Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Thompson Denver REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thompson Denver REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2023, 5:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by lsquare
Thank you. I have 10 minutes to decide between the GH and the Thompson. The Thompson is only $8 more expensive, but all the reviews j have read this far said the GH is where I need to be. Decision, decision, decision...
It’s been 11 minutes. What did you go with?
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by CLEguy
It’s been 11 minutes. What did you go with?
😂😆🤣

I'm at the Thompson now. I don't know if I was upgraded or not. I just booked a king bed. I'm on the 11th floor. My room looks really new. No suites as they're all sold out for the day. I suspect this is due to all the UA cancellations out of DEN. LG NanoCell TV and DS & Durga Bowmakers toiletries. Nice.

So the front desk said I have $40 to use for breakfast as part of my Globalist benefits. However, that includes taxes and gratuities? Is there even enough for a meal? I was also told I can use them for lunch, but I just need to let them know so they can inform the restaurant. Has anyone done this before?
Old Jul 2, 2023, 2:53 pm

Just finished up a three night stay.

I booked a Prive rate that included $100 property credit, breakfast of $40 person/day, and and welcome amenity. All-in for three nights we only paid a little over $700 which is a decent value, especially if you set your expectations appropriately on the service (or lack of) you’ll receive.

We had two rooms, one Skyline Suite via TSU and one King Corner room. Unless you really need the space, I’d stick with the corner room due to the views and windows. The Skyline Suite was dark and felt a bit cave-like. Rooms were very nice for the price point. Great shower, nice beds, and mostly high-end fixtures throughout.

Breakfast at Chez Maggy was delicious. They let you order up until 12:30pm so you could even eat lunch there. A few of the menu highlights were their excellent burger, french onion soup, and the Dutch Baby. We had cocktails and dessert at Reynards Social to use our $100 credit and everything was good.

Some of the perks offered in the Destination Fee were decent. I highly recommend going across the street to the Milk Tea People. Each registered guest gets one drink per day and it’s a really great spot. If you’re in the mood for something sweet their Thai Tea is the best I’ve ever had.

Service across the board was bad. Service at Chez Maggy was painfully slow (hour and fifteen minutes is too long for breakfast service). Reynard Social wait staff was incredibly slow and borderline rude. Valet took between 25-45 minutes to retrieve our car and were clueless when we asked about an ETA. We almost missed our park entrance arrival window due to valet setting us back 45 minutes. Texting service was slow and didn’t respond to half the messages I sent. Turndown didn’t show up 2/3 nights I was there even after specifically requesting it.

One thing that really stood out as an embodiment of the service this hotel offers was the only night we received turndown service. We returned to our room to see our bed still a mess (we had taken a nap in the bed), slippers in the middle of the entry way, glassware hadn’t been refreshed, towels all still on the bathroom floor, trash cans full, and no waters. The only way we even knew someone came in is because they had placed a single robe over the unmade and bed and added a single chocolate on one of the night stands (despite there obviously being two people in the room). We also found a chapstick that wasn’t ours next to the TV. I’ve never quite seen anything like it and would have preferred no turndown at all.

Overall, I’d only return here at the right cash rates with the right mindset. They have a good hard product, good food, and a great central location. The service is bad and I wouldn’t consider this a luxury hotel. Plan on asking for the check right when when food arrives. Text valet way ahead of time. Expect you may have to ask for things more than once. With a few adjustments to your thinking it can provide decent value
dpb132 and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I can't decide if I want to stay here or at the GH. For context, I'll probably stay at the GH on a Saturday night since I can't expense the personal night (and for 12k points, it's the best option downtown) and maybe the Thompson for the Sunday and Monday since I'm in town for a work thing down the block.

The recent reviews aren't really inspiring...and breakfast isn't really much of a concern since it'll be catered at the event, but since I'm a glob and it'll be free, maybe worthwhile. The brekkie at the GH isn't bad, but it's nothing special (unless it's changed substantially since I was there a couple years ago).

