Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt further extends expiration of awards plus more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 17, 2021, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: coleslaw
Will my 2021 awards get extended?

All official announcements to date have said that awards issues in 2021 would not be extended. Unofficially, based on anecdotal evidence in this thread, people have been able to get their Cat1-4 and Cat1-7 awards expiring in 2021 extended to end of January 2022. Reports are that this extension can/will only be done on request and during the month of expiration. Some Globalists have reported being able to get their concierge to exchange their expiring awards for points (10k for 1-4 and 20k for 1-7).
Summary of award types and expiration:
  • New card bonus: 6-month
  • Bonus Journeys 2021 Promo: 6-month
  • 30 nights (milestone cat 1-4): 6-month
  • 60 nights (milestone cat 1-7): 6-month
  • Brand Explorer: 12-month
  • CC $15k: 12-month
  • CC annual FN (cat 1-4): 12-month
  • Other CC FN: typically 12-month
History / Background:

Through to the end of 2020, Hyatt had a policy of extending awards issued in 2020 to have an expiration date of 12/31/21. The awards were initially issued with the standard expiration date (see above) and then a batch process ran periodically (roughly every two weeks) to update the expiration dates to 12/31/21. The last batch update ran in the first week of January 2021 to update the expiration dates of awards issued in the last weeks of 2020 (per Hyatt's official expiration date extension policy).

Awards issued in 2021 that were issued before the batch ran to update the
2020 awards were also updated to expire on 12/31/21. This could have been by design (i.e. Hyatt wanted to update the 2021 awards too) or just a byproduct of how the 2020 award update process was set up (i.e. it was easier to update everything that was issued since the previous batch ran rather than try to separate 2020 vs. 2021).

Hyatt may at some point choose to update awards in 2021 to expire on 12/31/21. But they also may not. The unofficial communications so far - i.e. reports from Twitter/Customer Service reps - have been that they will not be updating them. There has been no official announcement either way - but the default assumption should be that awards will not be extended. It's all conjecture until there is an official announcement.

Here is a response to a FlyerTalker's (
hoipolloi's) question to Hyatt on whether 2021 awards will be extended:

Originally Posted by Hyatt Consumer Affairs Department

Thank you for taking the time to provide recommendations and feedback regarding our guest loyalty program, World of Hyatt. This feedback allows us to enhance member experiences. I want to thank you on behalf of Amy and let you know we’re continuously monitoring the situation, as it is very fluid. However, at this time, we do not have any extensions for awards earned in 2021, as we are seeing that our members are able to redeem them. Should this change, we will adjust as soon as possible.

Print Wikipost

Hyatt further extends expiration of awards plus more

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2021, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by coleslaw
That doesn’t really matter. It’s April. The point is that the poster has 59 nights and is not going to stay another night at a Hyatt for the rest of the year so as to avoid triggering the 60 night milestone.

Sure, they may have gotten 30 nights by early Jan and used their status heavily from Jan to April. That’s still leaving the majority of the year where they won’t benefit from being a globalist.
Originally Posted by SHLTP
You do realize there are 8 months after April this year to enjoy Globalist benefits?

Who cares if it is 30 or 60 nights needed for Globalist qualification?

​​​​​​
point taken. Read the post as something else.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 7:31 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Please get back to the topics, Gent's....

We have more serious problem with Marriott FNs expiring on 8/1/2021.... I know it is totally different thread.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 6:46 am

People do realize that cat 7 cert can be used at cat 5 or 6 right. Same with cat 4 which can be used at cat 3 or 2. Now that half the US population is vaccinated and everything opens up, if you can't use the certs then you really never will due to some misplaced fear of traveling. I supported the extension when vaccine was no where in sight, but now I think people are just looking for excuse to maximize their cpp rather than just enjoy a nice domestic trip.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 6:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AndyKehn
People do realize that cat 7 cert can be used at cat 5 or 6 right. Same with cat 4 which can be used at cat 3 or 2. Now that half the US population is vaccinated and everything opens up, if you can't use the certs then you really never will due to some misplaced fear of traveling. I supported the extension when vaccine was no where in sight, but now I think people are just looking for excuse to maximize their cpp rather than just enjoy a nice domestic trip.
And you should be careful that you don’t *accidentally* use a Cat1-7 cert instead of a Cat1-4 when you’re booking a 1-4 property... it’ll take whichever has the closest expiration date.
River in Sight likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 7:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by RedSun

