Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Jakarta REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Jakarta REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2014, 12:54 am

Programs: SA Lifetime Gold, DL Diamond, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by mikew99
This is precisely why anything of value stays in a safe or on my person. This doesn't excuse the hotel's lackadaisical treatment of your luggage, but there shouldn't have been anything of value in there in the first place, certainly not money and passports! I don't allow taxi drivers or bellhops handle bags containing my important or valuable items. Please don't let valuables out of your sight again.
I guess I have become too trusting of hotel staff after more than a decade of relying on them without incident. Will surely take your advise into consideration before I find myself in a real bad situation.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 7:52 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

This is precisely why anything of value stays in a safe or on my person. This doesn't excuse the hotel's lackadaisical treatment of your luggage, but there shouldn't have been anything of value in there in the first place, certainly not money and passports! I don't allow taxi drivers or bellhops handle bags containing my important or valuable items. Please don't let valuables out of your sight again.
+1 - a few years ago the HR Churchill London did the same with our bags.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 1:38 pm
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Your post gives a lot of detail, but it misses the most important part: What did you ask the hotel to do with your bags? Did you tell them you would be away for 6 hours? Did you just give them to the bellman and say you were checking out? (He might have taken them to the taxi stand so they were ready for you after you paid your bill.)

I agree that leaving them at the taxi stand that long seems like a mistake, but the point of a taxi stand is that it's supervised, just like a formal luggage facility at the hotel.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 7:08 pm

Programs: SA Lifetime Gold, DL Diamond, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Scottrick
Your post gives a lot of detail, but it misses the most important part: What did you ask the hotel to do with your bags? Did you tell them you would be away for 6 hours? Did you just give them to the bellman and say you were checking out? (He might have taken them to the taxi stand so they were ready for you after you paid your bill.)

I agree that leaving them at the taxi stand that long seems like a mistake, but the point of a taxi stand is that it's supervised, just like a formal luggage facility at the hotel.
Scott, to clarify, during checkout (1pm), I told the front desk (not the bell boy) that I would be leaving my bags and picking them up later in the evening. She asked me about my flight details and I told her 10pm and that I will come back around 7pm to pick-up my bags. I left my bags with her at the front desk. She gave me my luggage tag and then said that they will be kept in storage for me.... (I know where the storage room is as I visit this hotel quite often... and my bags were not kept in there).

FYI - the taxi area can become quite busy, especially during weddings and conferences, and it is not always supervised properly.

UPDATE: They have emailed me a few times already apologizing for the mistake and reassured me that they will seek for a solution so that this does not happen again.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I think it's pretty common for luggage to be kept in this area if you're leaving soon. For a longer amount of time, they probably shouldn't have left them there.

In my many, many stays here, nothing has ever turned up missing, and I find the luggage people, and all the staff here to be quite good.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just checked in for a P+C stay here. They have a promo listed in the room that has a 1,999,999++ IDR promo during Ramadan for Indonesia citizens or residents (Kitas). Includes 2 adult, 2 kids breakfast. 400k food/beverage/spa credit per day, free Internet, and one free day pass to a kids place in the mall next door.

About $206 with tax/service, which is pretty good for this location. Most hotels are pretty strict on getting ID for these types of promos, but ymmv. They also have a lot of weekend promos. I don't know if they have the same residency restrictions.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, UA 1P
Interesting how none of the big bloggers have any trip reports of the GH Jakarta. Staying here for 10 days next week and am curious how things will be...

Heard from a local friend that Immigrant nightclub and eX entertainment complex are both under construction at the Plaza Indonesia...
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by chubbuni13
Interesting how none of the big bloggers have any trip reports of the GH Jakarta. Staying here for 10 days next week and am curious how things will be...

Heard from a local friend that Immigrant nightclub and eX entertainment complex are both under construction at the Plaza Indonesia...
There is not much to rave/review about... Jakarta is not a city one visits for vacation. I have stayed at this property at least 4x. I find the rooms very dated, especially the bathrooms. Marble looks nice when are 3 ft away
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zxsuxr
There is not much to rave/review about... Jakarta is not a city one visits for vacation. I have stayed at this property at least 4x. I find the rooms very dated, especially the bathrooms. Marble looks nice when are 3 ft away
They've renovated a lot of the higher floors, at least the standard rooms. I stayed in a suite last month, and it definitely needed a makeover.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 12:48 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist

I've been to Jakarta 5 or 6 times (always on vacation; it's been years since I've needed to travel for business), and on all but one visit I have stayed at the Hyatt on points. It used to be 5K, but even at 8K, it's a very good value for a Diamond on points. The one time I didn't stay at the Hyatt, I stayed at the Crowne Plaza (also on points), but the Hyatt is better in every way.

I have never stayed in a suite at the GH Jakarta, but the regular rooms are nicely appointed, incredibly big, and very comfortable, so I have never felt the need to try for a suite.

The club lounge is the best part; the spread of food and drinks for breakfast and dinner puts most American clubs to shame.

Unfortunately, I'm not longer a Diamond, so the value proposition (even on points) isn't as strong for me as it was before. I'm headed back to Jakarta shortly, but I'll instead be staying in a 1-br serviced apartment nearby.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been to Jakarta 5 or 6 times (always on vacation; it's been years since I've needed to travel for business), and on all but one visit I have stayed at the Hyatt on points. It used to be 5K, but even at 8K, it's a very good value for a Diamond on points. The one time I didn't stay at the Hyatt, I stayed at the Crowne Plaza (also on points), but the Hyatt is better in every way.

