Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Thompson Denver REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thompson Denver REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2023, 9:28 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Does anyone know if charges at the either of the dining outlets are considered eligible spend for earning points?
Old Jan 6, 2023, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Alpinetrekker
Does anyone know if charges at the either of the dining outlets are considered eligible spend for earning points?
I think when I was checking properties for the 3x bonus points on Hyatt restaurant spend last year, Thompson Denver did not show any eligible outlets. Best bet, however, is to call and ask.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
How is the hotel location? Is there plenty of dining options nearby?
Old Jan 23, 2023, 7:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (Full), Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, Wyndham DIA, Hilton Gold, AA EXP
Originally Posted by navatwal
I think it’s one of the best locations in DT Denver. Near Larimer Square, RINO etc. Oskar Blues Grill & Brew - microbrewery is next to the hotel, and you can get 25% off as a guest of the Thompson Hotel.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by navatwal
I can almost guarantee you that a quick glance at Google Maps could answer this question for you. It would be even faster.

The answer, though, is good and yes.
ProjectSunburst likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 5:28 am

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
I completed a two-night stay here the weekend before last and loved the hotel. Excellent breakfast, beautiful room, lots of nice little touches. I would definitely return.

Check-in: I booked this the day before arrival; it was around $90/nt more than the GH but I decided to give it a shot. The hotel texted me while I was en route and said they’d upgraded me to a King Balcony but they would have an Executive Suite available later in the day if I preferred that, which I did. I was greeted with Prosecco and was checked in quickly; 4PM check-out was proactively offered.

Executive Suite: Pictured below; the living room is interior from the bedroom so it is a bit dark; also, there is around a 1” gap remaining when you close the door to the bedroom, so it’s not 100% private. I thought everything in the room was beautiful and comfortable. Turndown was provided daily (a small chocolate) and everything was clean. I didn’t have any issues with outside noise.

Location: Very good; around a 5 minute walk to Union Station for the airport train (note: I was shocked that when returning to the airport, there is a small bag drop right on the train platform eliminating the need to go to the main check-in desks - although it closes 90 minutes before your flight, I just barely made it but it worked great). Plenty of dining options nearby and we enjoy Oskar Blues brewery next door.

Breakfast: Outstanding. I loved the Chilaquiles - instead of using chips, the base was a hash brown. I forgot to take a picture but it was excellent. I had an omelette the second day which was also excellent but I preferred the Chilaquiles. Great service and a nice space. As mag_nate mentions above, the butter is excellent - my son’s dish came with butter, we had to order some supplemental toast to be able to have more of it. My family of three each had an entree, coffee/tea, and fruit and it was all covered by the $40/person benefit.

I will definitely return next time I’m in Denver. There were also nice little touches, e.g. carrot cake cookies were in the lobby when we returned the second afternoon and they were delicious. All the staff were great and I don’t have a single complaint. The next weekend I stayed at the GH which also worked well, but the Thompson was definitely better in terms of Breakfast and overall class.

Exec Suite Living Room (couch folds out)

Exec Suite Bedroom

Exec Suite Bathroom

Exec Suite Bathroom (I think this may have been an accessible room, thus the roll-in shower - not sure if they are all like this) - large bottles of DS & Durga toiletries which I enjoy.

Omelette (excellent, but I preferred the Chilaquiles which I forgot to take a photo of)

Last edited by River in Sight; Feb 27, 2023 at 6:18 am
Old Mar 15, 2023, 2:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Be Wary of Room 522