We have more serious problem with Marriott FNs expiring on 8/1/2021.... I know it is totally different thread.
To be fair (and I'm not one to frequently compliment Marriott over Hyatt), the Bonvoy certs I've got expiring in August 2021 were earned in 2019. Some of us have Hyatt certs that were earned two months ago (Feb 2021) that are also expiring in August 2021. Really wish Hyatt would at least temporarily issue certs good for 1 year instead of 6 months while travel remains heavily restricted for many.

-FlyerBeek
Old Apr 23, 2021, 7:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RedSun

Great job keeping things on topic
Old Apr 23, 2021, 7:19 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
To be fair (and I'm not one to frequently compliment Marriott over Hyatt), the Bonvoy certs I've got expiring in August 2021 were earned in 2019. Some of us have Hyatt certs that were earned two months ago (Feb 2021) that are also expiring in August 2021. Really wish Hyatt would at least temporarily issue certs good for 1 year instead of 6 months while travel remains heavily restricted for many.

-FlyerBeek
I think the 6-month thing only affects a very small set of FNs. All the previous 6-month FNs have been extended to end of 2021. Hyatt may just extend all those FN to end of 2021.

But compared with Marriott, I'm happy with Hyatt. I do not have those new 6-month FNs since very few people earned those 6-month Milestone awards from last year. So I do not know how loud we can get to.
FlyerBeek likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 12:52 pm
Suspended

I don't know. For us in Europe, the non-extension of certs earned this year is more of an issue (leaving aside the small number of countries which are farther ahead in their vaccination campaign such as Malta, the UK, or Serbia).

I'm nowhere near 60 nights yet, so cat. 1-7 certs aren't an issue for me personally. But I just earned a 1-4 and may earn another one soon (through allowed essential/work travel). Nevertheless, in the way leisure travel is still heavily restricted, I can't make good use of them. You know, June, July, perhaps August I could use certs. However, travel may still be heavily restricted at the time. Come September, it's busy season for me at work. And come October, these certs may just expire unused...
Old Apr 23, 2021, 2:37 pm
Suspended

why are you bringing common sense into this, you should know on FT all that counts is being able to use a cert at the most peak time to so called save as much as possible, and with hotel rates down its not a good time to use a cert over paying out of pocket.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 4:46 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by craz
why are you bringing common sense into this, you should know on FT all that counts is being able to use a cert at the most peak time to so called save as much as possible, and with hotel rates down its not a good time to use a cert over paying out of pocket.
I mean, I burned two certs in the last six weeks (in New Orleans...one was a mistake because the hotel's website sort-of misrepresents the current parking situation, so I didn't get my included Globalist parking with it; the other was a perfectly good use of it). One was at a Category 3 hotel, the other a Category 4 hotel...and I think both are fine uses. OTOH, I can see not wanting to burn a cert at a Category 1/2 hotel (where it arguably makes more sense to use points if you're going to do anything award-wise).

But on the other hand, I can see preferring to pay cash now (if one needs to stay) and burn certs over the summer, or preferring to pay cash while on someone else's dime, and for a lot of folks that's the only travel that's happening (particularly in Europe, where I suspect that at most some folks might have been limping out stays at a nearby hotel to try and retain status).
Old Apr 23, 2021, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Globalist is 30 nights. The only thing he/she is missing is concierge which is a dumpster fire anyway. Twitter does a better job.
My Concierge beats Twitter like a rented mule.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
My Concierge beats Twitter like a rented mule.
You got lucky!

