FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Park Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/845001-park-hyatt-melbourne-review-master-thread.html)

flyer121 Mar 12, 2008 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by meducate (Post 9400513)
Based on many of these posts I am considering switching from the PH to the GH for my stay next week. 2 questions:

1. Is the GH closer to the convention centre than the PH?
2. What impact does the ongoing renovations make on the club level?

Thanks!

1) Not sure about this question.

2) Our most recent stay was January of this year and it was during the peak of the construction phase. The Regency Club was better than it ever was. Like I said in a previous post, you can have a four course dinner at the RC and the staff are fantastic.

19103_aa Mar 12, 2008 9:40 pm

Grand Hyatt Melbourne is marginally closer to the convention centre. The Convention Centre is still across the Yarra River. It's a long walk or a very quick taxi. I can't answer question 2. ;)

RichardInSF Mar 12, 2008 10:49 pm

The GH is approximately 2.5 tram stops closer to the convention center, which means instead of a 15 minute tram ride, depending on which stop you walk to, it is a 10 - 11 minute tram ride.

meducate Mar 13, 2008 4:30 am

Thanks, all. I am considering changing my reservation...sounds like the GH could be the better experience overall (regardless of ongoing renovations!)....

BAGoldBoy Mar 19, 2008 5:29 am

Stayed here a couple of weeks ago for an overnighter after flying in from Perth. I'd made the booking months ago but the rates were still very high. I'd also requested a Suite Upgrade using my Diamond voucher. We had a few problems finding the hotel but eventually came across the Park Hyatt Car Park so parked there.

Got there late due to flight delays so completely knackered. Front desk wouldn't even discuss a suite upgrade so given a spa room and access to the Park Lounge which was closed for the evening. We specifically checked about breakfast the next morning in the lounge and were assured that would be fine.

Next morning went the lounge which was deserted and no food. Phoned front desk and were told only used on Sundays and also couldn't tell if our rate included breakfast from our reservation :confused: Decided not to risk paying for a very expensive breakfast so checked out.

Next surprise is that the Park Hyatt car Park is nothing to do with the Park Hyatt, even though the elevator from the car park comes to the hotel reception, so had to pay separately.

I emailed the GM as soon as we got back but not a word to date. Compared to the GH this place sucks - won't be seeing me again

meducate Mar 19, 2008 7:22 am

To update this thread: I chose to stay at the GH in Melbourne vs the PH and was pleased to say the least! I walked to and from the convention centre (approx 20 mins each way), and found this an ideal location for a brisk walk!

The staff in the RC were responsive, nice, warm and charming. They went out of their way to make me feel not only comfortable but incredibly welcomed! I enjoyed my stay and cannot wait to return. I almost forgot that the entire hotel was impossible to be seen from the street because of the construction!

The only drawback was the lack of actual restaurants because of the construction...

777 global mile hound Mar 19, 2008 8:55 am

Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy (Post 9432114)
Stayed here a couple of weeks ago for an overnighter after flying in from Perth. I'd made the booking months ago but the rates were still very high. I'd also requested a Suite Upgrade using my Diamond voucher. We had a few problems finding the hotel but eventually came across the Park Hyatt Car Park so parked there.

Got there late due to flight delays so completely knackered. Front desk wouldn't even discuss a suite upgrade so given a spa room and access to the Park Lounge which was closed for the evening. We specifically checked about breakfast the next morning in the lounge and were assured that would be fine.

Next morning went the lounge which was deserted and no food. Phoned front desk and were told only used on Sundays and also couldn't tell if our rate included breakfast from our reservation :confused: Decided not to risk paying for a very expensive breakfast so checked out.

Next surprise is that the Park Hyatt car Park is nothing to do with the Park Hyatt, even though the elevator from the car park comes to the hotel reception, so had to pay separately.

I emailed the GM as soon as we got back but not a word to date. Compared to the GH this place sucks - won't be seeing me again

This remains consistent with my own past experience.However my issues were never related to room assignment.That was simply outstanding.Everything else was sadly high failure and the complete lack of interest of those responsible to take ownership of problems or at least open the lines of discussion like ladies and gentlemen.The GM has consistently made himself unavailable to guests and hides in an office on property when in house.Based on the performance or lack of it I might choose the same if I was in this individuals shoes and I knew I could get away with it. Sadly Hyatt allows a premium brand to continue to go unchecked for years now.

My observations and those of others is its total hit and miss situation depending on the time you go.Too many other consistent choices in town.I consider the property the bottom of the barrel when considering a 4 star in Melbourne regarding everything except room standard and public area conditions

BAGoldBoy Mar 20, 2008 9:30 am

I finally had a response from the GM - he admitted that there had been several failures in the information that we had been given at check in and later by other front desk staff.

No offer of any kind of compensation or even a proper apology just a note to say he hoped that despite our issues we would stay there next time we visited Melbourne - not if you paid me!

ThomasBne Jul 14, 2008 6:18 pm

Park Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Deleted.

Bondiboy Jul 14, 2008 6:50 pm

It sort of depends upon the nature of the complaint (service, Gold Passport, etc.) and the desired outcome.

It is always wise to start with the hotel and then work up the chain, if necessary.

RichardInSF Jul 15, 2008 12:33 am

Originally Posted by Bondiboy (Post 10034161)
It sort of depends upon the nature of the complaint (service, Gold Passport, etc.) and the desired outcome.

It is always wise to start with the hotel and then work up the chain, if necessary.

Except in the case of this hotel, although I must admit my last stay there was better than all my earlier ones so maybe things are improving. It might be better to start by emailing GP customer service (or at least copying them on an email to the GM).

tinkybelle Jul 15, 2008 2:29 am

Gee I have stayed that this hotel since the opening at least 8 times a year and have NEVER had
bad service
wrong account
bad checkin
bad checkout
bad rooms
bad food or
bad drinks.. what could possibly have gone wrong on your familys stay??

BAGoldBoy Jul 15, 2008 4:05 am

I had an awful stay at this property earlier this year. I complained to the GM and got back an email acknowledging all of the problems we had encountered and that was it!

I'll never stay there again. If the GM has that kind of attitude then it's no wonder the staff don't really care :mad:

Aircoco Jul 15, 2008 4:52 am

The service at this hotel is not very consistent, sometimes it can be rather bad. Once, the AC was not working, and they didn't do much to rectify the issue.

I have moved over to the Westin since....

RichardInSF Jul 15, 2008 11:22 am

Originally Posted by tinkybelle (Post 10035501)
Gee I have stayed that this hotel since the opening at least 8 times a year and have NEVER had
bad service
wrong account
bad checkin
bad checkout
bad rooms
bad food or
bad drinks.. what could possibly have gone wrong on your familys stay??

They like you, they like you!

My most dramatic failure was the time the cold water stopped working in the middle of the night for half the hotel (including the room I was in). This meant that, among other things, toilets wouldn't flush. The front desk refused to do anything about it until late the next morning because they didn't want to bother the plumber during the night.

But there were many, many other failures that were less dramatic. As another PH GM, referring to this hotel, said to me around that time, "It's the result of focussing on profitability at all costs instead of on growing revenue."