Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Cologne (Köln) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Cologne (Köln) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2005, 2:34 am

Programs: LH, United, Hyatt, Air France
Quite agree with some comments posted here - the hotel is quite nice. I like its location. The health club is also a plus. The food at the Regency Club is above average - just wished they added warm food as well.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 4:38 am

No Irons at Hyatt Regency Cologne

I just finished a two night stay at Hyatt Cologne, and experienced the following: I went to Cologne for a huge exhibition, checked in late the first evening, around 10:00pm. Rate was EUR 330/night. Asked Concierge to send me up an iron and ironing board, but he replied all had been taken. He offered to ask Housekeeping to press my clothes for me (at a charge, of course). I declined, but later checked that the express pressing charges were outrageous. Anyway, the concierge told me that the hotel only had 20 irons for the 300+ rooms, which I thought was quite low. Since this hotel was so near the exhibition grounds and with so many fair visitors, I suggested to them that they should put an iron in each room.

OK, next morning, called down to Concierge to reserve an iron for that evening, but again, told that it was not possible. The guests had kept the irong in their rooms. However, the Concierge offered to ask housekeeping to press my clothes for me. Again, I declined.

Got back late afternoon, and called HOUSEKEEPING this time to ask for an iron. The girl replied, sure no problem. I asked again..."you're sure you have one?" She said, "Yes they are right here. Did you want an ironing board as well?" GREAT! Two minutes later, the concierge called back and said that Housekeeping was mistaken, and they did not have any irons available, BUT they could ask Housekeeping to press my clothes for me. I told him the Concierge that the girl actually DID have an iron, but he offered some lame excuse, and in the end, still couldn't give me one.

So, I'm beginning to think the hotel hides all the irons during exhbition time, and then "forces" customers to use the pressing service. Is it just me, or does no one iron their own clothes?!

In the end, i just hung my clothes in the shower and turned on hot water for one hour each night to steam my clothes. Actually, worked better than ironing, and I didn't have to do any work!

Last edited by Fly Me To The Moon; Feb 3, 2006 at 4:41 am
Old Aug 17, 2006, 10:41 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Bumping this up~
I'll be doing a one night stay in the area and am undecided between Le Meridan or Hyatt. I'm top tier at both Hyatt & Starwood and the rates are basically the same (around e 140 for a Sat night in Nov). Any recent stays or comments? Not really concerned about a suite upgrade, but do like the idea of having a lounge/RC available. Also what about transport from CGN, both sites only give driving directions, is there a bus/train to the city center? Thanks!
Old Aug 17, 2006, 11:06 am

Stayed in Jan. 2006. RC was excellent. Normalo European breakfast, but will cook eggs if requested. In evening, champaigne, beer, etc. with decent food. RC staff was also excellent. You can cab it from airport (about 22 E IIRC) or take train to main station and then cab, or train to station before main station (don't remember name). Maybe there are more recent stays, but I was very satisfied except for dining on site.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by mauld
Bumping this up~
I'll be doing a one night stay in the area and am undecided between Le Meridan or Hyatt. I'm top tier at both Hyatt & Starwood and the rates are basically the same (around e 140 for a Sat night in Nov). Any recent stays or comments? Not really concerned about a suite upgrade, but do like the idea of having a lounge/RC available. Also what about transport from CGN, both sites only give driving directions, is there a bus/train to the city center? Thanks!
One big difference between the two hotels is that the Hyatt is on the other side of the Rhine river (not the city side). The LeM is on the city side and the hotel is located very close to the main Cologne train station and shopping and dining areas. Hyatt is more for the convention crowd since it is located very close to the Köln Messe Convention Center. For location and being in the city I would go with the LeM. Another *W alternative to consider is the 4Points which gets good reviews considering it's a 4Points.

Last edited by christianj; Aug 17, 2006 at 11:43 am
Old Aug 17, 2006, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Chances of getting a suite ( for free as a regular upgrade ) are not really big, especially on weekends, when several TV stations record programs in Cologne and book their guys there.You will see some of the guys in the RC on sunday morning and they really sell those suites on weekends. It is still one of two top hotels in town and gets a lot of free PR from the celebs. staying there.

The other one is the Hotel im Wasserturm:
http://www.hotel-im-wasserturm.de/

But I used suite upgrade certs there and was always given a suite without the discussions other hotels started and are reported here on FT...

You can actually take the train to Cologne Deutz railway station, it is an easy 400-500 metres walk, just follow the signs. I do not mind walking to the other side of the Rhine using the pedestrian sidewalk of the Hohenzollern bridge, but as pointed out, the Le Meridien has a prime location and if you want to stay downtown, the Le Meridien is the better choice.

RC is nice and has amazing views, so my recommendation would be the Hyatt !
Old Sep 28, 2006, 2:37 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Hilton or Hyatt for a city break ?