My concierge is helpful, but if it’s something relatively straightforward that I need/want done quickly then Twitter is unbeatable (for me).
Old Apr 23, 2021, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I mean, I burned two certs in the last six weeks (in New Orleans...one was a mistake because the hotel's website sort-of misrepresents the current parking situation, so I didn't get my included Globalist parking with it; the other was a perfectly good use of it). One was at a Category 3 hotel, the other a Category 4 hotel...and I think both are fine uses. OTOH, I can see not wanting to burn a cert at a Category 1/2 hotel (where it arguably makes more sense to use points if you're going to do anything award-wise).

But on the other hand, I can see preferring to pay cash now (if one needs to stay) and burn certs over the summer, or preferring to pay cash while on someone else's dime, and for a lot of folks that's the only travel that's happening (particularly in Europe, where I suspect that at most some folks might have been limping out stays at a nearby hotel to try and retain status).
Curious -- which NoLa hotel misrepresents their parking situation? I fly through NoLa quite a bit (it's the most direct flight within driving distance to a lot of the rest of the south) -- so was planning to burn a Cat4 ticket on a pre/post-flight night in town.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 8:49 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by AllThePants
Curious -- which NoLa hotel misrepresents their parking situation? I fly through NoLa quite a bit (it's the most direct flight within driving distance to a lot of the rest of the south) -- so was planning to burn a Cat4 ticket on a pre/post-flight night in town.
The Hyatt Regency New Orleans. The issue is virus specific (and I suspect is starting to "self-resolve": The website isn't terribly clear that you can't charge any of the non-valet parking options to the room:
-The presence of a detailed parking fee chart, despite mentioning a third-party company, isn't clear that the parking goes to them separately. There are other situations, such as the HR Orlando International, where if you're staying at the hotel you can use the airport lot but it can charge to your room. Likewise, at the Eliza Jane parking is with a local company...but they simply hand you a parking pass to park in a lot that's one or two buildings over, so the situation (again) isn't clear.
-It isn't mentioned that self-parking can't use the valet lot...something which would make sense in the present situation since the hotel wasn't using the space at all...and I believe some lots are split between the two at different hotels (e.g. the restaurant valet at the HP Boca Raton uses level 3 of the garage while the HP uses the higher levels). If anything, the parking page gives the impression that both operations might be handled by a third party (e.g. the HR Atlanta outsources the valet operation to a local company).
-IIRC in March, the mobile site was using the "older" message they had from January (I've been checking the Internet Archive and the message seems to have been swapped on the main site in early March, but "main site updated" doesn't always copy to mobile versions and vice-versa) which made no mention of the parking situation (they had recently added a note on the subject).

As of now (I just checked, and things are steadily changing), it is even more goofy: Valet is available, but only on Friday/Saturday (which makes it both not a "virus safety measure" since they can clearly do it "safely" and highly frustrating if you have a "long weekend" stay). It's a close-to-full-service operation during the weekend and bupkis during the week now. But even now, the little window doesn't make it clear that someone staying Thursday-Sunday or Friday-Monday (say, over Memorial Day?) on an award would be unable to charge one of the nights to their room.

(The upgraded suite that I got was nice...it was a Deluxe Suite that was large enough to be a comfortable apartment for one (just under 700 sq ft per the website). But the parking situation still grates since I had to choose between "unexpecetedly pay $25" and "park on the street"...the room rate was low enough that I would likely have paid cash if I'd been able to sort that, but since the mobile website was missing key details AFAICT...)

Edit: I might also kvetch about the "room service only" situation with food come breakfast, but between having spent the day driving from Augusta, GA and getting in at close to 0200 IIRC, I wasn't going to be up for it. I have no idea if they totally failed to honor on this front/failed to offer compensation. Again, the Eliza Jane at least threw 500 points at me in compensation.

Last edited by GrayAnderson; Apr 23, 2021 at 9:15 pm
Old Apr 24, 2021, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by craz
You're quite right. Since people can't get 3+ cents per point (or the equivalent via a certificate), they should not use the certificates at all, just out of principle...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.