Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency London the Churchill REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency London the Churchill REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2011, 5:55 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Things that are within a 10 minute walk include not only Selfridges, Marks&Spencer, Bond St tube, and Marble Arch tube, but off the top of my head:

--Speakers Corner
--The Wallace Collection
--One or more Zipcar collection points
--Multiple London bike scheme bike locations
--the US embassy
--a zillion other stores, including a giant Primark, home of very cheap "wear once" clothes

What did I miss?

P.S. The closest pub to the hotel, the one down that alley next to the Arabic bank, is nothing at all special.
Wigmore hall, comptoir libanaise and wagamamas.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 6:13 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Ping pong, gentlemen's tonic, Burberry Bond Street, Liberty
Old Nov 29, 2011, 3:55 am

Booked advanced rate for a weekend in January at 160GBP excl. taxes.
Called GP to use one of my suite certs. Extremely helpful and friendly, 30 seconds later confirmed in a Regency King suite. Are there different types of Regency King suites? I read in this thread 9th floor have balconies. Is 9th floor preferable?

Will be my first experience as Diamond, looking forward.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 4:43 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
All Regency Suite Kings are on the 9th floor. Most of these have balconies. Those which are part of the Presidential Suites do not, but I prefer. Executive Suite Kings are larger and on other floors, but the suite upgrade doesn't cover those.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 6:44 am

Great, thank you.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 3:34 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Club Lounge Food?

Can anyone provide an update on the club lounge food? Some previous descriptions made it seem sparse, including breakfast. Also, what hours does the lounge serve food, and do they serve afternoon tea?

Thanks.....
Old Dec 24, 2011, 4:21 pm

Breakfast is fine: fresh fruit, breads, pastries, meats, cheese, fish... Normal continental plus eggs to order.

No afternoon tea as such, just some biscuits and fruit out.

Dinner has plenty for meal. Smoked fish, dips, crudités, cheese, bread, some cold canapés, deserts. Plus 3 hot dishes served as hot canapés such as fish and chips, quiche, dim sum, prawns, samosas...things like that.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 5:29 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by price123
Breakfast is fine: fresh fruit, breads, pastries, meats, cheese, fish... Normal continental plus eggs to order.

No afternoon tea as such, just some biscuits and fruit out.

Dinner has plenty for meal. Smoked fish, dips, crudités, cheese, bread, some cold canapés, deserts. Plus 3 hot dishes served as hot canapés such as fish and chips, quiche, dim sum, prawns, samosas...things like that.
Hmmm, this seems to be a cutback over what was served a few years ago. Back then, I recall a substantial afternoon tea (still served at, say, the Hilton Tower Bridge executive lounge). And it appears the current breakfast is inferior to Hilton's offering, especially Hilton's restaurant option offered to Diamonds. The Hyatt's evening food still sounds decent.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 7:49 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by Explore
Hmmm, this seems to be a cutback over what was served a few years ago. Back then, I recall a substantial afternoon tea (still served at, say, the Hilton Tower Bridge executive lounge). And it appears the current breakfast is inferior to Hilton's offering, especially Hilton's restaurant option offered to Diamonds. The Hyatt's evening food still sounds decent.
The London Hilton on Park Lane also has a great afternoon tea in their lounge. The Churchill remains my go to London destination but could use some lounge improvements...
Old Dec 25, 2011, 2:21 pm

The IC also has good afternoon tea but rates are so much higher. Tobe honest I have never had a better breakfast at a Hilton than at the Churchill, but I guess it all depends on your likes. I agree that an afternoon tea would cost little but add a lot. The evening selection is pretty good and quality is quite high.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 4:16 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by meducate
The London Hilton on Park Lane also has a great afternoon tea in their lounge. The Churchill remains my go to London destination but could use some lounge improvements...
I remain a huge fan of the Hyatt Churchill because of world class hotel management and very nice accommodations.
However I have to agree the lounge offerings were disappointing especially in comparison to the Grand Hyatt Berlin which was outstanding in almost every way ^
Items on the Churchill buffet were not replenished at all or in a reasonable timely manner.Service was strained in both lounges.

The Hyatt Churchill had the same tired limited selection in the evening.I would get a beverage and leave.
The wonderful high quality European cookies they had in recent years past in the afternoon are now also gone.

The team on the other hand at the GH berlin took care as of as VIPs and spoiled us.
If the Club @ The Grand Hyatt Berlin ran out of something they would run to the ground floor and get it.
If they knew you liked something they would save some till your arrival into the lounge each morning The Club manager there is brilliant.

