Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Thompson Denver REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thompson Denver REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2022, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by bcosinteno
We are going next week for the grand opening celebration. I'll try to take some pictures of some of the rooms and report on the breakfast.
Any updates? Booked for a weekend in August and wondering whether to apply a TSU to get the Skyline Suite or Executive Suite.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 10:20 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Airline Nobody
Had a genuinely excellent stay this past weekend. The hotel isn't perfect but it's gorgeous and the staff were all friendly and helpful.

I booked the base room on cash and applied a TSU to the Skyline Suite, but the day before my arrival, I was further upgraded to the Mile High Suite. From my reading of the website descriptions, compared to the skyline suite it looks like this suite is slightly larger, features a (fabulous) bathtub, and is on the top floor.

Room:
Spoiler

Overall, the room was excellent. The bed was great, the living room furniture was decently comfortable, and they even had new records that we played when had some local family over to visit. Minor issues included a non-working chromecast and a disconnected light switch in the living room making it so one light couldn't be turned off. Thankfully, the sliding door between the bedroom and the living room was enough to block out the light. Despite this being on the eleventh floor, it gets noisy from the "social club" on the sixth floor and street noise. I bring earplugs everywhere so I didn't much care, but without them I would have been unamused.

Bathroom:
Spoiler

I am a sucker for a good bathroom, and this one was great. Water pressure was just okay, but this bathtub was so nice and huge. It fit two people easily and the suite came with three complimentary bath bombs as well as a jar of bath salts. The only complaint I have here is that their amenity bottles are basically impossible to squeeze so we spent far too much time aggressively shaking mini-toiletries to get body wash out... you can tell nobody used them before they shipped them!

Breakfast & Drinks:
Spoiler

Breakfast for globalists was at Chez Maggy, and I found the food to be seriously fantastic and the service to be super great as well. The welcome email stated that the benefit was $25/person, though this seemed to be slightly different in practice. Our first day we ended up with a bill of like $63 after I left an additional tip on top of the service charge, and we were charged $8.20 overage. On the second day, we ended up at $58 or so after additional gratuity, and we were charged $3.00 overage. A 20% service charge is automatically charged, but we left extra for great service. Who knows how their accounting is working, but no complaints at all. Whatever butter they serve with their baguette is INCREDIBLE. Seriously, pay the $9 for the baguette and put that butter on everything... so so so good.

We ordered drinks at the lobby bar one day and they were above average but not lifechanging. The scam destination fee includes a "free beer or wine" at the social club between 5-6 daily. I ordered a glass of wine and my partner ordered a cocktail. Both were comped by the server. The sixth floor bar is a cool environment and stopping there for the free drink was worthwhile for sure.

Overall:
This is really great hotel overall and I found the stay much more inspiring than my last at the Grand Hyatt Denver (though that wasn't bad by any means at all). Admittedly they are still working out the kinks: the wifi is terrible (7mbps up and down), the chromecasts don't connect, and the aforementioned light switches don't connect to anything. Additionally, my bill showed a $40/night fee for the Hyatt suite upgrade award which I had to ask them to remove. They immediately recognized this as an error, but it was still a bit odd. I also requested morning housekeeping when I checked in on the app, but the housekeepers hadn't arrived by noon so I went to the front desk to request service... they seemed a bit shocked that I wanted it (???) but it was done by the time we got back a few hours later.

I'll absolutely be back for the right rate, and to be perfectly honest, I'd happily pay out of pocket for the breakfast at Chez Maggy if I happened to be in town staying elsewhere.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 1:30 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by mag_nate
Had a genuinely excellent stay this past weekend. The hotel isn't perfect but it's gorgeous and the staff were all friendly and helpful.

I booked the base room on cash and applied a TSU to the Skyline Suite, but the day before my arrival, I was further upgraded to the Mile High Suite. From my reading of the website descriptions, compared to the skyline suite it looks like this suite is slightly larger, features a (fabulous) bathtub, and is on the top floor.