I guess I'm trying to decide if it's worth the hassle of moving from the GH to the Thompson, and if it's worth the roughly $40/nt upcharge. Do you still get all the inclusions that are in the "resort fee" if you're a Glob and don't have to pay it anyway? I presume so and this is likely a stupid question, I just rarely avail myself of that stuff anyway.
Old Jul 19, 2023, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Bonvoy LT Ti; National EE; WDW Passholder
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Do you still get all the inclusions that are in the "resort fee" if you're a Glob and don't have to pay it anyway? I presume so and this is likely a stupid question, I just rarely avail myself of that stuff anyway.
Stayed here in early May as a Globalist, and received destination fee entitlements upon request. For example, I had to request passes to the athletic club next door, but they were provided without any problem.
lsquare and krazykanuck like this.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Checked out yesterday after a 2 night stay for a work trip. Rates fell considerably as my dates approached, wound up paying $214 + tax, with the resort fee waived as a glob. Not sure if the hotel is getting through its new hotel growing pains, but didn't really experience many of the issues mentioned by cmag211. Main reason I stayed here is because I was attending a work event at the Westin, which is only a block away.

I found the service in Chez Maggy for breakfast to be pretty prompt, but between the menu prices and the automatic mandatory 20% service fee and sales tax, $40/pp doesn't go terribly far beyond an entree and a regular coffee. The menu on their website isn't up to date, and the current one with some higher prices is below. I had the Croque Madame one morning which was delicious, and the chiliquiles the second, which are not at all what you'd expect if you're used to mexican food. It's just a hash brown with an egg on top with some sliced avocado on the side. If I stay here again, I'm going to get the breakfast burrito but ask for the sauce that comes with the chiliquiles, which honestly was the best part of the dish.

I was upgraded to a skyline suite (room 322) and can echo the cave like comment in the living room. This compares with the Grand Hyatt where I stayed the night before and their exec suites are corner rooms so you have windows in both the bedroom and living room. Overall, I had no sizable complaints with the stay. I had to prompt the check in agent for the welcome sparkling wine since it wasn't offered proactively. I was also given a welcome gift bag with a wine split of the same red they have in the minibar.

A few random things:

- the zoo tickets are limited to 4 per day for the whole hotel, first come. I got the last one on my arrival day.
- 20% off at Oskar Blues next door was applied painlessly with a flash of a Thompson room key.

Overall I would stay here again at the right cash price point and as a glob. I don't think it's worth anywhere near the points premium vs. the GH. I will give the Thompson this, the breakfast and location is better than the GH, but I'd much rather have a suite at the GH than a suite at the Thompson.

It's also worth noting that the hotel is on the corner of Market and 16th, and as of now, that stretch of 16th St is a construction zone - as in they've completely torn up the road. I didn't really notice any impact since they are only doing work on it during the day, but if you want to use the Mallride bus, you have to walk up to 17th St. to take it east, and it comes back on 15th.

Last edited by krazykanuck; Aug 16, 2023 at 9:00 pm
Old Oct 13, 2023, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
Looking to book at this property and was wondering if anyone booked under the FHR rate, with the $100 hotel credit before? Can the credit be used for the valet parking?

Thanks!
Old Oct 17, 2023, 2:37 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Recently stayed here in 422.

- same mild gripe about the sitting room being too dark
- the desk is small and between that plus the chair it's not somewhere I would want to e.g. work remotely for the day
- "turndown" service was provided on 2 of the 3 nights (on the 3rd one I had the DND sign up) but the only visible sign of this that I can recall was a card placed on the pillow with the next day's weather forecast
- breakfast at Chez Maggy was great -- echo the Croque Madam rec, and my waiter said the other best thing in his opinion was the French Denver omelet so I had that the next day and while it was good, the Croque Madame is the winner IMO
- they have a two-person brunch deal (weekend only? I forget) that is $69 that covers two entrees (the list for the deal is a subset of the complete menu, didn't get a pic of this but pretty sure it includes both entrees I mentinoed) and a carafe of mimosas
- I came down one morning and the elevator carpets which are changed out by time-of-day still said "Good Evening" on them from the previous night
- pretty sure therefore that the $40/pp allowance is on the pre-tax/tip amount, as $69++ exceeds $80 but I did not see any restaurant charges on my folio
- at checkout the front desk said "oh, and I need to remove the destination fee" but on reviewing the statement he only did so for 2 or the 3 nights

all in all, a great stay though, would return.
FlyinHawaiian likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 1:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Quick globalist data point:

- booked queen accessible, given queen regular (low floor no view)

- unable to eat breakfast due to slow service (you need at least an hour it seems and I had meetings to get to)

—> definitely prefer GH even though rooms are nicer here.
kevinjm likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 10:12 pm
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dap891
Quick globalist data point:

- booked queen accessible, given queen regular (low floor no view)

- unable to eat breakfast due to slow service (you need at least an hour it seems and I had meetings to get to)

—> definitely prefer GH even though rooms are nicer here.
agreed, breakfast service is brutally slow. To shorten it to 45 min, look up the menu ahead of time and be ready to order immediately upon sitting. As for check as soon as food is brought
Old Dec 11, 2023, 1:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (Full), Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, Wyndham DIA, Hilton Gold, AA EXP
My stay at Thompson Denver was excellent! Stayed here for a night, booked using AMEX Fine Hotels + Resorts, used a $200 AMEX hotel credit and $100 Hyatt GC from the 40 night milestone reward.

I was upgraded to one of the Skyline Suites (saw this on my app the night before). At check-in they offered me a glass of sparkling wine, bottle of water and some sweets. They also gave me a gift bag that included a small bottle of rose and snack bag. Very professional and friendly staff.

My friend who is a Discoverist also stayed here and used FHR. His app didn’t show upgrades but he got upgraded to a “higher floor” room at check-in. I’m not sure what kind of upgrades they usually offer to FHR guests, but when I checked in, Exec Suite, Skyline Studio and Corner King were also available.

Skyline Suite which looks just like the Executive Suite but has different layout. It was dark as there is a window in the bedroom but not in the living room. I got upgraded to a Corner king room last time, and it was much brighter than this suite. There is a mini bar counter, Nespresso machine with 4 capsules and lots of wine glasses. D.S. & Durga shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, soap and a small bottle of lotion in the bathroom. Sofa bed is also in the living room.

Reynard Social was pretty cool and had great drinks. They were offering happy hour menu when I was there (daily 5-8pm).

Breakfast in Chez Maggy was great! (Also tried dinner, had a duck dish, but it wasn’t that good unfortunately)

Globalist breakfast was up to $80 although the pre-arrival email stated $35/person per day. FHR’s breakfast was $60 regardless single or double occupancy. Globalist breakfast is only available in the restaurant, but they offer room service breakfast for FHR guests.

The FHR’s $100 credit applied automatically, it took whatever the cost of food/drink but not that 20% fees or tax.

Resort/Destination fee didn’t show up on my bill, so I didn’t have to ask to remove it at check-out. Also no issue when I used my $100 millstone gift credit. They also offered me 4pm late checkout but didn’t use it.

Overall, I like this Hyatt over GH or HR Denver. I am not a pet person, but you can bring 2 dogs staying for free. All other Hyatt hotels DT Denver charge pet fees.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 12:20 am

Just completed a very nice stay here after visiting the Christmas Markets near the Civic Center. Service here was very good; from the valet staff to the restaurant staff. Amex FHR benefits were applied correctly and without issue (even got a $5 credit for wifi on the bill), I no longer have Hyatt status and they (by the book) upgraded me exactly one category to a city view (possibly the only disappointing aspect was how mediocre the view/upgrade was). Rooms themselves were a little tight (especially if you bring pets, which A+ on them for having no pet fees) but finishes were high end. Food here was truly the highlight for breakfast and dinner and Chez Maggy delivered on all accounts, great food there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.