Booked a 3 night stay (Fri, Sat, Sun) and used a suite upgrade for a Skyline Suite. Early check-in at 1 p.m. was no problem and 4 p.m. check-out was offered. Suite was nice but, as mentioned, quite dark especially the living room. I responded to a welcome text that it was my daughter's birthday, and they sent a small bottle of champagne and the most delicious chocolate sea salt caramel candies. Impressed. Very little closet space (armoire) for two people, three days--only spot for luggage was the floor. But we enjoyed the boutique style room. Except the sound proofing was terrible in this particular room. Street noise from loud cars clearly heard. Worse was the clicking of heels/shoes back and forth for hours above our room continuously all night--and moving of furniture and some (?) ball bouncing sounds. I tried to ignore. Next night same thing so I called at 10:15 p.m. Offered to move rooms, I declined it's too late. Then FD agent stated he would "call security" and send them up to quiet things down. After I hung up I did a little research--discovered there's a bar on the 6th floor. Next day I complained again and we were moved to the Mile High (premium) Suite which was much better. Lots of floor to ceiling windows, corner, no dark charcoal colored walls, most importantly it was quiet. Did have to call maintenance to reset the nonworking TVs after return from dinner. Just annoying that initially I was assigned to a problematic room/suite. Nothing better available for a switch until Sunday, our last night. Breakfast was good, $80 for two covered. Would eat elsewhere, however, if paying myself. Had a couple of drinks at the lobby bar one night, expensive and nothing special. Be aware the hotel adds 20% to your food & drink bill, 17% goes to the servers. Because of the good location I'd stay again, walked from Union Station airport RTD train. I checked the price and about a week prior to the stay it went down $40/night; but it still was double that of the Grand Hyatt. The staff here definitely makes a big effort to please.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Steph58
Booked a 3 night stay (Fri, Sat, Sun) and used a suite upgrade for a Skyline Suite. Early check-in at 1 p.m. was no problem and 4 p.m. check-out was offered. Suite was nice but, as mentioned, quite dark especially the living room. I responded to a welcome text that it was my daughter's birthday, and they sent a small bottle of champagne and the most delicious chocolate sea salt caramel candies. Impressed. Very little closet space (armoire) for two people, three days--only spot for luggage was the floor. But we enjoyed the boutique style room. Except the sound proofing was terrible in this particular room. Street noise from loud cars clearly heard.
I just checked and I had the Skyline Suite 322 last time I stayed. It was even worse. Lower down with outrageously loud street noise from loud exhaust cars revving, racing, etc. And absolutely zero view from the third floor. I can imagine it would also be quite loud in 522 with the bar on the sixth floor. I enjoyed the property and was actually able to use most of the amenity fee benefits (especially the free boba tea drinks) but the rooms facing Market Street are just too loud on weekend nights for a restful stay.

Any idea which street the Mile High Suite faced?
Old Mar 15, 2023, 10:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
It was a corner room--bedroom window on Market and living room window faced 16th, room 1116.. View was nice. Outside noise wasn't a problem, but by the time we moved to that room it was a Sunday night. I forgot to mention the amenity fee provides a variety of discounts, even applicable to Globalists (who don't pay the fee). Wish they would have printed something with the list (ok I'm old fashioned), because it was hard to keep track of all the deals. We received 25% off dinner at the restaurant next door, Oskar Blues Grill & Brew. Also, noticed four free tickets to the Denver Zoo. Front desk had some very tasty pastry bites in the afternoon (flaky crust, lemon curd with raspberry were the favorite). Another night we ate at Jax Fish House & Oyster Bar which I'd recommend--no discount but we got lucky and arrived during happy hour. Great deal, that filled us up at a reasonable cost. No shortage of restaurants with good food and various bars in Denver, especially in this area.
Old May 1, 2023, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
I'm thinking about blowing a Cat 7 cert here. How does the breakfast setup here compare the Grand?
Old May 2, 2023, 4:22 am

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
How does the breakfast setup here compare the Grand?
I was at both in February. Grand was a fairly typical buffet. Thompson was MUCH better, truly delicious food. No comparison, Thompson wins on breakfast.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 7:04 pm

Does anyone have any idea how late one can use the breakfast credit? Their menu is now “all day brunch” so I’d prefer to go with my group around 11am and order the non-breakfast items (French onion soup, burger, etc.)
Old Jun 29, 2023, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Is there a lounge? Is there an evening food spread?
Old Jun 29, 2023, 5:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Platium. Hyatt Globlist. United Member. WN A-list w/CP. Frontier Elite 100K.
No lounge
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by MileHighColorado
No lounge
Thank you. I have 10 minutes to decide between the GH and the Thompson. The Thompson is only $8 more expensive, but all the reviews j have read this far said the GH is where I need to be. Decision, decision, decision...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.