Room:
Spoiler

Overall, the room was excellent. The bed was great, the living room furniture was decently comfortable, and they even had new records that we played when had some local family over to visit. Minor issues included a non-working chromecast and a disconnected light switch in the living room making it so one light couldn't be turned off. Thankfully, the sliding door between the bedroom and the living room was enough to block out the light. Despite this being on the eleventh floor, it gets noisy from the "social club" on the sixth floor and street noise. I bring earplugs everywhere so I didn't much care, but without them I would have been unamused.

Bathroom:
Spoiler

I am a sucker for a good bathroom, and this one was great. Water pressure was just okay, but this bathtub was so nice and huge. It fit two people easily and the suite came with three complimentary bath bombs as well as a jar of bath salts. The only complaint I have here is that their amenity bottles are basically impossible to squeeze so we spent far too much time aggressively shaking mini-toiletries to get body wash out... you can tell nobody used them before they shipped them!

Breakfast & Drinks:
Spoiler

Breakfast for globalists was at Chez Maggy, and I found the food to be seriously fantastic and the service to be super great as well. The welcome email stated that the benefit was $25/person, though this seemed to be slightly different in practice. Our first day we ended up with a bill of like $63 after I left an additional tip on top of the service charge, and we were charged $8.20 overage. On the second day, we ended up at $58 or so after additional gratuity, and we were charged $3.00 overage. A 20% service charge is automatically charged, but we left extra for great service. Who knows how their accounting is working, but no complaints at all. Whatever butter they serve with their baguette is INCREDIBLE. Seriously, pay the $9 for the baguette and put that butter on everything... so so so good.

We ordered drinks at the lobby bar one day and they were above average but not lifechanging. The scam destination fee includes a "free beer or wine" at the social club between 5-6 daily. I ordered a glass of wine and my partner ordered a cocktail. Both were comped by the server. The sixth floor bar is a cool environment and stopping there for the free drink was worthwhile for sure.

Overall:
This is really great hotel overall and I found the stay much more inspiring than my last at the Grand Hyatt Denver (though that wasn't bad by any means at all). Admittedly they are still working out the kinks: the wifi is terrible (7mbps up and down), the chromecasts don't connect, and the aforementioned light switches don't connect to anything. Additionally, my bill showed a $40/night fee for the Hyatt suite upgrade award which I had to ask them to remove. They immediately recognized this as an error, but it was still a bit odd. I also requested morning housekeeping when I checked in on the app, but the housekeepers hadn't arrived by noon so I went to the front desk to request service... they seemed a bit shocked that I wanted it (???) but it was done by the time we got back a few hours later.

I'll absolutely be back for the right rate, and to be perfectly honest, I'd happily pay out of pocket for the breakfast at Chez Maggy if I happened to be in town staying elsewhere.
Glad to hear the positive review as I will be staying here this weekend. Thanks for the tip on the butter.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by mag_nate

Room:
Spoiler

Bathroom:
Spoiler

Breakfast & Drinks:
Spoiler

Overall:

Nice review and great pics! Are the toiletries Bowmaker by DS & Durga like the other Thompsons?
Old Apr 13, 2022, 6:44 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Airline Nobody
Originally Posted by Daftryan
Nice review and great pics! Are the toiletries Bowmaker by DS & Durga like the other Thompsons?
I believe this was the brand, yes. This was my first Thompson stay (but tenth brand so I get a new award!!) so I didn’t realize they were chain-wide.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Whats the deal with points/award bookings being blocked out? Almost 60 days since opening....