I’m visiting Cologne for the Christmas markets in December with Mrs Nollag. I’m Diamond with both Hilton and Hyatt, and the room rates are roughly the same.
Given the choice of the above two hotels for a leisure break, which would you go for? Are they both of comparable standard? Do they both have an exec lounge / RC? What is the gym (or pool) like in both? How near are they to the cathedral?
Old Sep 30, 2006, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by nollag
I’m visiting Cologne for the Christmas markets in December with Mrs Nollag. I’m Diamond with both Hilton and Hyatt, and the room rates are roughly the same.
Given the choice of the above two hotels for a leisure break, which would you go for? Are they both of comparable standard? Do they both have an exec lounge / RC? What is the gym (or pool) like in both? How near are they to the cathedral?
Hyatt Cologne has a very nice lounge with a quite unique view on the Rhine and the Dome. Breakfast is quite nice and evening food could be improved with hot food. The pool is quite nice, with a full sauna, steam room and equipment room. It is my favorite hotel in Cologne - I like the Graugans restaurant for its innovative/nice looking food. If you go, be sure to reserve table with Cathedral view. Final recommendation: one side of the hotel is facing the railway - ask for room on the other side if you want them to be quieter.
The Hilton would not be my alternative choice. If you like exceptional servicem stay at the Excelcior. If you like architecture, stay at the Wasserturm...but none of those beat the sunset views you could have from the Regency Club.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 7:16 am

River/Dom View = No RC Access ???

I'll be staying one night (tomorrow) at the Hyatt Cologne, and I just called to reconfirm. I asked about a river / Dom view room and was told that as a Diamond, I was booked on the RC floor and that NONE of those rooms have river/Dom views. She did say, the RC had a Dom view, and if I wanted a room with that view, I would have to rebook a more expensive room & pay for that upgrade and would NOT be allowed access to the RC?? I explained that, as a Diamond, I was hoping for a room upgrade with a view and could I possibly have a room card allowing me access to the RC? She said, she had never heard of that being allowed? Any comments, or experience (I am not looking for a suite, and will only be there one night, with an early check out the next day ((Sunday)) and it appears there is still tons of availability.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 2:02 am

It does not make sence too me either. Who did you talk to ? Reception of the hotel or the reservation center in Mainz ? I don't understand why - if you paid for a higher room category - you would then not be entitled to RC access. Especially in a property with week end packages and G1 bonus.
Looks like this can be easily solved upon check in by the front office.
Enjoy Cologne !
Old Feb 3, 2007, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Ducatibiker
It does not make sence too me either.
!
Many international Hyatt's are enforcing the "new" policy that RC access will only be granted to those with rooms on the Club Floor.

We were all advised of this change a couple of years ago.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 2:44 pm

I am back, from my stay at the Hyatt Cologne, and I can understand why they only allow RC access to those on the floor. The RC is in the open area when you get off the elevator, so there really is no Key access and anyone who gets off is literally in the RC. But as for the woman who told me NONE of the RC rooms have river/Dom views (I had dialed directly to Cologne, so it was one of their own staffers), that was incorrect. There were many rooms facing the Dom-- and from the look of newspapers outside the doors this Sun morning at 7am, it didn't appear that all were taken!! I was given a side room looking south, but it did have a river view as well as a narrow window that opened. Other than not getting a Dom view, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay, the room was large and modern, and the food/beverages in the RC was fantastic-- both at breakfast, and especially in the evening. I was very happy I had decided to stay here, rather than at the 4 Points Koln, at which I also had a reservation (doing a quick Mattress Run there at a e69 rate). And for those who care, I was given a Single (as in ONE TWIN BED), even as a Platinum at the 4P, the room itself was about 5' wide with a view of construction, right next to the rear of the train station!! (I checked in and checked out the same day, being very happy I had to Hyatt to return to).
Old Feb 7, 2007, 6:48 pm

Did you follow my suggestion about the Stay Certificate rate?

I don't understand why people defend the 4pts so much because it looks like a dump in comparison to the Hyatt, expecially if you have Hyatt Diamond status.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 8:14 am

I used a discounted corp rate of e 110 at the Hyatt, and as I mentioned, while I didn't have a Dom view, my room at the Hyatt looked south from the side along the river. I agree with the last statement on the 4P's-- I found it (IMO) very shabby and combined with all the construction going on around it, as well as the poor treatment I recieved as a Plat, I won't be rushing back there anytime soon. Yes, the rate was cheaper, but as a woman travelling alone, I'd rather pay up for a safer atomosphere, and a bit more luxe surroundings. I would have gone for the LM Dom, but figured Starwood would not credit me for 2 stays on the same day in the same city-- so I opted for the Hyatt, when I moved. (PS, the rate I was quoted for the Dom was e 120 for that Sat night stay).

Last edited by mauld; Feb 8, 2007 at 8:16 am Reason: spelling
Old Jan 25, 2008, 12:46 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM, AC SE*100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Thumbs down Hyatt Regency Cologne - Smoking only LOUNGE!!!

Well, I checked in the Hyatt Cologne - 1st time at the hotel. As a Diamond, got upgraded to the Regency Club room and access to the RC Lounge. Nice lounge and good food. However, the entire lounge is SMOKING with ashtrays on every table. I asked the attendant for the non smoking section and was informed there is no section for non smokers! what the F*CK!!!!

I thought Germany went smoke free zone???!!!

This is the first lounge I have been in where SMOKING is allowed in the LOUNGE, and there is no separation of Smokers and non-smokers!!!

... rant over...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.