If that wasn't fantastic enough something I never knew before one could order up complimentary hot cooked to order eggs.
Saw another guest do it and thought they paid. I did it one morning of the stay and the eggs were delicious and just added to what I thought is one of the best run club lounges anywhere in the world.
The other thing that is simply remarkable and noteworthy of the Grand Hyatt Berlin is the club hours on weekends it is open for breakfast till well past noon.2 PM ?
If I remember correctly.
For many late owls and late sleepers I can’t think of a hotel anywhere in the world more accommodating^

The Hyatt Churchill needs improvement in lounge offerings quality and variety It was clearly somewhat better in the past.The other noticeable service drop was the Montagu restaurant guest service. There are some very nice team members still that work at the Hyatt Churchill & Montagu and there has been a lot of turnover of some of my favorite polished and outgoing team members.Perhaps in time they too will excel.

None the less despite the bumps in the road the guest rooms @ the Churchill were comfortable/relaxing and the team proffesional except for the restaurant which at times sunk to knew service lows
The food @ Montagu was really nice with kudos on the bread basket with fresh baked bread and some of the most delicious better I have ever tasted which oddly was imported from Holland.I tried to find it here in the US but sadly they are not exporting from Holland

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Dec 25, 2011 at 4:21 pm
Old Dec 25, 2011, 7:26 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Curious, I think the club offerings are now better than they used to be. I do enjoy the added ability to request freshly cooked eggs in the morning, and the snacks at night seem decent as well. While it's not like the GH Hong Kong club room (what else is?) I find it still quite acceptable. Go figure.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 10:07 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Curious, I think the club offerings are now better than they used to be. I do enjoy the added ability to request freshly cooked eggs in the morning, and the snacks at night seem decent as well. While it's not like the GH Hong Kong club room (what else is?) I find it still quite acceptable. Go figure.
If eggs now exist at the Churchill (and I think they do) we were never advised as such anytime during our stay. It’s coming to me now that we did notice somebody ordering towards the end of our stay
Unfortunately both lounges were packed and we could not get anyone to even look at us let alone take an order. And that’s with two lounges now compared to the one previously

Food is highly subjective having said that I suppose every stay could be similar or different.
My last stay at the Churchill was mid October.
The Grand Hyatt Tokyo Club is also outstanding as is Grand Hyatt Berlin.
The Churchill doesn't compare for me personally though their soft drink/beverage selection is outstanding. It’s not that its bad it just doesn't compare to the quality and service experienced in other Hyatt International clubs.

My personal preference is a wide variety of excellent freshly baked goods, premium preserves,excellent high quality smoked salmon without fishy odors, tough rubbery edges and untrimmed edges, ham, Swiss and other cheeses of choice.It's not even variety typically its the quality.
For example the Churchill had no fresh sliced fruit most mornings.
It had Hyatt Place style fruit salad in water with mostly apples
I expect that incidently at a Holiday Inn Express/Hyatt Place not the Churchill

I am looking forward to my first stay at the Grand Hyatt Hong Kong early next year where I guess the fare will be similar to the very nice Conrad where Dim Sum is the order of the day

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Dec 25, 2011 at 10:15 pm
Old Dec 26, 2011, 4:50 am

Having stayed numerous nights at the Churchill, there is always fresh chunks of fruit - usually melon, pineapple and one other, as well as a fresh fruit salad in orange juice (often flavoured delicately with star anise).

Maybe it is just being frequent guests, bu the staff go out of their way for us: going to Selfridges for duck eggs whenever we are coming, and bringing slimline tonic up from the restaurant each evening for me. They also always remember how we have our drinks, which table we prefer etc.

I find the food better in the Churchill than in Berlin, but did love the service in Berlin too.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 6:29 am

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I remain a huge fan of the Hyatt Churchill because of world class hotel management
However I have to agree the lounge offerings were disappointing

Items on the Churchill buffet were not replenished at all or in a reasonable timely manner.Service was strained in both lounges.

The Hyatt Churchill had the same tired limited selection in the evening.

The wonderful high quality European cookies they had in recent years past in the afternoon are now also gone.

The Hyatt Churchill needs improvement in lounge offerings quality and variety

The other noticeable service drop was the Montagu restaurant guest service.

except for the restaurant which at times sunk to knew service lows
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Unfortunately both lounges were packed and we could not get anyone to even look at us let alone take an order.

For example the Churchill had no fresh sliced fruit most mornings.
It had Hyatt Place style fruit salad in water with mostly apples
I expect that incidently at a Holiday Inn Express/Hyatt Place not the Churchill

Bolding mine-but how can you put "world class management" in the same lines as service "lows"????

I think the mngt here STINKS-it is the WRST run hotel I have ever seen.

I will continue to spend my hard earned money at the Marriott County Hall, and NEVER step ft back in this hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.