakfast" at the Trilogy restaurant. This breakfast turns out to be the full buffet spread, which is, outside of Asia, very generous and good in quality.

They also gave me drink coupons that can be used anytime at the Radii bar (or lobby area). Radii bar serves excellent speciality cocktails (my favorite was "Toblerone"), which cost around A$16, so this new benefit is excellent. (However, the Radii bar & restaurant is now closed on Sundays, and the lobby bar only serves basic drinks.)

Thanks for the report, I am looking forward to stay there on my next Aussie trip.

777 global mile hound May 31, 2010 2:40 pm

Dodoldurian just wanted to inform you that the post you replied to and quoted is approx 7 years ago :eek: :o
Highly out of date I would imagine
What caught my eye was club closure and continental breakfast

I had heard the club is fully operating and if it isn't you should be entitled to bonus points for closure if a Diamond and a full American Breakfast not Continental thanks to the excellence of Gold Passport Diamond elite benefits
Have a great stay Cheers

m0hamed May 31, 2010 7:07 pm

The Park Lounge is operated for evening drinks and canapes. For breakfast you are entitled to a full breakfast in Radii restaurant which is much more lavish than one expects in a club lounge with limited offering.

Dodoldurian May 31, 2010 7:40 pm

m0hamed,

Thank you for update, we will enjoy the stay for sure.

shillard Jun 5, 2010 8:32 pm

On the recommendation of m0hamed, I stayed here for the first time on Friday.

A few days prior I had emailed HGP, outlining my obscene dissatisfaction with the A-Club (dis)loyalty programme and received a comp to Diamond status.

My time at the hotel was all too brief, but exceptional. Upgraded according to policy - very impressed with the room ambience and quality.

Room service dinner was excellent - flexible to accommodate specific off-menu requests, prompt and not horribly overpriced.

Breakfast in Radii was also a pleasant surprise.

Most impressive was the lap pool and supporting facilities - one of the best I've seen. Temperature was just right for lap swimming too. All too often (Perth Hilton comes to mind) the temperature is turned up way too hot.

Overall, a far better experience offering better value than the Sofitel - my usual haunt. Converted.

BKKROP Jun 5, 2010 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by shillard (Post 14084143)

Most impressive was the lap pool and supporting facilities - one of the best I've seen. .

Overall, a far better experience offering better value than the Sofitel - my usual haunt. Converted.

It took me a while to let go of the Sofitel, but the PH has been my favourite now for a while, I have logged it in my profile I am happy with the log fire clubroom. Hate to admit it, but I have never seen the lap pool, obviously lycra is not my most flattering attire;)

shillard Jun 6, 2010 7:03 am

Originally Posted by BKKROP (Post 14084304)
Hate to admit it, but I have never seen the lap pool, obviously lycra is not my most flattering attire;)

It's never held me back.

m0hamed Jun 6, 2010 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by BKKROP (Post 14084304)
Hate to admit it, but I have never seen the lap pool, obviously lycra is not my most flattering attire;)

The leisure facilities at the hotel are outstanding. An adequate gym (the GH has access to a full city gym), an amazing pool, spa, steam room and sauna. The pool and spa overlook Parliament square and it's the perfect way to relax before hitting the club lounge for drinks.

As for unflattering, I can assure you it's not an issue. The Socceroos were staying at the PH recently and they aren't all that athletic!

Cheerfulflyer Aug 6, 2010 9:02 pm

Does PH routinely upgrade (complimentarily) its diamond guests? If so to what? What was your experience? Is the club still closed for breakfast? Any tips/suggestions for a first time 4 night stay on BWB nights?

shillard Aug 6, 2010 9:24 pm

I've always been upgraded - typically to a Cathedral Suite, although last time (as luck would have it for an evening checkin, early checkout) I was upgraded to the Ambassador suite - complete with kitchen. Great value for a $260 online booking. Diamond gift is typically a bottle of wine and some fruit.

Great property, it really is the duck's guts.

Cheerfulflyer Aug 6, 2010 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by shillard (Post 14436862)
I've always been upgraded - typically to a Cathedral Suite, although last time (as luck would have it for an evening checkin, early checkout) I was upgraded to the Ambassador suite - complete with kitchen. Great value for a $260 online booking. Diamond gift is typically a bottle of wine and some fruit.

Great to know! ^ Was this a complimentary upgrade or you used vouchers? Does this property (from your experience or others you know) complimentary upgrades its diamonds on reward stays. Would a Cathedral Suite be large enough for a family of 3?

Surgee Aug 6, 2010 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by shillard (Post 14436862)

Wow! I stayed there 2 BWB nights in July and only upgraded to what seemed like a deluxe room w/ club access.

Also, only got bottle of wine (though it was champagne).

Being on a paid booking always helps in your case :)

m0hamed Aug 6, 2010 11:52 pm

It should be noted that Diamonds are automatically upgraded to a Club Deluxe Room, which is in fact, slightly larger than the Cathedral Suite. The Suite simply has doors between the living room and the bedroom, and is pretty similar in every other way. In this sense the standard upgrade is one of the best out of all Hyatt properties. It is not a standard room with club access, it's much, much more.

shillard Aug 7, 2010 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Cheerfulflyer (Post 14436927)
Great to know! ^ Was this a complimentary upgrade or you used vouchers? Does this property (from your experience or others you know) complimentary upgrades its diamonds on reward stays. Would a Cathedral Suite be large enough for a family of 3?

It was a comp upgrade, no experience (yet) of award stays or voucher utilisation as I'm quite new to the programme.

Cathedral suite would accommodate 3 in comfort, presumably with your child on a fold-out bed in the lounge area.

thegrailer Aug 8, 2010 10:49 pm

I'll be in the PH MEL in about a week on a 2 night BWB/UA mileage-ish run. Sounds like it will be a great time at the hotel.

Cheers -