FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Park Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/845001-park-hyatt-melbourne-review-master-thread.html)

River in Sight Jul 13, 2011 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed (Post 16723301)
Google Maps helps with this sort of question. It's not immediately close, but when I stayed at the GH, I took my dry cleaning to Flinders Lane Dry Cleaners.

Flinders Lane Dry Cleaners
165 Flinders Lane, Melbourne VIC 3000 (03) 9639 0477

Thanks, m0hamed - I have gotten burned many times before on trying to find a place that will do the laundry for you ... seems like I always get there and it's self-service only, out of business, or something else is wrong. Thanks for the lead on Finders Lane.

lucky9876coins Jul 16, 2011 12:20 am

I stayed at the Park Hyatt a few weeks ago on points and had an amazing stay. This was my first time staying at a Park Hyatt with a club lounge, so I was really impressed. It's the best of both worlds, given that you get the evening reception and breakfast in the restaurant. Even at $8 for a hot breakfast, it's an absolute bargain.

I wrote a full review of the property with pictures here, in case anyone's interested.

m0hamed Jul 16, 2011 1:54 am

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins (Post 16736904)

I wrote a full review of the property with pictures here, in case anyone's interested.

Great TR, however, you weren't given a Club Deluxe with a fireplace which makes for a truly exceptional stay. My understanding from the GM is that there are, in fact, 36 different room variations.

mcditolla Jul 26, 2011 3:57 pm

Love, love, love this hotel... My fave in the southern hemisphere!

AN-Diamond Jul 27, 2011 12:51 am

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins (Post 16736904)
Even at $8 for a hot breakfast, it's an absolute bargain.

Hi Lucky, really enjoying your trip report - I noticed this when I was reading about your stay, and bristled as I read it, and now that you have brought it up here I guess i'm looking for a clarification.

I understood that as a Diamond GP member we are entitled to "Enjoy daily complimentary full breakfast in hotels without a club lounge". While I realise that the PH Melbourne has a club lounge, it doesnt serve breakfast there - it seems a bit tricky to then say that because they have a club lounge that they don't use for breakfast you only get the continental in the restaurant.

Any thoughts?

m0hamed Jul 27, 2011 1:09 am

Originally Posted by AN-Diamond (Post 16805014)
I understood that as a Diamond GP member we are entitled to "Enjoy daily complimentary full breakfast in hotels without a club lounge". While I realise that the PH Melbourne has a club lounge, it doesnt serve breakfast there - it seems a bit tricky to then say that because they have a club lounge that they don't use for breakfast you only get the continental in the restaurant.

Any thoughts?

Good point, this should be mentioned to the property and GP. I'll do it on my next stay. The lounge only serves breakfast during periods of high capacity and Sundays.

camping Nov 12, 2011 5:51 pm

PH or GH?

Diamond member visiting Melbourne for the first time. Plan to using points for 3 nights at either PH or GH. Which one is better? (Intuitively PH should be better but I see some folks say GH has better location. Hence the question. ) Thanks!

KeepDeltaMyDelta Nov 12, 2011 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by FitTraveler (Post 16545182)
Stayed at the Park Hyatt Melbourne last week. While the rooms may need a refresh for the most part I liked the property.

I especially liked the walk-in shower. Wouldn't mind having a similar one at home.

Any other guys like the multi-head shower?

Stayed at the Park Hyatt Melbourne last week. I agree with you regarding the shower. Awesome. The mirror in the shower is a nice touch, especially for those of us who prefer to shave in the shower.

I also liked the good size lap pool. The rest of the fitness center and them steam room and sauna in the mens locker room were not bad for a hotel.

If I'm in Melbourne again I would not think twice about staying here.

BKKROP Nov 12, 2011 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by camping (Post 17439198)
Diamond member visiting Melbourne for the first time. Plan to using points for 3 nights at either PH or GH. Which one is better? (Intuitively PH should be better but I see some folks say GH has better location. Hence the question. ) Thanks!

I prefer the PH, because it is not so busy, it is more sedate, there are no suits running left and right, mobile phones ringing, or clickity clack of high heals competing for attention. It is hidden behind the Parliament building, within minutes of the city and the underground but importantly only that far the other way from parklands walks and a relaxed coffee culture. If however you want bling shops and people to match, I would recommend the Grand

m0hamed Nov 12, 2011 9:47 pm

Camping, as a Diamond you will be auto upgraded at the PH to a Club Deluxe which is almost double the size of the Club rooms at the Grand Hyatt (which is a normal room with club access).

The PH is in every way a far superior property.

I often hold events at the GH, and always stay at the PH. They are less than a 7 min walk from each other.

danger Nov 13, 2011 5:39 am

I'll add my vote for the Park Hyatt. Both are great but the Park is, in my opinion, luxurious.

camping Nov 18, 2011 12:22 am

Thank you BKKROP, m0hamed, and danger! Park Hyatt it is.

I just realized that I need to rental a car for 1 day or 2. GH seems to have an on-site avis. Anyone knows what the options for car rental at PH are? Thanks!

m0hamed Nov 18, 2011 12:42 am

I'm sure they will arrange it, but there isn't anything on site. I generally use Hertz or Europcar and pickup at the airport (though this will add 10% to all charges as a premium location fee).

Also, I found out an interesting fact about the property. They have contracts with local private hospitals, and 2 floors in the Cathedral wing are dedicated to women who have just given birth. Their families come to stay at the PH, and obviously generate additional revenue. Now that my awareness has been raised I noticed 4 newborns in the foyer this week!

Apparently this is common practice in all 5 star hotels in Melbourne.

danger Nov 18, 2011 12:56 am

Originally Posted by camping (Post 17472878)
I just realized that I need to rental a car for 1 day or 2. GH seems to have an on-site avis. Anyone knows what the options for car rental at PH are? Thanks!

I don't recall seeing a hire car company at the Grand (which isn't to say there isn't one). However, as mentioned, the Park is a very easy walk from the Grand, probably six or seven minutes at a comfortable pace.

Originally Posted by m0hamed (Post 17472922)
Also, I found out an interesting fact about the property. They have contracts with local private hospitals, and 2 floors in the Cathedral wing are dedicated to women who have just given birth. Their families come to stay at the PH, and obviously generate additional revenue. Now that my awareness has been raised I noticed 4 newborns in the foyer this week!

Apparently this is common practice in all 5 star hotels in Melbourne.

Interesting. I knew the Sofitel did this but wasn't aware it was a common thing.

m0hamed Nov 18, 2011 1:43 am

The Avis is directly outside the carpark exit of the GH.