I have never stayed in a suite at the GH Jakarta, but the regular rooms are nicely appointed, incredibly big, and very comfortable, so I have never felt the need to try for a suite.

The club lounge is the best part; the spread of food and drinks for breakfast and dinner puts most American clubs to shame.

Unfortunately, I'm not longer a Diamond, so the value proposition (even on points) isn't as strong for me as it was before. I'm headed back to Jakarta shortly, but I'll instead be staying in a 1-br serviced apartment nearby.
GH Jakarta increased to 12k per night earlier this year. I loved it when it was $100++ a night, or 5k points.

I agree with most of your points. You definitely want to be a diamond at this property, as the lounge is one of the best benefits.

Don't forget the points and cash option. (6k and about $91) these stays count towards your night totals. And if you are doing a lot of stays, a Diamond challenge can be a really good option.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 3:26 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
GH Jakarta increased to 12k per night earlier this year. I loved it when it was $100++ a night, or 5k points.
When I booked my first stay at the GH Jakarta back in 2011, it was at the 5K points rate. I'm glad that I got in a stay last December for "only" 8K points! It's disappointing that the points cost went up 50%, but I can't say that I'm surprised, given the generally high level of service and the high (for Jakarta) US$200++ cash room rates.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:56 pm

At a Category 2, I think this was one of the best (if not THE BEST) value propositions in the Hyatt portfolio... as a Cat 3, it's still fairly good in my opinion when using cash+points or just 12k points, especially compared to the $300 USD revenue rates.

The fitness center and spa are fantastic and massages are unbelievably cheap at 350,000 Rupiah all-in ($35 USD) after the Diamond member discount. As others have said, the lounge is a great benefit and for those that like to drink (I do) in high priced Jakarta, I'm sure I saved hundreds of dollars making cocktails for myself in the club lounge over the 10 nights I was there instead of paying $15 apiece outside. Brought a few native friends to the lounge and although they weren't exactly impressed by the food, they said it was definitely much better than they expected.

Rooms were well apportioned and I'm guessing I got one of the renovated units because I thought everything looked new and fresh. I also liked the relative size of the room, it must've been 550-600 sq. ft. which is huge compared to the tiny rooms I get in NYC.

Finally, I thought the service was top notch at the hotel and there were several staff members who remembered our names, favorite drinks, so forth... to be fair, my cousin that I was staying with is a very noticeable guy (6'3" looks like Asian Mr. Universe) so I'm guessing it could've been that.

TLDR: Highly recommended, great stay and very much looking forward to going back again.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was a much better deal when it was category 1!

I just left yesterday, and as usual thought the staff was excellent. We were there over the Islamic New Year Weekend, and the lounge was a zoo with some 10 year old girls scarfing up all the salmon and sushi as soon as it was put out.

The lounge staff is the high point. Many of the long time staff remember what you like, even if it's months afterwards. And you don't have to look like an Asian Mr Universe.

We had a suite, and I just find that they're in moderate shape, at best. The bathroom always has wooden floor molding that is water damaged, peeling paint, etc.

We also had the misfortune of being on the 11th floor. We wanted the suite with the kitchen, and they had to move us last minute. I think the 11th floor is where they put all the families with screaming kids. There has been a large body sized water stain in the hallway for at least the last 10 months. There's a leak coming from somewhere, that they haven't fixed.

We have 3 more stays this year, including New Year's Eve booked at 8k per night.

At a Category 2, I think this was one of the best (if not THE BEST) value propositions in the Hyatt portfolio... as a Cat 3, it's still fairly good in my opinion when using cash+points or just 12k points, especially compared to the $300 USD revenue rates.

The fitness center and spa are fantastic and massages are unbelievably cheap at 350,000 Rupiah all-in ($35 USD) after the Diamond member discount. As others have said, the lounge is a great benefit and for those that like to drink (I do) in high priced Jakarta, I'm sure I saved hundreds of dollars making cocktails for myself in the club lounge over the 10 nights I was there instead of paying $15 apiece outside. Brought a few native friends to the lounge and although they weren't exactly impressed by the food, they said it was definitely much better than they expected.

Rooms were well apportioned and I'm guessing I got one of the renovated units because I thought everything looked new and fresh. I also liked the relative size of the room, it must've been 550-600 sq. ft. which is huge compared to the tiny rooms I get in NYC.

Finally, I thought the service was top notch at the hotel and there were several staff members who remembered our names, favorite drinks, so forth... to be fair, my cousin that I was staying with is a very noticeable guy (6'3" looks like Asian Mr. Universe) so I'm guessing it could've been that.

TLDR: Highly recommended, great stay and very much looking forward to going back again.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
It was a much better deal when it was category 1!

I just left yesterday, and as usual thought the staff was excellent. We were there over the Islamic New Year Weekend, and the lounge was a zoo with some 10 year old girls scarfing up all the salmon and sushi as soon as it was put out.

The lounge staff is the high point. Many of the long time staff remember what you like, even if it's months afterwards. And you don't have to look like an Asian Mr Universe.

We had a suite, and I just find that they're in moderate shape, at best. The bathroom always has wooden floor molding that is water damaged, peeling paint, etc.

We also had the misfortune of being on the 11th floor. We wanted the suite with the kitchen, and they had to move us last minute. I think the 11th floor is where they put all the families with screaming kids. There has been a large body sized water stain in the hallway for at least the last 10 months. There's a leak coming from somewhere, that they haven't fixed.

We have 3 more stays this year, including New Year's Eve booked at 8k per night.
Haha, I did notice the screaming kids thing too, but I really try to take things in stride. Just drink my vodka soda and go to a quiet place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.