Has anyone had success with going through Globalist Concierge?
Old Apr 19, 2022, 2:18 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Quick review:

The good: very comfortable bed (mattress seems more plush than most Thompsons), good water pressure in the shower, very tasty breakfast at Chez Maggy as well as good service (proactively bringing me to-go coffee), turndown service provided automatically (with chocolate), lots of water included with handwritten welcome note, Executive Suite upgrade assigned a few days in advance

The okay: front desk service not super inspiring (not bad, but not great), living room in Executive Suite very dark due to lack of lights and no window, poor view on 4th floor, hotel called me at 12:04 PM to ask when I would be leaving even though I had 4 PM checkout

The bad: weird Wi-Fi that would only work on Chrome OS and Android (not my iOS devices)

Old Aug 2, 2022, 1:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Platium. Hyatt Globlist. United Member. WN A-list w/CP. Frontier Elite 100K.
I checked standard room points booking is still blocked at this hotel and has been since it opened. Does anyone know why?
Old Aug 16, 2022, 4:48 pm

Programs: United Premier Plat, Hyatt Diamond
I was able book standard room via Hyatt concierge on twitter. Was told there appears to be a glitch with the app and website. I may end up switching the Hyattcentric anyhow (15,000 versus 29,000 points) but I am curious, might splurge and keep the reservation.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 11:33 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
I made a regular booking (king room) for a night and ended up in the Presidential Suite ("Thompson Suite"). It was superb — I ended up extending for another night. Great bathroom with bath and bath products like salts and bath bombs which we used, big patio, huge living room...

Absurd room service knocks on door at 8 AM (?!) notwithstanding this was an exceptional stay. Great breakfast, and the lunch and dinner food at Chez Maggy's is very good if also very pricy. Valet parking was nice (you can text them to get the car). Bedding is very nice — Sferra linen and super comfy.

This is one of my new favorite Hyatts in the North Americas.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 8:50 am

Programs: United Premier Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by MileHighColorado
I checked standard room points booking is still blocked at this hotel and has been since it opened. Does anyone know why?
This problem seems to be fixed - when I search for random dates there are plenty of standard rooms at 29,000 points. For the first few months after the hotel opened these just didn’t show up online.

I may get credit for fixing this problem. When I called Hyatt in August to see if they could help me they were able to book me a standard room for my 29,000 points stay. I had fogotten about this issue but when I arrived there was a welcome gift (macaroons and a half bottle of red wine) with a written note apologizing for the difficulties I had when booking. That made me smile - well played Thompson GM!

I was given an “executive suite” presumably as a globalist upgrade (or maybe it was as an apology for the above). In any case, there are extensive reviews above, the hotel is lovely, bed comfortable, stylish touches such as a record player and a few vinyls etc. My only criticisms would be that the air vent is in the small living room area of the room and the bedroom is behind the living room so you don’t get a lot of airflow in the bedroom. I like my sleeping chambers cool and I had to turn the temp down to 66 and the fan on high to get the bedroom semi-acceptable. Probably not an issue in regular room or rooms with different configurations.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 9:22 am

Any recent stays that can confirm what the globalist breakfast benefit is? I saw an older post that said it was $25/pp. Is this still the case?

Also wondering if anyone has an opinion on the TSU-eligible suite and if it’s worth using one for a 3 night stay.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Cmag211
Any recent stays that can confirm what the globalist breakfast benefit is? I saw an older post that said it was $25/pp. Is this still the case?

Also wondering if anyone has an opinion on the TSU-eligible suite and if it’s worth using one for a 3 night stay.
If the TSU suite is the executive suite, I would pass - the living room has no good lighting and no windows, so it feels very dark. The bathroom was just a big room with no utility for the extra space. The disinterested front desk agents add to the poor ambience of this overly-expensive property.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 10:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (Full), Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, Wyndham DIA, Hilton Gold, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Cmag211

Stayed here recently. It was $40/person, but they automatically charged 20% service fee and 8% tax.

TSU-eligible suites are Executive Suite and Skyline Suite. I got their Mountain View? Corner Room which wasn’t a suite but had 3 window sections and looked really large and bright. According to the web, this corner room has 396 sqf and both Executive Suite and Skyline Suite have 451 sqf.

Old Dec 31, 2022, 2:09 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
I don't think we ever got any breakfast charges and we ordered a lot. Still love my memories of this place. A real gem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.